December 1, 2013

'12 Years A Slave', 'Enough Said', 'The Way Way Back' Screenplays For Your Consideration

If you have already blown through all of the award-contending screenplays we have posted here on No Film School for your consideration, fear not. We have a few more for you. Thanks to Fox Searchlight, today we present screenplays for 12 Years A Slave, Enough Said and The Way Way Back for free, legal download. Continue on for the links.

Based on the memoir of Solomon Northup, 12 Years A Slave presents a seldom acknowledged facet of America's dark history of slavery: a black man born free in New York who was eventually kidnapped in Washington, D.C. and sold into slavery down in Louisiana. Here's the trailer:

From one of my favorite writer/directors, Nicole Holofcener, Enough Said gives us a relationship comedy in which a divorced women decides to go after a man she likes only to discover he happens to be her new friend's ex-husband. Here's the trailer:

The Way Way Back, the directorial debut of screenplay Oscar winners Nat Faxon & Jim Rash (The Descendants), follows a 14-year-old boy as he discovers a summer oasis from his mom and her jerk boyfriend at Cape Cod's glorious Water Wizz, where he also finds an unlikely mentor. Here's the trailer:

Here are the links to the screenplays, thanks to Fox Searchlight:

As always, please use these screenplays for your educational purposes only, and don’t wait to download them as we never know when they will go offline.

Also, if you missed our previous posts about award contender screenplays available for free, legal download, you can find them at the links below:

How have these award contender screenplays helped you in your own screenwriting process? Share your thoughts with us in the comments.

Link: For Your Consideration -- Fox Searchlight

I'm still waiting to see how this one does with overseas audiences.

December 1, 2013 at 8:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

moebius22

I still haven't seen 12 years a slave but I think I know a melo drama when I see one.This screenplay will answer a few questions for me.I'm not convinced by mcqueen at all.

December 2, 2013 at 4:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

konstantinos

"12 Years A Slave" is a masterful piece of work. It's not over sensationalized. Everything is handled beautifully, from the acting to the picture, sound, and the direction. It is worth going to see in the theater.

December 2, 2013 at 12:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Well maybe i ll give it a try.But from the trailer I saw it just seemed so over the top.Maybe its the theme itself I dont know

December 2, 2013 at 9:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

konstantinos

I just finished reading the screenplay, having not seen the movie yet. I couldn't stop reading it and was brought to tears, especially at the end.

December 4, 2013 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

J

Glad Chris found "Enough Said". I've been looking for it online for a while. The film has a very high Rotten Tomatoes grade. Plus, it's the last Gandolfini film.

December 2, 2013 at 8:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

I must admit, I really enjoyed The Way, Way Back. Watched it a couple times. Reminded me a little of Meatballs, with Sam Rockwell playing the Bill Murray character - taking a kid under his wing etc.
Rockwell doesn't quite match Murray for the natural whackiness though.

December 3, 2013 at 8:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fletch

Just read "Enough Said". What I thought was disgusting is that this script didn't get the big time funding and marketing behind it. Not a perfect script but definitely an Oscar contender.

December 4, 2013 at 2:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

I finally saw it a couple of nights ago.It was unfortunately every bit as melodramatic as expected.It did have a few interesting scenes but all in all it was one of those movies that make it a priority to have the audience burst into tears.I just could not feel the implications of the themes in the story.The exposition felt so very sensationalised.His before life was so amazingly good that it just seemed like a tv commercial to me.And everyone he meets from then on is pretty much a bad white abusive person.Well that may be accurate but then again what is there we can make of itIsn't that a theme that has been explored to death?Wouldn't it be of more interest if the film explored the grey areas like the characters of the judge or his first master who were cought somewhere between?And what was with having all the black people(or most of them) talk like they are educated when in fact they are not(given the circumstances of their situation)?And what was with the theatrical staging in the end?

The cinematography was all over the place as well.I mean that it obviously had beautiful images but they were beautiful just for the shake of it.What was the point of using all those telephoto lenses?Take for example the scene that we see him talking to the two men that conned him in the beginning.Nothing in that scene warned us or gave us a hint for what is actually happening.It was just shot all on a 200mm because it looks good that way and that's it.Well that was his point of view you might argue.But then again why dont we stick with it for the rest of the film instead of many scenes that had hardly anything to do with his feelings and moods.

Anyway the bottom line is that i obviously didn't like the film or to put it another way i didnt buy the story.I know it is based on a true story but i feel it was a very simplified ,black n white (pun intended) version of it.Even so the film did have some good performances but it was nothing i'd want to ever see again because it was such a safe and obvious oscar bait.I wouldn't advise anyone against seeing it ofcourse.After all it's just how i experienced it.

December 17, 2013 at 10:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM