June 16, 2014

ikan Offers 3-Axis Smartphone Stabilization with the X3 Handheld Gimbal

It's quickly becoming known that the cameras on your phone are capable of handling the massive job of making films -- in fact, Bentley recently used iPhone 5s' to shoot their ad for one of their luxury sedans. Furthermore, there are many accessories and add-ons out there to assist you in the task of making your smartphone cinematography more sophisticated, and ikon's new handheld gimbal stabilizer, designed specifically for smartphones, is another tool to consider. The X3 uses a 3-axis electronic gyro to offer steady movement to users, as well as a lightweight build, without completely emptying their wallets.

Smartphone filmmakers have seen gyro stabilizers hit the market for quite a while, but until late April of this year, we were only given gyros with just 2 axises that still left a little to be desired. Now that a few 3-axis gyros have come through the chute, we're beginning to see more options -- which translates to more potential for the films and videos you want to create on your phones.

ikon's X3 does operate on 3 axises to control the pitch, roll, and yaw. It was designed to be an on-the-go tool, meaning that you're looking at a 2-hour battery life with the its rechargeable lithium-ion battery, as well as a 3-step setup process that seems simple enough, thanks to its single clamp and auto-calibration system. The clamp fits most popular smartphones, including the last two generations of iPhones, Galaxies, Razrs, and HTCs. It's relatively light weight at just 1 1/5 lbs.

Check out how it performs in the video below:

ikan-X3-P

X3-P-ikan

The X3 prices out at $299, so it's not incredibly cheap (though it's comparable to the world's first 3-axis smartphone gyro from DSLR Pros) especially for a piece of smartphone gear. (I'm assuming that most of your projects aren't done on your smartphone -- but if they are -- you're awesome and that's awesome!)

What do you think about the footage? Do you think that ikan's X3 is a good option for smartphone cinematography? Let us know below.

Links:

Oh man, it helps with viral videos!

I'll take 5!!

June 16, 2014 at 11:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom

If only gyro stabilizers were readily available back when they made Cloverfield etc.
Those films would actually be watchable in a theater for me (and everyone else in the crowd I went with).

June 16, 2014 at 11:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Current smartphones weight about half of the RX 100 type of compact, but yet high quality, cameras. Projecting a year forward, the market should begin seeing sub-300 gram cameras with a 4K capability and this stabilizer just might work on them too. I still think that for a long shoot, something like FlowCine's Gravity One concept is the most workable because it offloads the weight from your arms onto the support rig and takes out the vertical bounce off a shot.

June 17, 2014 at 12:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

I'll get one. My real question is will I have it in my other pocket when that digital moment surprises me?

June 17, 2014 at 2:56AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hari Har

sticking a 4k gopro4 into this would certainly be good!

June 17, 2014 at 5:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

johnny b

Ya, GoPro HERO4 is supposed to have 4K at 30fps.

But don't talk to loud about 4K on this blog. Some are easily offended at the mention of 4K. Kinda odd.

June 17, 2014 at 11:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gene

They need to get their s**t together and make these for Blackmagic Pocket Cam + pancake lenses (i.e. 14mm f2.5) and Sony NEX cameras + small/light lenses (i.e. Sony 20mm f2.8, Sony 35mm f1.8)

June 17, 2014 at 7:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Johnny

June 17, 2014 at 5:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Aaron

$300 is too expensive for my taste. Would like to see that number come down. Just bought a Tarot 2 axis gimbal for my DJI Phantom quadcopter for $140. The Phantom 1.1.1 quadcopter cost $459.

June 17, 2014 at 8:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I made vídeos for youTube, most of then with my iPhone, i edit an upload con it. Yes, i will buy it. I dont need a 2k dollars camera for made money con YouTube...

June 17, 2014 at 8:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nelsono

I own the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and the 4k video for a cell phone out of it is outstanding! I would love to use this to pop off quick shots in my travels. Very cool and good price point!

June 17, 2014 at 9:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bobhadababyitsaboy

Yeah awesome. But pay attention when they said "Iphone". Apparently people doesn't know phone is written whit out a "I". I would also like to use my note 3. Or better yet, why don't they build something for light DSLR and others using this same model?

June 17, 2014 at 11:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Edgar

FWIW, Sony is updating their QX line of "lens phones". New software, 30x zoom, greater processing power, 4K potential ... that could make for a decent shooter far beyond the YouTube minimum requirement.

June 17, 2014 at 2:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

would this work with a gopro?

June 18, 2014 at 2:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sam

On Vimeo they say GoPro version is coming soon.

June 20, 2014 at 1:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kristjan

really?

June 18, 2014 at 4:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

That video looks suspiciously like something thats been post processed with stabilizer. Look at the "with" part from 08sek. Why is the "with" party so blurry?

June 20, 2014 at 8:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Cornelius

FYI - just spoke with an IKAN support person they are aware of the problems and they have discontinued the current X3 product - they're testing a new prototype that should fix the 20 seconds until it re calibrates and ruins your steady shot - and the issue where the stabilizer pulls in one direction and throws off the horizontal shot So if you purchase one now you might want to return it and wait for the new model which they say will come out now in a month or two

August 25, 2014 at 2:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM