January 7, 2014

Everything You Need to Know to Get Started with 4K RAW on the FS700

When Sony announced the FS700 camcorder a year and a half ago, there was a vague promise that the camera would be able to shoot 4K video with a firmware update sometime down the road. At the time, little did we know that the FS700, when paired with a 4K RAW recorder like Sony's R5, would become a legitimate option in the ever-expanding field of 4K RAW acquisition and a direct competitor to some of the other major cameras in that category, including the RED SCARLET and Sony's own F5. However, if you're an FS700 owner, or if you're renting one out for your next production, and you're not quite sure how to set up the camera/recorder for 4K recording, then Magnanimous Media has the perfect tutorial for you, as well as some gorgeous new footage.

First, let's take a look at a nice little montage of 4K RAW footage from an FS700 sporting the Sony R5 recorder and a Metabones Speed Booster. The slow-mo was either shot at 120fps at 4K, or 240fps at 2K resolution.

And here's one more example from Filippo Chiesa that really shows off the slow-motion capabilities of the FS700 in 2K/4K RAW recording.

Despite the fact that these samples are HD h.264 copies, it's clear that the FS700 is capable of creating some extremely pleasing images that rival RED's MX sensor and the F3 in terms of dynamic range, and Sony's higher-end cinema cameras, as well as Canon's, in terms of color science, which is no small feat considering the much higher cost of those other solutions.

So if you're looking to get started with shooting 4K RAW on the FS700, the fine folks at Magnanimous Media have put together this excellent tutorial video that demystifies the entire process from camera setup and shooting all the way through to a few different post pipelines:

What I love about this setup is that it's essentially the same process for RAW and high frame rate recording as it is with Sony's F5 and F55 cameras, which isn't particularly difficult once you've wrapped your mind around the odd little intricacies of using S&Q Motion with an external recorder. However, if you're looking to upgrade your FS700, it will take another significant investment in order to make the package functional.

As we talked about during the summer, there are essentially two external recorder routes for the FS700. One is the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q, which, with the cost of the $400 firmware/hardware upgrade from Sony, comes in at a total price of around $5,400. The Sony R5 setup, which is the one used in the above video, comes in at a higher price of around $9,700, but it has the option for the 120fps bursts and continuous 60fps in 4k RAW, whereas the Odyssey 7Q only allows 30fps with uncompressed DPX frames.

What do you guys think? Have you shot 4K or 2K RAW on the FS700 yet? If so, what did you think of the setup and workflow compared to other RAW solutions on the market? If not, is the cost of the upgrade (including an external recorder) worth it? Is the FS700 now a direct competitor to the likes of RED, Canon, and the higher-end Sony cameras? Let us know your thoughts down in the comments!

Links:

[via Magnanimous Media & Filippo Chiesa]

Please stop asking, "What do you guys think?" At the end of NFS articles. Just get on with the discussion or questions.

January 7, 2014 at 1:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Angelo

"But its supposed to start discussion"~~~~

January 7, 2014 at 2:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Tyler

I dunno... seems a bit overly sensitive. What do the rest of you think?

January 9, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Zan Shin

The size of this camera to record 4K/2K Raw is ridiculous. And Sony is releasing a 4K Handycam? Something doesn't add up here.

January 7, 2014 at 2:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Everyone's going to hop on the 4K bandwagon...and it's going to look like shit. 4K won't really mean anything. It's like I bought a Blu Ray of an old martial arts movie, turns out with was a lousy DVD copy just upscaled. Yeah, TECHNICALLY it's high def now, but...

January 7, 2014 at 2:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Muh

I don't follow..

January 7, 2014 at 4:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Lcky

I think what he's saying is that the image won't necessarily be good even though it is technically 4K.

January 7, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Coty

@Muh, the other - and proper - way of looking at it is that a professional with great tools will do a better job than a professional with poor tools. I don't think anyone would argue that one should still be using a Hi8 camcorder because top quality gear makes no difference. Since it a;ways does. To a filmmaker, a musician, a photographer, a car racer, an automobile designer, a stock trader, et al. FS 700 is one of several 4K capable cameras on the market. There will be more. A lot more. Soon.
PS. Sony also announced their upcoming cloud based streaming service to be launched some time this summer. With Roku TV (pre-installed onto Hisense and TLC TV's), as well as the overall cooperation between the streamers like Netflix and YouTube and most TV manufacturers, the 4K streaming is but a few months away. Of course, when you watch the 3 Stooges online, don't expect it to look like it was shot on F65 by Claudio Miranda either.

January 7, 2014 at 6:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

That's like a carpenter with a hand saw saying "everyone's gonna start cutting wood with power saws, and it will all be crooked."

January 9, 2014 at 6:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Zan Shin

As someone who has rigged this monster up and used it before... it's not.. good. At all. The footage is passable, I suppose, but it's just so long and unwieldy. The interface is buggy, and the whole thing seems like an afterthought. I would highly suggest a rental of an F5 or F55 - the R5 recorder and module bring the FS700 to such a coast that it isn't much more to simply get the 5 or 55 to record things properly.

January 7, 2014 at 2:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

alex

Would it be much less of a beast using the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q? I'd never want to deal with that lunker outside of a studio environment.

January 7, 2014 at 3:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Marc B.

my thoughts exactly... back in the day that thing would have looked impressive no doubt, but now looks like a joke.

January 7, 2014 at 3:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

jojo

that would be a lot more compact, that's for sure - but you still need to pay for the upgrade from Sony :\

January 7, 2014 at 3:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

alex

Read Matt Allard's take on the FS700/Q7 route. I get the impression he wasn't a huge fan of that way either....

January 7, 2014 at 5:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

marklondon

January 9, 2014 at 5:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Amber

The 4k raw is more than passable, it's pretty amazing at this price point. Same sensor as the F5 and damn hard to tell the two apart in raw mode. Ergonomically, yes a disaster, but really good pictures. Just make sure you use PP 7 and Slog2 on the camera otherwise the gain settings for the raw are wrong.

January 7, 2014 at 6:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Alister Chapman

The depth of field in the first video is annoyingly shallow. Why shoot 4k and then throw 90% of your image out of focus? When they rack focus it's like getting hit in the face by a wall of blur.

January 7, 2014 at 2:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mark

Hit in the face by a wall of blur is good haha

January 7, 2014 at 4:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Lcky

Holy shit!!... I was waiting to see if anyone else noticed that. Horrible example video to post showing off the 4k. How can you not know that...? especially being someone who writes articles for a camera/film website???

January 8, 2014 at 12:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Alex

It's not an attractive option. Very bulky. Rather have a better internal codec. Use an F55 if you need RAW or 65 for cinema.

January 7, 2014 at 2:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben

I own the FS700... I have a client that wants 4k. I've been looking at different systems and comparing. I almost bought the Sony recorder but a job got canceled so I have a little more time to figure it out. It looks like the odyssey 7Q will do 60fps in 4k compressed. Makes me nervous to pull the trigger because it says on their site, "Raw 2k at time of shipping but the 4k compressed is future development". Makes you wonder how long it will take? If I had my way I would get the scarlet with the dragon or the F5 but for the cost it's just much cheaper for the FS700 system. There is something about the FS700 I don't love. I like the picture off my mark iii better. I don't know how to explain it but just doesn't look so digital. Needing the slow-mo and possibly the slow 4k it's about the only good camera in my price range.

January 7, 2014 at 3:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Feeling exactly the same way. I own the FS700 and I am not digging the images coming out of itn nor the body and ergonomics. I've shot a lot with the C300 and I would have bough it if it did not lack slow motion (I mostly do action sports docs). The FS700 is really the only sub 15k option if you want slow motion... When I can afford it, it will be F55 or Epic Dragon.

January 7, 2014 at 4:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Haroun Souirji

I wonder if you can rent one or both of the external recorders for a day and then check out the functionality and results before jumping in on a big purchase? I don't own an FS700 but if I did and had a project that required the 4K capability this would be a good option regardless of the size of the set-up.

January 8, 2014 at 1:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Sicterricter

yea there are several places online i've found that you can rent the recorders for the day... also with the FS700.

January 8, 2014 at 9:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I think you guys are looking at it wrong. The FS700 produces gorgeous images, and with the Speedbooster, it gives you a full-frame look of the 5D, but with substantially higher latitude and sharpness, not to mention the ability to shoot some pretty damn gorgeous 240fps with the FULL FRAME. The 5D started my career...I was in love with that camera, but my god does the FS700 image just blow it away...no comparison.
Look at the specs. 14 stops of DR, 4K 16bit raw up to 120fps, 2K raw up to 240fps without cropping the sensor. Onboard HD with the most efficient codec on the market. It has some nasty quirks, like the way it deals with dark edges against highlights (but these are gone when you shoot 4K), and some artifacts due to line-skipping in super slow motion. But every camera has pros and cons...just compare them:

RED Epic MX: $30,000 for 4-5K efficient raw onboard, 13.5 stops native DR, super high speed...BUT super buggy and unreliable, horrible in low light, major crop factors for high speed stuff which makes any wide-angle slow mo impossible, ephemeral batteries, and NO onboard 1080p, which is still (and will be for a long time), the most practical and widely used format. Let's be honest, most of our projects are 1080p. Add another $5k for the red rocket.

F5 can't crank as high as the FS700, and with the R5 recorder (which you need for raw/4k), that camera costs $30k

C300: $16,000. Gorgeous image, phenomenal in low light, super compact, reliable, but no full resolution high speed, obsolescence built-in with max resolution of 1080p, only 11.5-12 stops DR, 8-bit color, no swappable lens mount, only a super-35 sensor.

FS700: with the Odyssey 7Q (and a fair amount of SSDs), is about $13,000...STILL cheaper than even the C300, but you get 4K up to 60fps, 2K raw up to 240 fps, with the ability to simultaneously record lean 1080p onboard onto cheap SD cards and/or a super reliable flash unit. With adapters that can ONLY work with the E-mount, you can switch between super 35-sized sensor, or the full-frame 35mm 5D aesthetic while adding an extra stop of light. 14 stops DR, great in low-light, especially with the Speedbooster, on-board ND filters (which the Epic doesn't have), in a goofy-looking, but still pretty compact system...the fact that it's got a lower-profile than the taller C300 actually makes it much easier to handle, as there's much less leverage against your slider or steadicam...a lot more stable. Not to mention, Sony products just WORK. They just work.
I was talked away from getting a Red, and talking into buying the FS700, and I was horribly skeptical. But now I own two. I LOVE these cameras. The slow-mo footage blows clients away. I've shot with the R5 recorder, and yes, it's a horrible ergonomic nightmare, but the footage is insanely good. Insane. Gorgeous. Epic quality. 2K raw gives an added level of sharpness and color depth to the slow-mo...it's much, much better than the small bump in resolution may indicate. The LCD on the FS700 isn't very versatile, but it's way better than the C300 monitor...much sharper and more accurate. With the 7Q, I'll now have a second monitor, and a compact raw/4k recorder. Can't beat it.

Combine the specs...the FS700 is far and away the most powerful/versatile/accessible camera on the market. Nothing sniffs it. Red matches the quality, but it's a pain in the butt and unreliable. No onboard 1080p, major cropping for off-speed. Dealbreakers. Not to mention you could buy 3 FS700's and 7Qs for the price of an Epic package.

January 8, 2014 at 6:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gabriel

Was just about to post this and saw your post. You couldn't be anymore correct.

January 8, 2014 at 6:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anthony Marino

One thing everyone forgets is that for clients wanting 1080 HD, the 4K option lets you do moves in edit that otherwise require equipment on set or location. Call that cheating if you want, but a slow dolly in on the subject or a wider pan - all without having to touch the camera - gives you edit options otherwise unavailable on a smaller frame size.

And then there's the slow motion, which simply cannot be had for anywhere near the price.

January 9, 2014 at 6:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Zan Shin

LOL who need this monster? Buy or rent and old Red One MX and forget this clumsy bugy bazooka.

January 7, 2014 at 3:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Kuk

Odyssey Q7 doesn't record 4K compressed or Raw off FS 700 yet. It may soon but, then again, this is a two year old model that is priced at about $20K to record 4K Raw. F5 is a step up in class and price (full kit about $30K). Both look kind of funky with all their modules tacked on but it may not make much functional difference when on sticks. Considering that Sony already has internal compressed 4K recording with Z 100, one suspects a new interchangeable lens camera with the same feature set to come out fairly soon. With the NAB four months away ...

January 7, 2014 at 3:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

I use the Odyssey 7q on the FS700 and its definitly a complete new camera. In terms of sharpness and detail, the whole image looks much more organic, not that "digital" any more. Convergent Design will release the 4K Firmware in mid of february 2014, so recording real 4K in slog 2.0 in a 700mbit ProRes 422 HQ format is definitly a big improvement and not compareable to the today announced 4k consumer camcorder.

January 7, 2014 at 3:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Manuel

You know when you put it that way it makes sense. I have the fs700. While I'm not in love with it, can't believe it's still only 8bit, and Sony doesn't make you feel proud to own anything they make. It was an after thought for sure. Big marketing scam, however when you account for the slo motion, Odyssey q7s ability and decent low light you still got one hell of a camera. With the odyssey q7 you'll get 444 RGB from the 4k signal (that alone wow). Plus you'll get 240 fps in 2k RAW. Same as f5. Once those things can be accounted for the 7500 you spend for an fs700 plus 4800 for the odyssey. You're still in an area that no one has come close to regarding price. I doubt we'll see anything this year as well. All as I'm saying is for the price minus the Sony solution including the Odyssey you can't beat it. It's a great docu camera all day long.

January 7, 2014 at 6:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anthony Marino

Do you have a link to any footage you shot with that package? I'm interested to know the image benefits of of the FS700 over the C300 and Red Scarlet. I've been researching the F3 and F5, but the Odyssey on the FS700 seems to be a good package for less.

January 8, 2014 at 12:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mason

Here're some sample shots, also the 4K looks pretty good:

January 8, 2014 at 12:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Manuel

I hope they keep releasing more 4k cameras so I can buy the current HD cameras for cheaper, digital distribution, which is the destination of 95% of content creators, is barely handling 1080p well, my last short film I shot in 4K, post produced in 1080p becasue of the large amount of vfx and uploaded in 720p to Vimeo, mostly because I wanted to reach a bigger audience and 1080p is choppy and not reliable on Vimeo. You Tube has also poor performance in 1080p but at least you can chose.
Broadcast, Netflix, itunes, etc has very poorly compressed HD content, the only place I can enjoy nice HD at home is from a Bluray disk, but then again, who still buys Blurays? Not even hollywood movies currently in production to be released within the next 2 years aren't aiming for 4k delivery.Don't call me 4K hater for laying facts.

January 7, 2014 at 3:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Marcus

Obviously this option is pretty ridiculous and almost everyone agrees, including Philip Bloom. All I want is Atomos to step up and give us a 4K recorder capable of 24fps and 30fps with ProRes HQ Rec. 2020 for $3,000 or less. Is that unreasonable? I don't think it will be once all of the 4K options are revealed this year.

January 7, 2014 at 4:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben Corwin

What is keeping you from getting an Odyssey 7Q?

January 7, 2014 at 4:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Haroun Souirji

The Odyssey 7Q is a good option if slow motion is a priority, but 99.9% percent of my work on the FS700 has been shooting in 30fps. I think there should be a much cheaper option for recording 4K ProRes HQ at 30fps or lower, without having to pay the premium of slow motion capabilities at only 2K. When everything is said and done, I would be paying almost $14,000 for a camera that I would shoot slow motion on 0.01% of the time. I'd rather get the price for 4K way down, or just buy a Black Magic 4K cinema camera for $4,000 ; )

January 7, 2014 at 5:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben Corwin

I believe your wish will be granted shortly :-)

January 7, 2014 at 5:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

marklondon

4K option for $2,000 or less is what I should say. Having spent $8,000 on the camera already.

January 7, 2014 at 5:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben Corwin

exactly…after spending so much I will not spend anymore...

January 7, 2014 at 5:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DIO

I hope you get what you are looking for! Should come anytime soon. They Atomos can't let things stay this way.

January 7, 2014 at 5:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Haroun Souirji

I hope so! A small size would be a plus too!

January 7, 2014 at 6:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Ben Corwin

I'm waiting for the gh4

January 7, 2014 at 4:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Antoine

It was just announced.
$2k. 4k feed out over HDMI too.
Looks nice.

January 7, 2014 at 9:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

marklondon

just announced where Mark?

January 7, 2014 at 10:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Anthony

January 7, 2014 at 10:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DLD

Wow, it's quickly becoming standing room only for lower priced 4k.

January 8, 2014 at 12:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

You won't believe how many are going to be announced by April.
I have yet to hear of a serious one under $2k yet, but every price point from there to $20k is going to be covered with a range of features at various prices.

And that's only the starting gun.

By Xmas 2014 we'll be able to pick from a very good field, and klugs like this FS700/4K monstrosity will go the way of the Letus 35mm adapter rigs (which is what that photo reminds me of).

January 8, 2014 at 2:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

marklondon

Well, in fact that is a large setup, but I would prefer the fs700 over the RED because of the additional dynamic range. That means a lot to me.

January 7, 2014 at 4:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

FA

eh? have you ever shot with Red?

January 8, 2014 at 8:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

bzpop

I like the idea of 4k, but I am not interested in shooting raw. Is this camera capable of 4k xavc? That little handycam can do it.

January 7, 2014 at 4:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Drew

Waiting for the 8K version.

January 7, 2014 at 5:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

ronn

lol

January 8, 2014 at 12:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gene

NEXT YEAR

January 8, 2014 at 9:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

DIO

If you want to know how the underwater housing for this raw bazooka sony fs700 rig looks like....than click this link,,,,http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/barracuda/

January 7, 2014 at 5:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Maybe a soma based herbal tea can be made to help calm the 4k haters.

January 8, 2014 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

AAiM

Or maybe they need mega dosages of ginkgo and ginseng to wake them up from the Rip Van Winkle sleep they are in.

January 8, 2014 at 12:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

AAiM

I think it is a bit too much. External recorder looks more like second camera. It becomes huge and probably not very comfortable to work with. I would prefer to work with Red Scarlet much more than with this baby. Of course it kicks asses in terms of frame rates, but than you have epic if you need serious slow motion.

January 8, 2014 at 5:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I'm really impressed by that pool video. Broad daylight, but nothing's over- or under- exposed. There was great shadow detail, but no blown highlights. It looks very good!

The other video... not so much. Blown-out skies AND under-exposed everything else in the same shot. Are we sure they shot raw?

January 8, 2014 at 7:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

jim

I've been in NABShow especially to see the SONY FS700. All the people left with information from Sony that there would be a future upgrade to 4k. All people believed that would, for example, such as Sony F3. A software upgrade!

I was an April Fools! I bought the camera and to my surprise I will now need to pay $ 10,000 more to buy other hardware for recording in 4K. How Phillip Bloom said with precision, "is a bazooka."

The camera was not a HANDHELD??

ridiculous that SONY did, deceiving all consumers.

NEVER BUY A SONY PRODUCT!

January 8, 2014 at 9:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

From all the hate here, I guess all the folks here except a few already own Canon C500s and Red Epic Dragons and Phantom Flex. Must be supercool... that or else maybe they're the guys that sit around drinking coffee and talking smack about everything wrong with stuff they never bought, and how next year they're gonna get the latest/greatest camera in the world for under $1000. Come next year it's lather - rinse - repeat.

January 9, 2014 at 6:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Zan Shin

Sorry - the FS700 has much more than slow-mo going for it. Even more than 4k capture. In the UK the C300 is around £10,500. The FS700 -RH with motor lens and the Oddessey7Q (with the FS700 option off the Convergent Design website) and two 256 cards is about the same price. Even if you have to wait for compressed 4k, you have so many shooting options such as 10bit 1080p 4:4:4 with Slog 2 for the same price as a C300 with the awesome 7Q monitor. Nothing to turn your nose up at IMHO. As its almost April and the FS700 will most likely be succeeded I'm holding off on purchasing any camera, but if 4k cams weren't going to be so popular this year, I would definitely have purchased it. I don't mind modular external recorder - I know some do and I get that! I've shot a webseries with the C300 and it was most impressive and so very efficient in post (once you got past the lack of AMA support in Avid). The only way I'd consider an Sony R5 recorder is for studio work and even then just for rental. So hey, no bazooka! At this time you can only shoot 4K for around £10,000 on large sensor camera's until the BM Production Cinema Camera is released. So is FS700 for 4K really that expensive? Especially when compared to the C300? (I realise that large sensor camera's come at a premium compared to the Z100 or the new Handycam - maybe the FS700 and the F5 will have the 8bit 4:2:0 XAVC-S codec implemented this year?.

January 8, 2014 at 10:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mart

you are using a bad justification with a third-party hardware. What Sony did with their consumers was pure deception. It's a big bazooka! Just missing you say it is possible to use as a handheld ... kkkkkkkkk

January 8, 2014 at 12:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I almost forgot a very important thing! where are the zoom lens for FS700? what do I do with the zoom rocker ? SONY YOU ARE DECEPTIVE !

January 8, 2014 at 3:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Just read about the GH4 - ouch!!!

January 8, 2014 at 10:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Mart

This article is not completely correct . The odessy allows for 4k 10 bit up to 60fps

it also allows for 12 bit raw 2k up to 240 fps with dual proprietary ssds

it can do dpx 1080p 444

it can also do 1080p 10 bit an 12 bit 422 i believe for more space options

my main question has to do with slog and iso performance.

THE FS700 update gave the camera an amazing 20k base iso with barley any noise, my question is if this only applies to 1080 8bit or does it apply to external recordings also.

If so this camera combined with odessy make alot better sense than a scarlett and even the epic , the only thing the epic has will be 120fps in 4k but 4k 10 bit is not that shappy combined with 240fps in 2k raw and a tv or documentary option of 1080 444 that alexa and f35 dynamic range and color gamut territtory.

January 8, 2014 at 8:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

JAYE

why o why do these guys with the cool toys NEVER trust CONTRAST !!!! Work with the blacks and shadows folks !!! It's not always about DETAIL ....

January 8, 2014 at 8:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

So how long is that with the AXS-R5 and a cinema lens and mattebox? I need to hear some numbers... I have fairly long arms...but...

Just looking at the pictures, it's looks like you might not even be able to switch stances when using it on steadicam. That thing looks pretty impractical...like that photo of the Bolex digital camera and the master prime (or whatever big lens it was, I can't remember.)

January 8, 2014 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Daniel Mimura

I started shooting with the Sony NEX FS 100 since it was available, then upgraded to the FS 700 when it came out. I now own two FS 700, two FS 100 and two Canon 5D MKllls. I use the camera for movies, commercials, live recording of recitals, and now an on line food show called Dimitra's Dishes. I love the versatility of the camera and the cost stays with in my budget. The pictures of the Sony products speak for themselves.They are full, rich images that can only be improved upon by the lens that are selected. The Zeiss CP Primes look beautiful in post with no need for gradeing when shot with the right Picture Profile. I'll be moving into the 4K realm with the Odyssey 7Q when they finnaly put it out for purchase as 4K. For me the price is right. I like the RED but bottom line as an Indie producer the cost doesnt justify means. I get the same bang for the buck along with delicious slo-motion work for less then half the price. The cameras are easy to set up and they always perform flawlessly. You can see my work with the Sony's at:https://vimeo.com/robreese.

January 10, 2014 at 8:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

consider this , there are way more fs 100's than f 700, f5,f 55 and f 65s. wound it make sense to get some software updates to fill the sony stocks

January 12, 2014 at 3:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

emilio murillo

like what they did for the f3

January 12, 2014 at 3:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

emilio murillo

I prefer the look of the Sony F700 over the Red products. The Sony has a much more organic look to it

January 16, 2014 at 11:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

MenAtWork

You guys realize you're complaining about a (all together) $9700 camera that shoots 12-bit 4k Pro Res 4:4:4...

June 26, 2014 at 4:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

stephen

that looks more like a weapon than a camera...

September 12, 2014 at 7:04AM, Edited September 12, 7:04AM