July 8, 2013

First RAW Images from the Digital Bolex D16 Camera Finally Unveiled

The Digital Bolex D16 camera is on the last legs of its journey towards completion. The project was Kickstarted in March 2012, and was envisioned as a camera for filmmakers that would produce high-quality RAW "digital negatives" from a Super 16mm-sized sensor without any excuses or compromises on image quality. While there have been a number of setbacks and issues since then (you can read about those here), the first cameras will be shipping soon. We saw the final design for the D16 in February, but now we're actually getting our first images from the nearly-completed camera, and for those who've got one coming -- they look pretty fantastic.

Here's what Joe from Digital Bolex said about the shots in a recent post:

The images aren’t perfect of course. The temperature is a little yellow, there is a dead pixel, and some other small issues, but I love the texture of the images, and the natural organic look. I am so happy with what these images look like for the stage we are at.
There is still a lot of tweaking we have to do to get these images to where they need to be, but we have come so far in just the last couple of weeks I believe we will get there very soon!
Below are the raw files so you can transcode them yourself. I transcoded these using RPP as the new debayer algorithm in our software isn’t ready yet. I turned off all the sharpen settings, used film curve, and auto color.

These were shot with a 15mm Elitar Soligor, 26mm Kern-Paillard Pizar AR, and Canon 50mm 0.95, in that order (click for larger):

The camera is clearly capable of some gorgeous skin tones and sharp detail -- though a lot can change in processing as we know from all of the other RAW-shooting cameras. The Kodak CCD sensor being used is similar to the one in the Ikonoskop, and we've already seen some of the incredible and organic-feeling images that camera can produce. Even though the D16 shoots RAW, there is still a lot that needs to be done to tweak the image in the camera, as the sensor can be infinitely adjusted and the images have to pass through an Analog to Digital converter to become something you can actually record and work with.

On a slightly different note, a lot of negativity has been sent the way of the Digital Bolex team, much of it not even about the camera itself. I personally love the design of the camera (the handle is easily removable), and I've made it clear that I want to see more thought when it comes to designing cameras. There is no reason why camera design and camera function have to be mutually exclusive, just as they aren't with houses, cars, computers -- basically anything you use on a daily basis. A beautiful tool might function as well as an ugly tool, but if a company cares about the work being done with the tool, every facet of the design is important. So if you've got something unproductive to say that has nothing to do with the images the camera is creating, just move along.

Either way, the images are looking great. It's not quite a video yet, but as Joe said, they will be uploading full sequences soon, likely before the first cameras actually ship. They have made available the Cinema DNG files so that you can play around with them yourself, so head on over to the Digital Bolex website and download them.

For those who ordered one, the wait is almost over: the first 100 cameras should be shipping in August. For anyone who doesn't have one on order but wants to jump on the list, they will be having their next presale for new cameras in August.

Link: It’s Alive! First CinemaDNG Frames from the Digital Bolex -- Digital Bolex Website

[via Digital Bolex Twitter]

Here come the comments, in spite evidence to the contrary, about this camera being vaporware...

July 8, 2013 at 8:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Coty

*in spite of

July 8, 2013 at 8:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Coty

I look forward to trying one out. I'm not that interested in owning one, but the more cameras out there the merrier!
PS: I LOVE the design.

July 8, 2013 at 8:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

I can't really see the "gorgeous" skin tone on those images.

July 8, 2013 at 8:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sganz

The last two images don't open to larger versions.

July 8, 2013 at 8:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

That was a test. You passed. :)

July 8, 2013 at 8:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Phew! Thank you Lumosity.

July 8, 2013 at 9:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

I imagine you're happier with your brain! OK...before this devolves into nonsense only three people will understand...

July 8, 2013 at 9:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I like the Lumosity girl.

July 9, 2013 at 7:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

FabDex

Joe it seems that my previous comments and post was deleted

no disrespect to you , but this is my opinion

I FIND it very suspect and funny that we keep getting updates that camera shipments are right around the corner, but what is even more suspecious is that usually companies have working prototypes , its just logical. Second it seems that this company is more concerened with everything except putting out a camera.

Seriously they spent time demonstrating lens and demonstrated them on GH3, Then they talk about possible future 4k camera developments.

this camera and the BS Vapor updates are completely a joke and as silly as the proposed manufactured lens they developed and tested on every camera but theirs.

2 years later we are here talking about still images,

Honestly like i said before i hope they prove the opposite of being VAPORWARE, but seriously we do not care about leather straps, leather tote bags, lens developments, non functional hand cranks, or anything other than an actual camera. For all we know these images could have been taken by another camera, T

this company has showed us everything under the sun except for a working camera.

July 9, 2013 at 8:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jay clout

Because this has all been said before and it adds nothing. It has not been two years. Not even close. The development didn't really start in full until after the Kickstarter was funded, so we're looking at maybe a year. An entire camera was built from the ground up in a little over a year. For such a small team that's remarkable.

If you want to criticize the still images, that's fine, but everything else that is being shown or announced from other companies without being released could equally be considered vaporware. The Canon 1D X was delayed last year for about 6 months. There was no outrage on here because it's mostly a still camera. Delays happen, but this kind of conversation is so unproductive.

July 9, 2013 at 9:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Joe not once did i call the digital bolex team out of their names, so your post removal or denial of my statements that were relevant to the topic was childish, the only error i stated was 2 year statment and that was being sarcastic, not once did i say anything disrespectful or personel about the team, not once did i even call them hippys, unlike many people on here that constantly calls them hipsters.

Honestly i could care less about them personally , which is why my conversation pertained to the camera or lack there of.

You state that this has been said time and time before, well i cant help if it has been said time and time before if we constantly posts about "everything under the sun other than a working prototype". My statements are direct responses to posts only.

I do not care if it has been 8 months or 3 years, suspect is suspect, until they show a working prototype, then we have been mislead. When they started the kickstarter campaign they showed supposed clips and blown out depth of field footage , but since the kickstarter campain a year later, we have not seen one lick of new video. This is my point, if these guys never had an official prototype of real footage, they should have beeen honest from the start.

I mean seriously they showed news lens but did not even test it on the prototype

Im all for blogs that govern posts that are offensive with language, name calling, or disrespectful off topic comments, but everything i stated was in response to the camera.

If you read the post again , you will see where i even stated that I hope they could prove the VAPORWARE callings wrong. Up until now had alot of respect for this site , but those actions was not cool.

July 9, 2013 at 10:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jay clout

In light of your comments on the Bolex I would love to hear how you feel about RED....

July 10, 2013 at 12:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Hank Carter

and BMD

July 10, 2013 at 4:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You seem to have such a personal vendetta against the Bolex team everybody reading you is wondering why. You seem to inject so much time and energy in trying to circulate the notion that the D16 is "vaporware" every time there is news around it.
Why is this such a personal battle for you?

Just let go man. For your sake.

July 10, 2013 at 2:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brody

RAW photographs! Yeah!

July 8, 2013 at 8:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Premini

Exactly.

July 9, 2013 at 7:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

FabDex

where ML mk lll raw stable version ? should mop the floor with anything out there ...

July 8, 2013 at 8:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sjk

Looks pretty good to me. Not that we can get definitive results from these photos but for doc work the image seems pretty nice so far. I totally respect what these people are doing and can't help to root for them.

July 8, 2013 at 8:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Marino

Not hating on the DBolex, but if you're holding out for it to be a documentary camera you may be a little disappointed...

July 9, 2013 at 11:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

Interesting, but why do you say?

July 9, 2013 at 6:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Marino

the images look great

July 8, 2013 at 9:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

thadon calico

The images are nice, nuanced. And the one thing that stands out to me about this camera from the first time I saw it is the XLR, 24 bit, 96 kHz audio. I like how it looks too. The frame rate is a bit wanting. But, the price knocks the wind out my desire to buy one. And I really like the look. It will just be an item seen in window shopping for me. :-(

July 8, 2013 at 10:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Are they still aiming at around $3K? It might find a niche for the time being, if the combination of IQ, workflow and price seems right.

July 8, 2013 at 11:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

As the commenter below says, BMPCC, $995.00. Though it doesn't have the audio the Bolex has.

July 8, 2013 at 11:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

IQ-wise, let's see what the D16 footage will look like but my first impressions is that it's in another league compared to the Pocket (roll-offs, sharpness, color rendition).
I think that they are just different tools for different use.
The Pocket's compact size may be great but the D16 should definitely do a better job at being a cinema camera.
The coming weeks will be exciting for sure!

July 9, 2013 at 5:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

pask

maybe there'll be comparison videos. we all loves us them comparison videos

July 9, 2013 at 9:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

like gene said, comparison videos will hopefully appear, we all love them :D as long as we put the bolex against a t2i, red dragon, and jvc home camcorder, i think the test will mean a lot :P

July 10, 2013 at 8:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

As long as they render the Red Dragon down to 720p we'll feel it's a fair shoot out. Wyatt Earp should have a pop gun at the OK Corral. :P

July 10, 2013 at 9:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

July 8, 2013 at 10:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Blackmagic FTW. That's where my money's going. I don't doubt that some people will be able to get great images out of this camera and that it's going to very usable for some people... but I just can't help thinking that too much effort and R&D was put into making it look "retro" and "hip". It just throws up all sorts of Red Flags about the company. For example... after the camera ships... how much effort will be put into making color-science adjustments and improving software (addition of prores maybe?)... and then how much time and effort will be put into making useless "toys" like retro crank wheels, lens turrets for out-dated lenses, and more dumb handles that people are going to take off anyways... ? I just don't think their heads are in the right place for this to be a company I'm willing to sink money into. Give me a box with a battery. That is it. Why do people need their cameras to be "hip looking"... what type of filmmakers are DB exactly trying cater too?

July 9, 2013 at 1:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

bwhitz

Seeing as you can get a m4/3 lens mount, you can use pretty much any lens you can think of. And if you think vintage lenses are "out of date" I don't even know what to say. Different lenses are used to achieve different looks, and not everyone wants the hyper sterile look of new cutting edge glass. I too am looking at getting a pocket cinema camera, but this thing looks pretty amazing as well. It has a specific aesthetic purpose, but the image quality and form factor are pretty amazing. You may want a box with a battery, but I want something with good ergonomics. This thing looks easy to rig, and easier to manage handheld with the pistol grip.

July 9, 2013 at 2:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Matt

i wouldn't drag on too much about the retro & hip and then support BMPCC, since they are employing the new & hip of Apple (both in design of the camera itself and for instance their website). the BMPCC is almost equal in being a camera of which the form does not fully follow function. even though I'm still very interested in the BMPCC, you'll still be stuck with a cmos sensor.. whereas the Bolex will finally set 'budget' camera's free of flabby rolling shutter footage, no?

July 9, 2013 at 5:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

tc

"the BMPCC is almost equal in being a camera of which the form does not fully follow function."

Honesty I don't see any camera on the market today with a form that "doesn't allow function". What exactly do you mean by this? Cameras are boxes with record buttons on them... if you think that the shape or design of a camera is really effecting you work, and not allowing the full "function", then you're looking for a scapegoat.

July 9, 2013 at 4:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

bwhitz

Filmmakers who care about and nurture the entire process, who look and perfect the tiniest of details.
If this is your philosophy is as a filmmaker than everything else in life will reflect that...

July 9, 2013 at 7:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Will

rolling shutter = jellow cam
= no go.
done

July 10, 2013 at 2:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brody

Hmmm, looks pretty good. I dunno, I think I'll wait until the full frame version.

joking aside, these look like the ikonoskop. i'm really excited to see what the first 100 will make.

July 8, 2013 at 11:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

alex

I really like:
"The temperature is a little yellow, there is a dead pixel, and some other small issues"

Dead pixel and color cast are "small issues"?! Just several weeks before the first batch of cameras is sent to the brave ones who pre-ordered?

July 8, 2013 at 11:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marcel

Yes they are small issues because they are fixed in software tweaking. Most of the work is done. All camera sensors have dead pixels at one point or another. They can simply sampled out with surrounding pixels in the camera.

July 8, 2013 at 11:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Well the BM4k's supposed to be a couple weeks out, and there aren't even any images at all. Not that I think that's a problem...you're just clearly being silly.

July 9, 2013 at 4:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gabe

POCKET

July 9, 2013 at 5:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tulio

Last footage we got from the Pocket had no sound and the firmware wasn't ready either...

July 9, 2013 at 5:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

pask

well atleast we got some type of footage, at least we got some lowlight footage out in the field, as opposed to picture stills, as opposed to updates about modlings of the body instead actual video footage.

Again if the company is 3 years away from completion then let it be known , black magic had setbacks but they were logical setbacks, sensor manufacturing problems and even then they still had several working prototypes floating out in the wild.

There has not been any video evidence since the completion of a successful kickstarter campaign goal, no working prototype, which i find odd seeing how there was some video prior to campaign, you move foward not backwards .

July 9, 2013 at 10:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jay clout

I see it like that:
you can go "we will make that amazing camera targetted at the mass market for that great price because it's made somewhere in the far East, look at our gorgeous website and prototypes, truth is all you need is us" and then crack that whip on your production chain to make it happen. When sh*t happens (the sensor thing), communicate scarcely, saying that things will fall into place sometime in the future. This is my impression from BMD (but I still very respect what they manage to produce).
Or you can humbly an openly communicate where you actually are with the handcrafting of a one-of-a-kind camera targetted at a niche market, be involved on your forum on daily basis to answer personnally to most posts and provide feedback to most potential users' ideas and not promise things that you are not 101% sure you can deliver. The latter is more what I see the Digital Bolex team doing, and I personnally like it more.
It may be less re-assuring for people used to bold statements from large companies with a proper communication budget. I also agree that going for Digital Bolex takes quite a bit of faith as it basically means trusting a few guys with a dream. And that's exactly what I like with them: they are not only designing a new camera, but they are also pioneering a new business model. I want this "indie" business model to succeed.
Anyways, to each his own and I hear your frustration not to have seen more evidence of this camera but I've been witnessing how dedicated Joe & the Digital Bolex team have been throughout the entire process and I stay confident that this camera will turn out to be a little gem for those who dare to make a little effort to think out of the (sensor) box.

July 10, 2013 at 4:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Look at how the shadows are clean and the sweet roll-offs, that I can't see from the Black Magic Pocket for sure (even though I also have a ordered a Pocket).
Also the ergonomics are way better than an unbalanced NEX-type camera for hand-held shooting and the fact that it respects the Bolex lineage feels totally natural to me.
Also, it comes with a 400GB internal hard drive, dual CF slots, a battery that will last 3-4 hours and a Pomfort bundled software. The fact that it is c-mount and has inter-changeable mounts is also great.
Overall, I find it to be a very attractive and well-priced camera for indie film makers.
Also the team is very responsive and deals with followers' ideas very openly, which is a very nice treat compared to BMD's ivory-tower type of communication.
My understanding is that the Digital Bolex team aims at producing a camera that will last over the years and not create just one more disposable gadget that will be outdated next NAB and - seeing how they involve into the projetct - I'm totally confident that this camera will evolve over the years (firmware, etc.).
Now, they have always said that this might not be the camera for everybody.

July 9, 2013 at 5:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

pask

To all people saying : BMC pocket camera or cinema camera ! I say two things :
-F***ing Rolling Shutter
-Does the Pocket Camera can handle Raw files ? What's this "firmware update" for compressed raw ond SD cards ?
And about the look and effort they put on this camera, I can only responf, did you tried to work with a blackmagic camera ?! A shoe box has more design work on it... It's a non sense to say that you don't need good design. Do you prefer solar cars or a good old Chevy ?

July 9, 2013 at 5:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

BM could have made the Pocket with a cool like Fonzie look but it would have cost more. They wanted to keep it under $1000.00. So they made it simple as possible. God Bless BM for being a company that thinks about cost. Canon could learn a lesson from them.

July 9, 2013 at 9:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

"A shoe box has more design work on it… It’s a non sense to say that you don’t need good design. Do you prefer solar cars or a good old Chevy ?"

Yes, cause the audience is really going to care about what what your camera looked like on set...

"man that movie was pretty good... but you know what would have made it better? A camera that looked cooler when they were filming it."

I rest my case that this camera is not actually targeted at film-makers. The thought of how my camera "looks" has never once gone through my head until this thread... that is nuts!

July 9, 2013 at 4:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

bwhitz

Seriusly, who want to buy this camera?

July 9, 2013 at 7:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Nelson

I see no future for the Digital Bolex. They'll sell a few, then crash and burn. There's no way a Kickstarted company can offer proper support and upgrades. I think of this camera as a curiosity, not a serious player in the pro market. But, hey: what really counts is what you do with the tool, not the tool itself.

July 9, 2013 at 7:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

FabDex

The camera is financed by Joe having sold his stake in his previous company, probably partly by Ienso, the developing company for the electronics, a further (unnamed) investor, and a little bit by Kickstarter. They seem surprisingly well funded. Otherwise, they would have run out of money by now. What do you think how long the USD 250,000 from the Kickstarter campaign would last when they have to pay ten people?

July 10, 2013 at 2:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Thyl Engelhardt

Our team. Much better audio, goal shutter, looks like much better color gradients, much easier to use as production camera than a BMPCC, greater selection of lenses,, better recordng time, lower media cost. Worse LCD, no prores, requires accessories, less DR, larger size so requires bigger stabilization rig, lower ISO

July 9, 2013 at 7:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Philip Lipetz

I want to buy it. It seems to have real nice colors, global shutter, good design, really great audio (it's about time in camera).

Why do you think somebody buy a C100 for exemple? Because it's usability. It saves you money on the set. If this is your work you know what can make your work easier...

About the theory that Digital Bolex will crash and burn..... No business will go bankrupt just becasue they sell a few units. Ikonoskop in Sweden is going really well and they make more or less handmade cameras. Not everything has to be made by big companies. There are many other manufacturers too making few units a year.

July 9, 2013 at 9:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Martin

Ikonoskop is on life support, Martin. At any rate, one would think that at a $3K targeted price point, BMD's CC 2.5K is more of a direct competitor, though the two have different strengths and weaknesses. The Pocket Cam is a nice option - once it's delivered - but probably more in the GH3/GH2 Hack class. The real threat to Bolex is down the road from the major manufacturers, as the 4K comes down in price.

July 9, 2013 at 10:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

If things are bad for Ikonoskop it's really sad. They make a really cool camera though a bit pricey.

July 9, 2013 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Martin

"No business will go bankrupt just becasue they sell a few units."

What business school did you go to? Best be asking for your money back.

July 9, 2013 at 11:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

Depends on how many units you sell and how much your profit is for every unit. And what it cost to manufacture and develop products. What a few units means is hard to put a number on if you don't know their business plan.
What I'm trying to say is that a business like Digital Bolex doesn't have to be in jeopardy just because most people would buy a Black Magic camera instead. They can still survive as a niche company making digital 16 cameras which indeed is a niche.

July 9, 2013 at 4:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Martin

I see what you mean. That comment of mine sounded pretty snarky, didn't it... I apologize.

July 10, 2013 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brian

To a certain extent, he is right. Morgan's boss once said that he had seen lots of car manufacturers go bancrupt because they build too many cars, but none because they build too few. If you keep your costs under control, and find customers willing to pay a price neccessary to make a profit at the given total output, and finally, only produce when you know that the prodcuts will be sold, you can be fine with just a few of whatever you produce.

DB is quite smart in this regard. They outsource some of the labor to contracting companies, so that they only need a very small final assembly line (that is required anyway, because every camera will be individually adjusted to optimise the sensor read-out). And they only produce cameras that have actually been ordered.

July 10, 2013 at 2:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Thyl Engelhardt

I'm putting an order in.

Don't be fooled by the quirky retro looks. The camera may look goofy, but the technology behind it is really impressive. They even got hold of some of the major Kodak / Truesense engineers to help with the color science and it shows even in these early stills. Just look at the blacks. The images just fall in to place in Davinci.

Joe is a character, but if you talk to the guy you realize that he really knows his sh#t and is in this for the long haul. I think he also has a really good business sense and this is not his first startup.

July 9, 2013 at 11:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Hank Carter

Nobody, please - so that I can get mine before you do ;-)

July 10, 2013 at 4:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

It shows normal folks with ingenuity can create something people can use. Every single brand started this way and you don't hear about it that often...oh wait...Google, Microsoft, HP; they appeared out of thin air!

The D16 is the beginning: two people in the garage making something instead of taking what's given to them. Let stop and think about what'll happen if they survive. What will video look like? How much will cameras cost?

July 10, 2013 at 9:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

meanwhile, in magic lantern land....

July 9, 2013 at 7:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hr0t

You mean the place where video still doesn't look as good as a GH3?

July 9, 2013 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

lol.."poor" gh3 owners, they think that it's a competition :)

July 9, 2013 at 10:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

Projecting?

I, personally, am not looking at it that way. I'm looking at it as a study in sociology and psychology. It's the best case for such I have seen in a few years. It's kinda amusing to me too.

I think some 5D owners feel insecure about the video quality of a 5D. So they are defensive about it. And they overreact to improvement hacks that come along---God hath split the heavens for them! They also avoid pointing obvious faults in 5D's---pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I can see wanting a 5D over a GH for the still image quality. The 5D does make better stills than a GH. No argument there at all. But any Fuji camera makes better images, even the cute little, classic looking X100, than a 5D. One could buy a GH3 for video, and a Fuji X-E1 for stills, and have better video/stills quality than a 5D3---and pay less than for a 5D3.

No, not a competition for me.

July 9, 2013 at 7:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Relax, many people have both, including me, and there is no comparison between the 5d3 raw and the gh3, like there is no comparison between the 5D3 stock and the raw.. No need to be ignorant and think that the gh3 is better in "any" way to the 5d3, get over it, accept it :)

July 10, 2013 at 7:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

No need for me to get over anything.

And others, like Luke Neumann, are not as enthusiastic about the 5D3ML being better than a GH like you are:

"..... Still torn on the results to be honest. The GH2 is using a 146Mbps Driftwood hack and was set to Smooth (Contrast -2).

Lens used - Nikkor Ai-s 80-200mm f 4 (set to f 8 for each camera)

The fact that the Mark III now looks about as sharp as a hacked GH2 is mind blowing. A week ago this comparison would have been a landslide in favor of the GH2....."

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBc7i1Q_0w]

July 10, 2013 at 9:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

lol.."poor" gh3 owners, they think it's a competition :)

July 9, 2013 at 11:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

The more options the better, so very glad to see the digital bolex continuing to improve.

July 9, 2013 at 11:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I'm fortunate/hard working enough to own a Scarlet and a GH3, and I think the digital Bolex is shaping up to be a stunning camera. I love the design, the ergonomics, and the initial stills look great. I also love what BM is doing. But the way the Bolex is shaping up. It would be my preference.

A big thing for me is this is a camera that's a lot closer to plug and play. That means less money spent, less fuss, and more time being creative. That's a big win to me.

July 9, 2013 at 12:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The sensor size and lack of compressed raw kills it for me. If it had cineform or even a s35 sized sensor then I'd be all over this. I love the global shutter.

July 9, 2013 at 1:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

bob

I didn't care about this camera but I read so many negative comments that I really want it to be successful now. It reminds me of all the shit that was said about the Fuji X100 still camera when it came out, its useless retro look and everything…

July 9, 2013 at 1:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Antoine

It is certainly possible Digital Bolex will end up bust in a year or two. Then again, if their camera delivers image quality that is impressive and a workflow that isn't a complete b*tch, they have a real shot at success. The global shutter is a huge huge HUGE plus. Not to mention the vast assortment of lens choices one will have with this camera. I am following closely and while I will absolutely buy a BM Compact, I am open to buying the DB.

July 9, 2013 at 3:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Matt Stevens

How much longer before it ships?

July 9, 2013 at 10:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heather War

Stu Maschwitz did his own color correction on the Bolex provided images in Lightroom 5 and the shots look even better. I think.

July 10, 2013 at 1:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

This doesn't look very nice to me. Skin tone off, highlights blown out.
A dude on the bolex forum did a much better pass than any I've seen yet. Compared to the other versions on the forum that look quite awful, this is a departure.

July 10, 2013 at 2:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Brody

I like these images. I'm not looking for the best camera ever, nor the best sensor or color sience ever. This camera want to be a 3k$ raw camera that works out of the box, and for that price I can't expect the same images of the RED or Alexa or even a 12k$ sony or canon.

I think the bolex guys are doing a great job, full of difficulties and problems they are facing off, and I have a great respect for those guys. even with the lack of big news about a working prototype I'm still very interested in buying one camera hopefully in the nex future.

Thanks for the news NFS!

July 11, 2013 at 3:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Andrea

S35 and I'm in. I have a nice lens set but not enough wides to make S16 practical. I'd gladly drop 5-6K$ for a S35 like this that has compressed raw.

July 11, 2013 at 5:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

bob

Wait, it is the biggest plus: NO ROLLING SHUTTER! IkonosKope is great but $$$ writing on very expensive media, like all from I-Company. I'm following them and the project from the beginning, a good feeling, so what. film making is an art, it needs a tool not to betweaked or hacked

July 12, 2013 at 6:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM