April 3, 2014

Pan, Tilt, Slide! Libec's New ALLEX Tripod System Designed with DSLR Filmmakers in Mind

In a move to enter the consumer DSLR camera market, professional camera support company Libec has announced their brand new tripod system, ALLEX, which with its integrated design, will give more usability to filmmakers working with little money, time, and/or experience. Made up of a tripod, slider, and ball head, the ALLEX system allows users to pull off a number of simple, yet dynamic camera movements, raising the potential production value on your next low-budget project. Continue on to find out more about Libec's ALLEX system.

Here's a bit from Libec's press release:

The system allows amateur DSLR users greater usability by allowing for pro level pan, tilt and slide camera movements. The ALLEX system includes three components, ALLEX H, a 75mm dual head, ALLEX T, a 75mm ball diameter lightweight (2.5kg/5.5lb) tripod and ALLEX S, a 30” slider. By the integration of all three components, The ALLEX system makes dynamic camera moves possible at a surprisingly affordable price.

The system has many features, of which you can check out on their website, but to summarize a few key specs:

Tripod

• Newly modified leg stoppers for more rigidity
  • Lightweight (8.4 lbs.)

Head

• LED bubble level
  • One touch attachment and release
  • Lightweight (about 3 lbs.)
  • Supports up to 9 lbs.

Slider

• 30" in length
  • Legs open and close to 180˚
  • Tripod mount adapter and bowl clamp included

If you're a beginning filmmaker who wants a setup that is simple, portable, and will give you the tools to create professional-looking footage, then maybe the ALLEX system is right up your alley. As you saw in the video, there are several combinations to take advantage of other than a simply still tripod shot. You can mount your camera onto the slider with the head to get nice tracking (or even dual panning/tracking) shots on the ground. You can mount the slider onto the tripod to not only get fluid horizontal movement, but vertical movement (or diagonal and anything else in-between).

My first tripod was a Libec and it has served me well thus far, however, it is quite robust -- or monstrous. It's a beast meant for a similarly designed beastly camera. Now that I'm scaling back the size of all of my gear, it's good to know that if I want an all-in-one camera movement system that is geared toward smaller cameras, from a brand that I've trusted for many years, there's one out there -- or will be out there, anyway.

Libec hasn't released a price for the ALLEX system, but they've reported that it will be available for purchase in August. (They'll be at NAB, so we'll follow up with more info later.) However, if you want to get your hands on one of these systems for free, Libec is running a video contest that will award 5 winners with ALLEX gear, from an ALLEX H Head to an entire ALLEX S + H kit. All you have to do is show off some unique and innovative camera moves! Go here for more info on the contest.

What do you think of the ALLEX system? What similar systems do you use and which would you recommend? Let us know in the comments below.

Link: ALLEX tripod system -- Libec

and they payed you how much to write this "article"?

April 4, 2014 at 2:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tony

Yeah, this is a pretty pathetic thing...

I'd much rather be reading a re-post of an EOSHD article.. than read this.

April 4, 2014 at 2:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

TOM

Then don't read it. Problem solved.

April 4, 2014 at 3:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Coty

You're absolutely welcome to.

No one paid anything for anything.

April 4, 2014 at 4:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

V Renée
Nights & Weekends Editor
Writer/Director

How you guys stay motivated to write all these great articles with all the ungrateful crap you have to listen to no matter what you write is beyond me. Although this tripod isn't for me, thanks very much for keeping us up to date with all the options out there. I also very much enjoyed your article on the "rolling shutter" of the universe. :)

April 4, 2014 at 6:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve

Step 1: Ignore haters
Step 2: Keep doing what you love
Step 3: See Step #1

April 4, 2014 at 2:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Scott

The Internet is filled with trolls, and often the people who complain the most are those who don't know what they are talking about and don't work making videos. Reddit is a good place to build a tough skin. Some of the readers on this page are just such elitist hipsters, they are a joke and nobody cares what they think. This is a job for the people who write on here, why would anyone even care if they were getting paid to feature a product? Uhh, isn't that what's done in magazines all the time anyway?

April 9, 2014 at 3:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ignore the haters. Keep posting whatever you enjoy writing about, regardless if it's a product release or review. I personally love reading updates on new gear, as it pertains more to my type of work than most of the other types of articles.

April 5, 2014 at 11:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nathan D

I'm 34 and I've been on the Internet since before Winsock morphed into Netscape Navigator, and I feel like I'm just now learning what a vile, mean place it has become/has been. Thanks for the 3 step guide Scott, it honestly woke me up a bit. :)

April 8, 2014 at 6:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tyler

paid not freebie? oh that's right they're tripods start to fall apart after about a year of shooting better take the cash

April 4, 2014 at 4:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris Lambert

"Payed"? Hopefully you are not paid to write anything.

April 4, 2014 at 8:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Don

No intention of hating but this is just seriously no news - there are a zillion other option out there that do the same and better. IMHO the quality of NFS has been going down for a while so I had a late night rant after reading this

April 4, 2014 at 3:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tony

What a douche! It's actually nice to see what's new and available, Dumass.

April 8, 2014 at 7:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rock

So you don't ever want to read about new film gear on a film makers blog? You having a bad day or something?

April 4, 2014 at 4:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kyron

I've been doing this with the edelkrone slider for ages :)

April 4, 2014 at 5:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bradyn

for event videography this thing is/would be the cat's pajamas at the right price. Ill wait to see the price point.

April 4, 2014 at 5:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I agree Carlos, I rent the expensive stuff, but this is something I could put in my equipment quiver for pet projects and the like

April 4, 2014 at 7:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

Thank you for continually providing us with great content, V Renee (and NoFilmSchool). I appreciate them very, very much.
I hope this expression of gratitude means something to you guys! Much love from the Philippines!

April 4, 2014 at 9:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

James Calinaya

I gotta say, I've had my tripod setup like this for long time...At least a two years now. And all I did was purchase a 24' slider, for a tripod I already own.

April 4, 2014 at 9:21AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kirk

I have used a diy system like this for years. Having the slider in the middle of the tripod is completely superior to having the slider locked down on both ends because you can slide while moving the tripod which gives you much more dynamic shots.

April 4, 2014 at 12:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jake Jabbs

Thanks for this product info, if the price is rigth... :-)

I do myself a hobby-site, on fishing, and with that backgroud, I hope, they got some money for it. It wouldn't bother me. It takes a lots of time, energy, enthusiasm to manage such a site month after month, and it has to be rewarded.

Nothing comes from nothing. As I use and enjoy this site for free, I feel good about if the editors find other ways of income.

Keep up the good work, thanks again :-)

April 4, 2014 at 3:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert

If it comes up to the standard of their heavy-duty kit then it could be a great package, but if it's more like their low-end stuff I'd be hesitant. I've had to use their smaller tripods a lot and they're not what you'd call hardy.

April 5, 2014 at 8:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

AdamS

I agree this is not "news" - without the price point. Not like it's revolutionary, just convenient. So if it's priced competitively it's just what this site is about. If not, then eh it's another ads. As for LIbec, I've been using their H55 head with matching sticks for a couple of years - and they've held up well even with extreme abuse.

April 5, 2014 at 10:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ronn

I love you V

April 8, 2014 at 4:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dylan

Keep on writing and showing new equipment the way you always have V. There will always be some wannabe trying to look cool by putting someone down. Or maybe they forget there is always someone new to the craft trying to learn and have not seen everything or think they know every thing and appreciate seeing the basics. One thing I have always noticed about the people making negative comments is I have never heard of them or anything they have done.

April 10, 2014 at 12:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gary

Let's see...
Quote from news release: Check
Specs of product: Check
Brief discussion of features: Check
Affirmation of personal experience with brand: Check
Relevant graphics: Check
Link to Manufacturer's website: Check
Announcement of contest to win one for free: Check
Snarky comments by assholes: Check

Yep, it's passed the test as a valuable internet news story.

April 10, 2014 at 2:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Zan Shin

Can somebody with practical experience recommend me a good tripod + slider combo that preferably is less than 1000 bucks? I only use DSLRs (7D) but i guess that the tripod would have to be pretty hefty for use with a slider. Thanks!

April 15, 2014 at 2:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

I heard that the entire ALLEX system will be discounted to $800 when it comes out in August.

April 16, 2014 at 5:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

...to elaborate on the question above.

For example, would a Manfrotto Midi CF System L (http://www.manfrotto.com/midi-cf-system-l) and Konova K2 slider be a solid combo?

April 15, 2014 at 3:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

How much does it cost? I didn't see a price anywhere.

May 5, 2014 at 8:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dylan

And I don't see how a skateboard and any other tripod that can pan and tilt can do the same job.

May 5, 2014 at 8:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM