July 16, 2013

7-Day Trial for Video Blocks Gets You 140 Free Downloads of Stock Footage and More

VideoBlocksNeed to stock up on stock footage, but you're running low on couch-quarters? Video Blocks has got you covered. The "first subscription-based" resource to provide stock footage, sound effects, motion backgrounds, and more, Video Blocks offers a 7-day trial subscription -- which means 7 days of up to 20 free downloads. That's 140 downloads total. So, do you need some free stock footage stat? Are you new to Video Blocks? If so, we've got details on how to get your hands on a free trial subscription after the jump.

Video Blocks is offering 7 days of free downloads for new account holders -- which means you'll have to enter your information and credit card deets, though you can cancel at any time. Though most of the clips are short and shot in 29.97 fps (why, Video Blocks, why?), there are some gems in the 4K and production music categories. Some clips rival Getty Images' to the T (compare this $6180 Getty Images clip to the Video Blocks version), and the After Effects Templates will have your grandma slamming out YouTube sensations before you can count to 3.

Now, I'm no big stock footage aficionado. I can't really think of anything I'm working on at the moment that requires Video Blocks' popular motion background hit, "Glowing Rain." But sometimes you just gotta have a slow motion shot of money falling through a black abyss, and in those moments, Video Blocks is there for you.

As soon as they add a filter for frames per second, I'll consider jumping on an actual subscription. If you're with me and appreciate the offer, but don't want to pay the $79/month fee, remember to cancel before your 7-day trial is up -- put it on your calendar, or you'll end up like these none-too-happy Yelpers.

Last but not least, Video Blocks acquires about half its content through user submissions, though I can't say I've ever tried the option. Has anyone sold footage to Video Blocks or Getty Images? Pros and cons?

Link: VideoBlocks website

Personal data and credit card number for a free trial? Naw, thanks...

July 16, 2013 at 12:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

I really appreciate the approach you took with this post. After reading the headline, I expected a shameless plug for an advertiser. But the piece it's extremely well balanced to include documented concerns about this service, which I've turned down in the past because there's no way to try it without handing over personal information along with a credit card number.

Sidenote: Many companies collect that kind of info, bundle and sell it to data mining firms. (I don't know if Video Blocks does this, but the potential for it is there.)

July 16, 2013 at 12:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Shawn

I am pretty sure they have had this deal for a long time.

I remember seeing this deal at least a year ago.

I don't trust giving out my CC info. Especially for things like this.

July 16, 2013 at 12:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Videoscaper

Yes, it has been around for a while. I also ignored it the first time I heard about it -- but when I needed a quick clip and didn't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for the Getty Images version, I gotta say VB came through (I cancelled on day 6 and haven't had any mysterious credit card charges since then. Of course that's just my experience).

July 16, 2013 at 3:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Laura Gamse
Writer
Director/Producer

Just build your own stock catalog. It's really easy to spot stock house footage.

July 16, 2013 at 12:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pat

Very true. But sometimes you need shots that just aren't feasible with your budget and timeline. I'm waiting for someone to start up a crowdsourced footage website that doesn't rip off the filmmakers (ie, a site that only takes a small commission for uniting the copyright-owner and the client) and has quality footage that doesn't look like it was shot inside a vacuous orb.

July 16, 2013 at 3:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Laura Gamse
Writer
Director/Producer

A word to the wise - I don't think anyone actually pays $79/month for Video Blocks. If you cancel your trial they send you offers to subscribe to the exact same service for a fraction of the price. I did it for a few months when I needed a lot of graphic elements and music but canceled after finding that a lot of the content just wasn't very good. PremiumBeat.com is a better source of music, inexpensive Motion/FCPx plug-ins are a better source of graphics, and I personally don't have a use for stock footage.

July 16, 2013 at 1:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Thanks Jay! Yep, they bend over backwards to try to get you after that initial trial. I put a filter on their emails to direct 'em into an archived folder until next time I need a cheap clip...

July 16, 2013 at 3:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Laura Gamse
Writer
Director/Producer

I paid $99 for one year :)
It was a special promotion

July 17, 2013 at 6:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ATV

Wow.. that is really Nice Video Clip thank you so much

July 17, 2013 at 1:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Stockfootage... Gosh im having a hard time accepting it. If you want to make movies then make movies, plan, film and edit. I also think that most of the footage has a real 90's feel over it and would not waste my time finding the least bad looking footage.

If a aerial shot is out of your budget then sure you could maybe buy one but I still think its a bit wrong. I also believe that in many cases you will almost to 100% be able to tell if it is a stock clip.

July 17, 2013 at 9:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Andres

" (compare this $6180 Getty Images clip to the Video Blocks version)," I did - the Getty one is far superior, particularly in terms of framing and in my opinion, usability.

July 18, 2013 at 12:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ronn

Haha, I don't disagree...but I'm not about to pay the price for the former, and in comparison a free price tag on the latter (using the free trial) doesn't sound too bad...

November 6, 2013 at 12:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Laura Gamse
Writer
Director/Producer

Videoblocks is a nice idea. I signed up for a free trial and downloaded several clips only to find out that their aerial shots have strong strobing. Some clips don't have strobing, but it's impossible to convert them from 29.97 to a usable format like 24fps, 23.976. I wasted countless hours on this. Why in hell did they shoot in 29.97??? NO matter what I try I can not get a smooth playback in 24fps with converted clips.

July 18, 2013 at 5:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Raymond

I invite anyone to google video block before you give them any credit card info. You will see not just a few bad reviews ....but hundreds and hundreds of bad press from around the world. Stories of people who they charged double and triple. Also god forbid you go to 7 days and one hour. I am kinda surprised you would even recommend them. Buyer beware big time !

July 18, 2013 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

FAZI

Nice Video Clip Thanks

July 26, 2013 at 6:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

August 5, 2014 at 11:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VideoBlocks offers an affordable "all you can eat" stock media site with unlimited downloads. Many users begin with a free trial of 20 downloads a day for 7 days. Much like Audible and Netflix, the trial requires a credit card to limit one per customer. Our trial is absolutely obligation free, you can cancel anytime and can still keep your downloads. If a user neglects to cancel and is billed they can contact our support staff and will be refunded if they downloaded nothing after the 7th day. Memberships are $99 for a year of unlimited downloads- there is no more affordable source of stock media out there. Hope this helps!

November 3, 2014 at 9:52AM

Brian P
Content Marketing Manager

Awesome post Laura! VideoBlocks is great, but not everyone can afford $100/yr for premium content. It should be worth mentioning that EditorsDepot has tons of free after effects content.

March 29, 2016 at 3:55PM, Edited March 29, 3:55PM

Maurice Ramos
Founder, EditorsDepot

I have found a new stock footage platform with some nice content. They have incredible low prices, you can find R3D files with 100$ and ProRes 4k with 10$.
Try it out, maybe it will help you! They also have a 10day free trial and you get 20 free videos. No credit card required!

November 10, 2016 at 9:19AM, Edited November 10, 9:20AM