March 27, 2014

Having Faith in the Master Shot: Video Interview with Daniel Carbone on 'Hide Your Smiling Faces'

I don't know about you, but I'm always frustrated when I get excited about a good movie at a festival, only to see the film descend into the bowels of obscurity after distribution dead-ends. Why is it so hard for anyone but a handful of good independent films to make their way onto my screen at home? After a year of hard work, I am excited to see the atmospheric, underdog film Hide Your Smiling Faces finally making it somewhere. Around this time last year, director Daniel Patrick Carbone sat down with No Film School over Skype. Checkout our original interview below, and find out where you can download the film now!

New since the last time we spoke to Daniel Carbone, here is the trailer for Hide Your Smiling Faces:

Vimeo trailer for those who can't watch the one on YouTube:

The following interview was done with Daniel Patrick Carbone from his Brooklyn apartment, and he talks about numerous aspects of making Hide Your Smiling Faces, from not yelling with the camera to not knowing if anyone would ever watch the finished product. Not to mention, we also look at a short clip from the film! Take a peak, and take your pick on where you'd like to see the film from the list at the bottom.

Congratulations and good luck, Daniel!

If you'd like to read the original article where this interview appeared, go here. Most importantly, here's where you can download a copy of Hide Your Smiling Faces:

Also, check out the HYSF site for a full list of where the film will be screening theatrically. The film opens in New York this weekend, and has a handful of other theaters across the US where you can see it.

What do you think about Carbone's shooting style of trusting in the master shot? Anyone else been waiting for Hide Your Smiling Faces or another good independent flick to finally come out?

Link: Hide Your Smiling Faces -- Official Site

Trailer impossible to watch from Europe... another prime example of licensing crap. It is not even a final product, just a trailer. Talk about reaching to a wider audience...

March 27, 2014 at 10:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Haroun Souirji

Just added a Vimeo version.

March 27, 2014 at 10:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Thanks. Looks great. If only it screened in theathres in Brussels...

March 27, 2014 at 11:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Haroun Souirji

I liked the interview up until the point where he was given these odd choice questions. In my opinion, those are silly and detracts from the interview opportunity.

That time could have been used more to get an insight into how he made the film, how it came together, his experiences, what he would do different next time or basically anything that we as an audience can benefit from by hearing it. Not the drivel about what politician he would choose.

Thank you for considering this in future interviews.

March 27, 2014 at 11:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

JR

This looks really good! Will order it when I get a chance (hope it won't turn out to be unavailable in the UK).

March 27, 2014 at 11:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

PM

I enjoyed hearing his perspective. Thanks.

March 27, 2014 at 1:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Christian Anderson

Well done Daniel, I've been following the film for quite a while. Glad to get a chance to watch final product. Trailer looks confident and refreshingly restrained. Hard thing to do, especially early on. Best of luck!

March 27, 2014 at 1:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I had the pleasure of viewing this and the Q&A at Tribeca Film Festival last year. I'd love to view it again. Great piece of work from a fellow NJ born filmmaker.

March 27, 2014 at 2:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Karl

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing this

March 27, 2014 at 6:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

stephen

Love Oakley! Makes me smile. She's so sweet!!

that kinda sound creepy but its not! I swear!!!! :)

March 27, 2014 at 6:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

RickyG

What camera and lenses was this shot on? Looks really nice!

March 27, 2014 at 8:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Birk

Hide Your Smiling Faces swept the BendFilm Festival. His reaction to learning he'd just won a $60,000 Panavision rental on top of everything else was freaking priceless. Via text none-the-less.

March 28, 2014 at 1:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Here I am sitting in Australia, intrigued by the trailer. I attempt to purchase the film, only to be denied. When will they understand that they are inhibiting their own profit and potential success?

March 28, 2014 at 3:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

H

Me too.

I've been wanting to watch this for the longest time (since NFS had the article/interview last year).

Why not put it on Vimeo on demand as well? Like the filmmaker did with "Musgo"... I purchased that and refuse to give it to my friends (I tell them to just buy it)

I really would love to support this filmmaker and this film, I don't want to have to download it illegally.

June 8, 2014 at 11:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Reggie

Great film, great interview.

March 29, 2014 at 5:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

Pity the youtube trailer is not available in my country RSA

June 9, 2014 at 4:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

But obviously it's available on every torrent site. I wonder when companies will stop throwing money away by making it impossible for people to pay for their product.

June 9, 2014 at 8:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joe

Great trailer and I really hope to have a chance to watch this movie here in NY. I was wondering if it's possible to know the budget they spent for this project (an estimate would be more than fine), just to have an idea basically.

Thanks

June 9, 2014 at 7:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Leo

The enduring popularity of Venetian glass ornaments
and Venetian glass jewelry is a proof that the saying is true.
Currently we have the BBC new rendition of Sherlock Holmes influencing men's fashion - young, flowing and vibrant.
Even if you focus on a totally relaxed overall look, combine
for just a additional attractive, edgy casual.

August 19, 2014 at 6:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's no fun to be on a social network or to follow someone who
never talks to you. The best examples of the changing marketing environment right
now probably can be found in the movie industry,
with such films as "Snakes on a Plane" and "Cloverfield" being marketed exclusively through the Internet and relying to a great degree on social networking websites spreading the word.
Why would you entrust them with a matter
as sensitive as SEO for your website.

August 19, 2014 at 2:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM