November 25, 2013

Say Goodbye to Weird Motion Blur on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema CameraBlackmagic has issued another update for the Pocket Cinema Camera (after the recent RAW firmware), this time to fix what was actually a rather annoying issue related to shutter speed and motion blur. When the camera was set to a 180 degree shutter (or 1/48th of a second) and 23.98 fps or 24 fps, the motion blur actually looked more like a 360 degree shutter (or 1/24th of a second). To see the difference, check out the video below:

Here is Kristian Lam in the Blackmagic Forum talking about the new firmware:

Blackmagic Camera v1.5.1 has just been released.

This is just a quick update to address an issue with the weird motion blur observed when shooting at 180º shutter angle in 23.98 and 24 fps on the Pocket Cinema Camera.

There are NO changes to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in this release.

I strongly recommend running the uninstaller first before installing the new software.

When I first got the Pocket, I couldn't believe how strange the motion blur looked at 180. It's actually a little crazy that it left the testing phase without anyone questioning the blur, but since the camera is made in Australia, and that country is 50hz, you'd normally be using a 172.8 degree shutter angle to avoid light flickering, not 180. Obviously in North America the power is 60hz, so a 180 degree shutter will help avoid flicker here.

There is no word yet on any other updates for the Cinema Camera or whether these cameras will get the ability to format cards (which should be at the top of the list in my opinion), but if you have a Pocket, you should download the new update immediately over on the Blackmagic Support page.

Links:

Actually in most instances we (Aussies) shoot 25fps 180deg.

November 25, 2013 at 11:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Mike

Right, then I have no idea how they released the camera as is...

November 26, 2013 at 12:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Definitely a major flaw. I'm sure they noticed it and knew it could be fixed via firmware.

I would be more worried if BlackMagic didn't notice the flaw until after shipping.

I think they picked up on it and chose to ship knowing they'd be able to fix it easily later on.

The pressure to ship the camera must have been brutal, a deadline already missed, catching heat from all sides even a little from this site itself, so I can understand the decision to ship as-is.

And hey, look, you have your badass new camera in pocket, as it were, for a great price, and now it's in proper working order. I'd say that's worth a little understanding.

Especially when one considers the seemingly infinite understanding that's been given to another small digital cinema camera manufacturer, whom for almost two years have done nothing but show us pictures of what their camera will look like.

If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, then how much is a camera in the pocket worth?

November 26, 2013 at 2:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

finducinema

Joe, curious to know whats the reason is for 172.8 instead of 180? all the best S

November 25, 2013 at 11:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

shaun wilson

because at 24fps it corresponds at 1/50th of a second, perfect to match 50 hz current of lamps and avoid flickering.

November 26, 2013 at 12:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Roberto Mettifogo

I've always followed 24fps at 48th shutter and 25fps (what we shoot in Australia) with 50 shutter???

November 26, 2013 at 1:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

shaun wilson

Generally you aim for 180 degree, yeah, but if you're shooting 24p under 50Hz lights, the difference between 1/50 flicker in the lights and 1/48 exposure time can cause flicker in the resulting footage. If you expose for the entire 50th of a second, the lights complete one whole oscillation within one frame, so there's no difference in light level from one frame to the next.

November 26, 2013 at 12:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Luke

You'll get flicker from non-filmmaking fluorescent fixtures at 24fps because of the 60hz.

November 30, 2013 at 4:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jon

Finally! Shot my whole raw review footage with 172,2

November 26, 2013 at 12:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

That was the first thing I noticed too. Thought I was seeing things and kept messing with the shutter speed/frame rate to get different results. Started to film a review that talked about it but I guess I will have to scrap that now :)

November 26, 2013 at 1:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I've been hearing something about a pixel gridding issue. Have you heard or experienced any issues like this your tests?

November 26, 2013 at 3:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

alguti

Yeah, I'm seeing the pink/purple grid from time to time. It happens with lens flares, some think it's a debayer issue or even worse a reflection of the sensor's protection layer.

December 12, 2013 at 7:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

P337

I wish next firmware they give us the choice to use shutter speed or shutter angle.
It is a very wasy fix.

November 26, 2013 at 4:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tulio

Nice, my pocket will arrive in 2 weeks.
Some menu improvements will be granted.

I hope BM can add 60 fps in a future and the camera will be perfect for my use.

November 26, 2013 at 7:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Santiago

Off Topic....

Seiki 4K 50" tv at $759.99 from Sears online:

Seiki 4K 39" tv at $484.99 from both Sears and Amazon:

November 26, 2013 at 7:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

nice as a b cam(for tight set ups) for my super 16mm on commercial work

November 26, 2013 at 8:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DIO

can you guys tell me... have they added audio meters or not?

November 26, 2013 at 8:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Nope.

November 26, 2013 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

a small correction on the article ? - while BM is an Ozie company, the manufacturing is in Singapore - at least for its camera. There is an indonesian factory-island 'managed' by singapore making stuff for MNCs which often makes 'made in singapore' a misnomer. The claim is that the BM's camera factory is actually located within Singapore isle itself - although when asked, the answer from a sales manager was that the factory workers making the camera come from across the border & facetiously jest no indonesians are exploited - since there is more than one border for the island nation ! To a significant extent, the "idea" of countries needs some updating perhaps. A slice of TPP pie served with GMO condiments courtesy of MNCs anyone? lordy.

November 26, 2013 at 9:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sky

How can they use a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 with the BM?

I'm trying to find information on this...

November 26, 2013 at 11:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

With a dumb adapter. Most cost under $30USD.

November 26, 2013 at 12:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I'm the one who shot this video, I used a Nikon to MFT adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Mount-Adapter-Thirds-Cameras/dp/B003G49V7...

November 26, 2013 at 12:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Roman

That's the one I use too. Using old Nikon glass and a set of F-mount Rokinon cines on the GH2/3/BMCC/BMPCC. Piece of cake.

November 26, 2013 at 12:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

And I'd suggest to anyone that goes this route, just get an adapter for every lens you're commonly using and get some extra m43 end caps. Leave the adapter on, it'll make your life loads easier in the field.

November 26, 2013 at 12:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

(as in, leave the adapter on the lens)

November 26, 2013 at 12:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I am presently selecting an adapter to mount my nikkor afs ed 17-35 on the pocket camera. I am reading in forums about others whom got nikon to mft adapters that were for g ( non aperture ring) lens and their afs lens had problems. I think the af 50 is the same as mine so this adapter should work for me too?

November 30, 2013 at 7:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

dantheman

Go here and look through some of the extra links too.

November 26, 2013 at 12:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Saied

I wish they'd show some love for the 2.5k cams and release some bug fixes - such as the improved focus assist and remaining hard drive time

November 26, 2013 at 3:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

The first time I shot with the BMCPP I realized something was going on with the shutter speed @ 180deg. Glad they fixed this!

November 26, 2013 at 3:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Christian Anderson

I hope they update the "unusable for handheld" rolling shutter and the soft image.

November 26, 2013 at 5:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Lorra

If the 180º looked like 360º before the update, does this mean you effectively lose a stop now it actually looks like 180º?

November 27, 2013 at 4:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

i believe the camera is made in Singapore but sounds nice anyhow!

November 30, 2013 at 9:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

tom

Wow...I have no faith in this camera now. I mean, I don't plan on buying one or anything anyway, but how can you trust them on this. What they call a 180° shutter *clearly* isn't.

December 9, 2013 at 8:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Daniel Mimura

...Did you miss the part about it being fixed?

December 12, 2013 at 7:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

P337

I just bought this camera and noticed the blur. I panicked, then googled it -- of course I find it here. <3

January 24, 2014 at 7:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

I all the time used to study paragraph in news papers but now
as I am a user of net so from now I amm using net for posts, thanks to
web.

January 25, 2014 at 6:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Thanks in support of sharing such a good opinion, paragraph iis fastidious,
thats why i have read it completely

May 2, 2014 at 5:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM