December 18, 2013

Get Your Clicky Fingers Ready: New $3,000 Apple Mac Pro Available to Order Starting Tomorrow

Apple New Mac ProSome price quotes for maxed-out versions of the new Apple Mac Pro came out earlier in the week, and they were actually lower than some had speculated previously. While we did know that the system was going to be launching at $3,000 sometime in December, there were still some question marks remaining -- like the different prices of higher-end configurations, and most importantly, the exact date you'd be able to order one. That last one has now been definitively answered by Apple.

Tim Cook tweeted this out:

How much you can roughly expect to pay, and when you can order:

The Mac Pro is available with a 3.7 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of VRAM each, 12GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $2,999 (US); and with a 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of VRAM each, 16GB of memory, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage starting at $3,999 (US). Configure-to-order options include faster 8-core or 12-core Intel Xeon E5 processors, AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of VRAM, up to 64GB of memory, and up to 1TB of PCIe-based flash storage. Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/mac-pro.

The all-new Mac Pro will be available to order starting Thursday, December 19 through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers.

It should be made clear that the announcement from Apple is that these computers will be available to order, not necessarily shipping by tomorrow. It's likely that shipping could take some time depending on demand, so you might be disappointed if you're banking on editing that brand new project on the Mac Pro before the end of the year. Either way, we've only got one more day to go before seeing all of the possible configurations and prices Apple has in store (and when these things are actually going to ship out).

Links:

[via The Verge]

That $2999.00 starting price keeps me firmly in the hackintosh world for the foreseeable future!

December 18, 2013 at 12:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Once again, the Mac Pro will actually earn its name as a computer made for professionals. Hobbyists and "prosumers" need not apply. The pricing is on par with workstations, as it should be for the equipment set.

December 18, 2013 at 1:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

Once again, the OS doesn't matter, but justify the price however you want.

December 18, 2013 at 1:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Alex

Plenty of business have and will justify the price for this outstanding piece of integrated hardware with a rock-solid OS. Hackintoshes are there for the hobbyists who need to save a few bucks. And PCs for the masochists.

December 18, 2013 at 1:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

Curious how this thing will perform. Apple's latest offerings have been less than optimal.

December 18, 2013 at 1:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jack Marchetti

December 18, 2013 at 3:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

@Razor

If you've ever worked in IT, you'd know just what a colossal nightmare it is that Windows machines dominate. Wide adoption is not a sign of a product's quality: see GM products during the 70s and 80s.

December 18, 2013 at 3:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

Other way round mate, mac is the twinkie of computing. nicely packaged, closed system with lack of software support and much less power than a comparably priced pc.

A 3k PC would DESTROY this.

December 18, 2013 at 2:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

RRobin

How does an analogy to a twinkie even remotely make sense here?

December 18, 2013 at 3:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

Because twinky is neatly packaged confectionery. Totally applies.

December 18, 2013 at 5:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

kimb

"A 3k PC would DESTROY this"
Yeah, and it would then CRASH!! lol...I have had this debate for ages, as a professional (13 years) there is no comparison. I will never forget that when I went to do my MScs in DTV (I'm 32), I was fighting with the guy who was teaching TV tech. When we actually went to the studio to record, the PC -running Premiere- crashed 4 times while trying to record a 10min show - and you had to wait for the recording to end to experience the crash-. We had to spend 1.5hr in order to record 10 bloody minutes. I've probably never laughed more in my life, it was so funny to see a PC guy left down again and again and again by his equipment and not wanting to accept it.

December 18, 2013 at 3:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Michael

I don't think many would argue that 10 years ago there was a gulf between the platforms in terms of stability. That's the reason Mac was the go-to platform in the creative industries.

The thing is today is not 10 years ago, and as Mac has gained mass appeal it's proportionally dropped in reliability. I used to work for a tv network (about 6 years ago) and our IT techs did nothing but moan about what a pain in ass our Macs were to work with. I'm now a freelance motion graphic designer based in the UK, and while 80% of the companies I work with are Mac based, they seem to have no less issues than typical PCs do. If anything in my experience it's the Mac fans that refuse to accept there are stability issues even when holding the power button to force a hard reboot while looking at that 5 language grey screen error message.

I'm platform agnostic. Most of my professional life has been on Macs. I recently switched to a PC for my personal system because the FCP end-of-life mean there was no longer any reason to be paying such high premiums on hardware. I've experienced no perceivable reliability issues since moving from OSX to Win 7.

December 18, 2013 at 5:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ant

sounds like your friend was probably running pirated software.

December 18, 2013 at 5:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ginser

I would like to see the specs on your 3k PC you think would destroy it. The 6-core Xeon alone will cost you at least $1,300 (if you find a deal). 60/GBs motherboard is going to run you $500+. We are almost at $2k without ram, storage, video cards, or an OS. Good luck.

December 18, 2013 at 6:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Matt Wright

Matt,

please stop posting misleading information. The 4000$ Mac Pro features the Intel E5-1650v2 6-core which is available for 590$.

Take a look at the poor benchmark results for this CPU!!!!

December 18, 2013 at 7:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FrederikO.

December 18, 2013 at 7:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FrederikO.

Actually I just checked newegg and got more or less a comparable system with a non-sex toy packaging set up for about $2400.

And that's bog factory standard without overclocking.

December 18, 2013 at 7:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Luca

Luca,

No you didn't. Stop lying... the CPU itself is $2,500 on New Egg.

December 18, 2013 at 10:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jorge

We were talking about the 4-core and 6-core models, my friend. For 2500 you get a 12-core CPU.

December 18, 2013 at 10:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FrederikO.

Then your PC guy doesn't know anything. If you know what to turn off in windows it doesn't crash. Mine doesn't.

December 20, 2013 at 1:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gary

Nothing to get excited about really. You can build an upgradable PC for the same price that would easily outperform this new Mac Pro... for example, the $3K base model comes with a $290 Intel Xeon E5-1620V2 Quad-Core 3.7GHz. This is a lower-end Xeon, and scores a dismal 9,605 in benchmarking http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

December 18, 2013 at 2:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

Please, I urge you to do so and share the comparable benchmarks. We'll wait.

December 18, 2013 at 3:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

You write funny when you are upset. No Mac has ever outperformed or out-benched a high-end PC.

December 18, 2013 at 3:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

Mate you are delusional. This thing has a nice case, but 12gig ram is not even entry level for pro video.
This will make a great bedroom machine for editing youtube vids if you want to overpay though!

December 18, 2013 at 5:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jason

Apple's page says the Quad-Core Machine has a 6-core CPU so it is tough to say what the CPU is. Apple also says the CPU has 12MB of cache and the one you mention has 10mb of cache. The GPUs in the low end model are easily $500 each so the price is going to be hard to beat when you add in the 60 GB/S motherboard.

Their RAM always seems a bit pricey.

December 18, 2013 at 6:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Matt Wright

I should point out it is ECC RAM though.

December 18, 2013 at 6:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Matt Wright

Once again, the Mac Pro will earn its name as a "OVER PRICED" computer made for professionals.

December 18, 2013 at 4:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

You have the strongest stream out of all of the males here.

December 19, 2013 at 4:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tom Barnold

Do you get paid to deffend Apple or you just do it because you have that much free time?

December 19, 2013 at 1:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

maghoxfr

Those prices are misleading. They don't include all the external, Thunderboldt RAID arrays that you'll need to get the full potential of the core unit. Add another $2000 to those prices and you'll be in the ballpark. That said, these are going to be phenomenal workhorses for professional CGI animators, colorists, and anyone working in 4K.

December 18, 2013 at 12:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Benjamin Betten...

No computers include external raid prices that are needed to take advantage of the full power.

December 18, 2013 at 1:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

julian

Hahah, professional CG animators on MAC. Good one.

December 18, 2013 at 2:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

lex

Well, there's Luma Pictures - http://lumapictures.com

Last I heard, it's still an all Mac shop using mostly off-the-shelf software and they do quite well for themselves working on some major productions. It's not the norm but it's quite workable and you could do a lot worse than the clientele they have.

Here's a pic: http://bit.ly/1bdKKSq

December 18, 2013 at 2:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

congrats, you found one!

December 18, 2013 at 5:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jason

Granted, it's the only one I know of. Luma specifically set out to be Mac based because they didn't believe the anti-Mac hype concerning pro 3D/2D graphics and it's worked out well for them for the last 10 years. The quality of their work hasn't seemed to suffer for it and that's the ultimate measure, is it not?

December 18, 2013 at 6:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

I think the fact that essentially every major production house either uses pc or linux pretty much answers that.

December 18, 2013 at 8:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

trar

a small minority of people choose to drive Saab's too. They are still a shit car.

December 18, 2013 at 8:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

lopo

Actually, I found two! Shilo NY - http://www.http://shilo.tv

HBO BTS: https://vimeo.com/82221507

The point is, if these companies (and I'm sure there are more) can be successful doing work on the level they are with underpowered/overpriced Macs than the majority of Mac naysayers commenting here can on their PCs, it probably has less to do with the computer than you think.

December 21, 2013 at 9:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

Let the WINDOWS vs MAC Debate begin!
FIGHT!!

December 18, 2013 at 1:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Will Thomas

Theres no debate. MAC for those who want to pay more for less, PC for folks who know what they are doing :)

December 18, 2013 at 2:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

kimb

I Always go Mac because they are cheaper. Every time these debates start I ask, show me a PC with the same specs that are cheaper than the Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac or Mac Pro and I will buy it. Because I want the best price I can get. And dont give me a link to a computer thats $100 cheaper, everybody says its "way cheaper" so show me that.
Never and I mean never has such a link appeared, and it wont now.
That Macs are more expensive than PCs is the biggest myth on the internet.

December 20, 2013 at 4:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

MattiasB

More important to me is the new version of FCPX that will accompany it.

December 18, 2013 at 2:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

oof. you are a sucker for punishment.

December 18, 2013 at 2:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

sjk

How so? Seems like every new iteration of fcpx improves it pretty significantly. I'm not even a fcpx fanboy; I use both it and Adobe's solutions depending on the project on paid jobs.

December 18, 2013 at 3:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I'm excited for the new version as well. The new version of iMovie is apparently running on a stripped down version of FCPX and is much faster than the current version of FCPX. This new version should be really great, I'm hoping for CinemaDNG support and a more responsive UI.

December 18, 2013 at 4:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

julian

I'm hoping for a customizable window layout, Adobe style integration with Logic Pro X and like you said CinemaDNG support. Would save a bunch of time if I could have FCPX create proxies from my BMCC rather than having to go into Resolve first.

December 18, 2013 at 5:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I really, really hope they do away with magnetic timeline in the new version (or at least allow the option to disable it). I understand the workarounds, but I still dislike those options.

December 18, 2013 at 7:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brendan

PC's for people who love to install drivers, virus scanners, find work arounds for hardware conflicts, and save a few bucks.

Macs for people that care about aesthetics, and making the process of computing invisible, so they can worry about creating. People that find their computer so integral to their life/career that the idea of saving a couple grand by compromising this essential piece of technology is laughable.

I just bought a PC tablet for touch sensitive stylus input ability (not available in the mac...and I'll admit that this sucks about the mac) but Windows 8 is a war crime.

December 18, 2013 at 2:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ongbak

December 18, 2013 at 3:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

Yes, the minority of users who actually care about the quality of user experience. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with repeatedly posting the link to this statistic.

Are Mercedes or BMWs bad cars merely because they aren't owned by a majority of consumers?

December 18, 2013 at 3:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

@Hummer - The difference is I'm quoting facts and figures, while you resort to emotions. Here's a case in point... there is a lot of 3D and programming software I use that won't run on a Mac (3ds Max, Softimage, MotionBuilder, Unity 3D, Unreal UDK, Maestro MySQL database tools, etc. ) So sometimes it's more about owning the right OS and tools just to get work done. So the don't be so narrow minded when clearly it's not just about a user experience.

December 18, 2013 at 4:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

You are talking to brick wall. This guys in denial. 3k for an already outdated machine with 12 gig of ram and an OS that runs pretty much nothing proffesional? hahah

December 18, 2013 at 5:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

liron

@Razor

If you were proportionately as successful as Apple is selling computers with only 7% marketshare in whatever business you do, I don't think you'd give a crap what some guy on NFS had to say. Look at it this way: there are two major consumer operating systems and one of them only needs 7% of the market to do it. It makes Apple the most successful boutique/niche company in history. I know you meant that number as an insult but Apple is crying all the way to the bank.

December 18, 2013 at 4:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

@Brian - Here's a history lesson of your so-called "Apple success". Did you know that without Microsoft (as a successful company) Apple wouldn't even exist today? In 1997 Apple was 90 days from closing its doors permanently. Steve Jobs was forced to grovel before Bill Gates to keep Apple alive with a $150 million bailout from Microsoft. http://www.techhive.com/article/169752/1997_Steve_Jobs_Was_Wrong_and_Mic...

December 18, 2013 at 5:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

Yes, I did know that. I'm not sure what it has to do with December 2013...or anything, for that matter. Your "point" just demonstrates how far they've come since then. What, you've never had to borrow money when you were strapped for cash? Is there some shame in trying to keep your company afloat by asking for help? Many successful people and entities have stories of near or utter failure before they turned things around. You're basically describing a "Cinderella Story" and people love them because they're inspiring - in theory, anyway.

Your comments reinforce something I've thought for some time now. People only root for the underdog in movies and books. As you point out, with only 7% of the computer market, Apple is very much the underdog but there are tons of people who would like to see them fail. "I think your prices are too high for what you offer in the way of performance so i hope you go out of business." Nice.

Apple has almost $150 Billion in cash. I don't know what your 7% comment is supposed to prove. Or, do you only measure success by who has the most?

December 18, 2013 at 6:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

@Brian – Let me spell out the points for you since you can't seem to understand them. Apple wouldn't even exist without Microsoft. Apple Mac is only a tiny blip on the desktop radar for 7% of the desktop population, not much more than Linux. If the Mac were to die tomorrow it would only temporarily hurt a very small portion of people (mostly hobbyists), and it wouldn't affect the majority's ability to do work and get work done in any way. So flaunt Apple's extorted cash reserve if it makes you feel better emotionally, but on the desktop side (even after being bailed out by Microsoft) Apple lost that war a long time ago.

December 19, 2013 at 10:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

@RAZOR - Okay, I see. You DO only measure success by who has the most. And, because Apple's cash reserve was "extorted", it can be easily dismissed as well. Desktop wars? I hate to break it to you, but Steve Jobs himself admitted back in the late '90s that Apple lost the desktop wars to Microsoft. Here's an article referencing that fact - http://bit.ly/IYlAkd - so, there are no delusions here. Once Apple started focusing on their core strengths, they took off. You're like one of those Japanese soldiers from WWII that got stranded on an island and didn't know the war had been over for years.

Yes, Microsoft bailed Apple out 16 years ago. It turned out to be one of their best investments. It's hardly an indictment and certainly not evidence of how inconsequential Apple may be. Should we judge your current financial well-being by how you were doing in 1996?

I have a theory about the Windows/PC users who love to hate Apple. The computer world simply doesn't work the way they think it should and it bothers them to no end. In their minds, performance should trump everything, cheaper is better, more is better, looks absolutely shouldn't matter and infinite customization is king. The problem is these things don't matter as much as you'd think. Apple defies all of them and still manages to do extremely well. They not only hang on, but thrive. There's apparently an intangible at work Windows users don't understand and chalk up to Apple users being sheeple, but it's not that simple.

Who has more marketshare is one metric but it's not the only one and not the most telling. If you want a more meaningful number, look at the customer satisfaction ratings of Apple users vs. Microsoft or any individual PC maker. If I'm not mistaken, Apple has been killing them for the last decade. It fluctuates and Apple doesn't always get things right - far from it. But, it might help explain why a company that should, by all quantifiable PC user logic, be defunct is at the top of the food chain and often emulated by companies with larger marketshare.

Microsoft users need Apple as much as Apple needed Microsoft. Do you really think computing would be where it is today, on any platform, if Microsoft was the only game in town? If that's the future you want all I can say is be careful what you wish for. Their competition helps EVERYONE.

And FYI, spelling out an argument is the preferred method for making an argument. Otherwise, you're just saying things without establishing their validity or relevance.

December 19, 2013 at 12:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

@Brian - Wow, good grief Brian you are really upset and angry about all this. Sorry man, but this is no longer a constructive or healthy debate.

December 19, 2013 at 1:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Razor

@RAZOR - It's true, there's probably not anything left to be said on this matter. However, I'm nowhere near angry. On the contrary, I find it kind of fun. I'm often mistaken for being angry when I type a lot and by how I go about making a point or attacking an opposing argument. It's how I was trained, I guess. The truth is I just don't mind a spirited debate, but getting angry over blog comments or forum posts is pointless and not really my style.

It might help if people read my comments as if I were their best friend who, while holding an opposing viewpoint, approached the discussion with a smile and the occasional friendly, sarcastic dig designed to make the other person laugh as well as make a point. But never (okay, rarely) meant to be hurtful or taken personally.

December 19, 2013 at 2:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Brian

Calling Windows 8 a war crime is an insult to the dedication, thought, planning and follow-through that goes into most war crimes.

December 18, 2013 at 4:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Hummer

Good lord, I never thought I'd say this, but... I hope a new camera gets announced so I can read through that comment section instead.

December 18, 2013 at 3:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

loool, i was just thinking exactly the same thing. makes me appreciate a good red vs alexa debate.

December 18, 2013 at 3:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

andy

Or a film versus digital debate.

December 18, 2013 at 3:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Then we get to hear about how terrible it is because it doesn't have an integrated shoulder mount.

December 18, 2013 at 6:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Matt Wright

I can't see buying into that ecosystem for a 4-core processor despite all of the performance enhancements of the new CPU design and the dual graphics cards. The 6 and 8-core models appear to be the sweet spot for value before seeing any comparative benchmarks. It's not for me, but it looks great for those who don't need PCI-E expansion.

December 18, 2013 at 3:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Marc B

Just make sure to let people know that the thing isn't a trash can, or else people will be throwing their used tissues at it.

December 18, 2013 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

robert

It will be good practice for 3 months time when it's so outdated that is all it's good for.

December 18, 2013 at 5:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ginser

I agree. The AMD graphics are already outdated on this thing. Meanwhile, in the PC world, two 6GB GTX Titans have been around for a long while, and even those are kind of outdated with the GTX 780 Ti cards (despite only being 3GB). Pretty soon, those will be replaced with something else, again, and again.

While Mac Pro users are still using the old AMD chips, PC users will be able to go out and get the latest and greatest, all day, every day.

December 18, 2013 at 9:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

robert

For all the PC heads that claim they can build out one for cheaper - great go ahead - but I share office space with a small (6 guys) motion graphics company and I have been watching them try to build out a super fast machine for the last 3 weeks and they still have not been able to get it to work - something with the Nvidia graphics card I think.

Point it not everyone wants to build out a machine and encounter the issues I have watched these guys go thru for the last 3 weeks.

And furthermore enough with all the claims, wait for the Mac Pro to come out, test it and compare it to your amazing PC, and then go make your bold statements.

December 18, 2013 at 5:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Your friends having no idea what they are doing is not reflective of the quality of PCs.

Likewise there is no need to wait try the mac, the specs are right there, it's underpowered for 3k.

December 18, 2013 at 5:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

abregs

I am not going to comment on the Mac Pro as I have not tested it yet. It might be an amazing machine worth every penny.

As a long time PC user I just want to comment on the reliability gap people are claiming between Macs and PCs.

Yes it was a pain a few years back since the latest iterations of Adobe and Windows 7 I have yet to experience a single crash of either the OS or Adobe. I can render 7-8 hour long projects in a row using almost every video software of Adobe dynamically linked plus many plug-ins without a single crash.

This whole time on Windows 7 I have also never had to install manualy any drivers (except for the video card one) and since I started building my PCs 15 years ago I do not think I have had more than a couple hardware incompatibility. Also never had a virus even though I have always only used free firewalls.

I really do not see how PCs are such a nightmare. Maybe people are bad at building and managing a PC workstation... Mac could very well be much better (I wouldn't know) but PC has definitely been working very well for me.

December 18, 2013 at 5:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Haroun Souirji

There's an old theory that people think their car is somewhat faster after getting it washed. People report that it just feels quicker.

Obviously not remotely true. It's all in the persons head.

Same with PC vs Mac. For some reason people think things like Photoshop or what not run quicker on their Macs.

December 18, 2013 at 9:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Jack Marchetti

Crazy question: how the hell is this an aesthetically pleasing device? Am I not the only one who sees the resemblance to a sex toy?

And I really don't get why people think OSX is such a great user experience. I've spent most of my life with a PC at home and Mac in whatever educational institution I was in. For that whole time period I found the user interface either childish, clunky, or silly. Earlier on it wasn't much of a difference, but when Microsoft introduced the task bar and then Apple put out the design abortion that the dock is, it became strikingly apparent.

Seriously, I've been using computers since DOS and never got the obsession with the MacOS UI.

December 18, 2013 at 7:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Luca

I know this is a video forum, but as a developer, OSX is much more pleasant than Windows to work with. Since it's repackaged Linux it has a shell with a full expression scripting language built in. There's also lots of built in utilities like being able to SSH into another machine. Plus you get professional multimedia editing software for $200-300. I mean, Logic Pro X for $200 is a freakin' steal. Yes, there's a lot of trendiness that comes with macs, but they have a lot to offer under the hood beyond the UIs.

December 19, 2013 at 12:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ian

The 7% market share statement is like saying a Hyundai is better than a Lamborghini. Seriously if you want to bash The MacPro, first go and buy a HP workstation. Then compare/hate/bitch.
Anyways, as a 10year only Mac user I must say, OS stability has gone down. The only true reason right now I´m sticking with a Mac is: I´m used to it. As simple as that.
This on the other hand can be said about most Mac-Haters: They just know PCs and they stick with it.
If they would only shut up about it too...

December 18, 2013 at 9:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

SpartaBear

I repair both PCs and Macs for a living. Wide array of problems equally with both, I charge twice the price to fix a mac, I know my customer demo very well=)

December 19, 2013 at 1:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

skubrick

I don't understand why these arguments keep popping up. Are people that insecure? Another fantastic tool has come out to serve its users. Despite what rabid fanboyism may suggest, CHOICE is good for the consumer. Another CHOICE has come out for users to pick from.

If you like PCs and it matches your workflow and style awesome, use a PC. If you like MACs and it matches your workflow and style, awesome. Use a MAC.

What's with the phallus competition that always accompanies these kind of posts?

December 19, 2013 at 4:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Steve JL

it's already for sale......a max up Mac pro (512gb flash drive) + 4k Sharp TV 13500€.

December 19, 2013 at 6:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

jesuan

Ha ha ha ha mac vs pc again, move on, go and make films, oh wait a minute none of you are film makers except in your armchairs.

Mind you a good 'article' for the site's SEO.

December 19, 2013 at 8:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Filthy Punt

I think Apple has been the victim of two things, their own success and the cliff like falloff in PC sales. So there was a time when Apple simply couldn't compete against the onslaught of Windows machines and their share bumbled along at sub 10% marketshare. Then just when things started to look much brighter for the Mac platform, the general PC market started to soften and has continued to soften, along with Apple Mac sales. You could argue that a lot of PC sales into domestic situations have just not been replaced or upgraded, but swamped by iPads and Android tablets. I used to have a MBP, but I sold that for a MacMini and an iPad. The ipad does fine for most email etc. The MM does my paid work. If you start to include tablets into the PC marketshare, things look diffrent.
Having said that, I think Apple have gone the wrong way with this new MP.

December 19, 2013 at 9:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Robbo

First I don't think people are comparing apples to apples. pun? I priced out an equivalent Dell and HP. XEON processor, professional video card etc. The PC workstation ends up being around 1500 more. I don't think you can compare the Mac Pro with an i7 desktop. Just a thought.

December 19, 2013 at 1:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Terry Jun

I'm sure someone is readying a NFS post on this, but we *also* all woke up this morning to Final Cut Pro X 10.1 (tons of new features beyond 4K workflow, perhaps most exciting among them for the middle-tier prosumer is native MTS support for AVCHD cameras) along with new Compressor (MAJOR rewrite, especially the interface).

I'm giddy about the new Macs, but won't want or need one for a couple years. FCP X on the other hand, thanks to the release of these things, is now finally growing up to be what I've always wanted it to be and that makes me excited as hell right now!

December 19, 2013 at 1:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

trackofalljades

Being that right now I'm on a MBP. Once I added a SSD 512gig, I noticed a significant speed increase. Now if only they could get a change up with the video card, this thing would sig so well i'd never desire to upgrade. But I know I will, and it'll be a tower I build on my own. I'm not an apple fanboy like so many others are. I'm much more interested in a computer that I can upgrade without being jabbed in the gut to do it. Give me a computer I can upgrade on my own.

December 19, 2013 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

From all the arguments here, I am inclined to think people aren't doing many projects worth more than a few thousand dollars at a time. That's cool, but for industry professionals $3000 is a write off if factored into production costs. Just use whatever works to get it done. Who cares how these machines are used after?

Personally, I have never had a major problem with Apple computers over several generations of usage in production and post environments, but the sort of conversations and exchanges found here have been quite rare in my experience, while working.

December 20, 2013 at 5:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM