July 16, 2014

DJI Slashes $1500 off of the Price of the Ronin 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer

DJI_RoninWe've had our eye on DJI's 3-axis gimbal stabilizer, the Ronin, since it made its mark at NAB. It comes with some exciting features not found in other gimbals within the same price range (even in the impressive but expensive MōVI), like its 3 operational modes; “Upright”, “Underslug”, and “Briefcase”. If you thought the Ronin was out of your price range, you might want to jump at the chance to snag it at a seriously discounted price while you can.

In case you missed our previous posts on the Ronin, here are the specs:

• 3-axis stabilized gimbal system
  • Supports a multitude of cameras and lenses (from micro four-thirds to RED EPIC sized)
  • Simple 5-minute setup and balance
  • Built-in tool-less balance adjustment system
  • Built-in receive and remote control available
  • Mobile Bluetooth assistant software
  • Based on DJI Zenmuse technology
  • Gimbal tuning stand
  • Firmware upgradable

The Ronin can support all sorts of cameras, from smaller DSLRs to larger cameras like the RED EPIC (up to 16 lbs).

And here are a few videos to show you what it's capable of:

The Ronin originally went on pre-sale last week for $4,499, but now it's being offered for $2,999 on B&H. That's still a lot of cash to spend on a stabilizer (comparatively not, though), but it's definitely much more doable for all of you budget filmmakers looking for something versatile (and less expensive than the $15K MōVI). The Ronin will begin shipping in August.

Link: DJI Ronin -- B&H

Any word on how long the price slash will be here? I've been looking at this for a while as well and was going to order one in the beginning of August so hopefully it lasts that long!

July 16, 2014 at 10:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

AaronW

I really hope this is a permanent price cut. Even at this awesome low price, I can't really swing it right now, but probably can at the end of the year.

July 17, 2014 at 10:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You can get these on ebay for $600. Anyone ever try one of those?

July 16, 2014 at 10:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

michael

how can it be on eBay if it's not even being shipped? Atlanta Hobby won't get theirs until the 21st.

July 16, 2014 at 10:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Second Light

I am sure Michael meant the generic 2- and 3-axis stabilizers. CAME TV has a new 3-Axis unit for $1400, 32-bit controller board and claims to be "almost" self-balanced.

July 16, 2014 at 10:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

yes thats what i meant

July 16, 2014 at 10:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

michael

The CAME TV gimbal is worth what you pay for. If you research videos on the look on this gimbal the footage is clearly not as smooth as the DJI Ronin. The CAME TV will give you a better shot as oppose to handled but does not give you the level of smoothest of the Ronin. The DJI Ronin has way better features than the CAME TV hands down. At $3,000 the DJI is a clear winner. You got some nice technical support too. Good luck buying Chinese gimbal that has no US technical support. That is a huge risk if you damage or break it because there goes $1,200. Good luck my friend and happy shooting!

July 17, 2014 at 3:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Richard

Everything is so very serviceable that the cost of repair is actually pretty small.

July 17, 2014 at 3:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You basically have to become a gimbal specialist purchasing the CAME TV. Question is it worth your time. I saw videos on how you need to connect to a computer to calibrate the until yourself. Once you have a different payload on the unit you have to recalibrate it. Honestly, seems pretty time consuming. I just want to run and go when I film! However, if you have the time, patience, and not minding a little wobble or up and down motion in your camera shots then the CAME TV gimbal system is for you.

July 17, 2014 at 3:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Richard

Beside DIY rigs cost as much as 2500 DLS fully loaded but with lower quality motors accessories, faulty designs that don't consider what you need to shoot properly. I have dealt with several and though they work, they are more for hobbies. I made aome shots but each time I shoot there was a lot of buggs, shakes, and buzzes gyro calibration related. All that DIYs has thsame problem p.o.s electronics... Don't waste your time or money....

August 8, 2014 at 9:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

joey

Seriously those are basically crap. You need controllers and a lot of experience with those and basically they are very weak.

July 17, 2014 at 6:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Charlie

I've got one of the ebay ones (DYS Eagle Eye, exactly the same as the came 7000). 32bit with a joystick. It's actually very good value for money. I got a working gimbal, that can do inverted mode, profile changes with the joystick, and the 32bit with the right PIDs is rock solid, and a great gimbal. HOWEVER, you have to manually tune the PIDs for every change you make, and that is a pain in the ass! Plus the balancing takes forever because the CF rods are always slipping when you loosen the bolts. I will be getting the Ronin for tool-less balancing, and the beautiful auto tune feature, and can carry large cameras up to 17lbs. And at the new price, its a no brainer! BeSteady 4 is about £7000 I think, and I hear horror stories! Movi is way over-priced. Ronin is the way to go hopefully! BUT it is 4kgs with out a camera.

July 17, 2014 at 7:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Leo Burton

yes I bought the DYS Eagle Eye for $799 and it's actually pretty good, but a pain in the ass to stabilize, the wires are all external, and the battery has to be velcroed on to the gimbal. Plus, it only lasts 2 hours. It's just not anywhere close to what the Ronin can do. I mean, it beats a Flycam, any day, but the user friendliness and versatility of the Ronin, for the price, it's pretty amazing. I DO NOT recommend getting the lower priced 3-axis gimbals from ebay. If you want professional looking film with a 3-axis gimbal, spend the money to get something that's worth it, with the correct construction and easiness of usability. I'm planning on selling my Eagle-Eye to buy the Ronin. tomorrow. that is all. good bye.

August 6, 2014 at 1:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

My guess: this is a pricing mistake, and will not be honored.

July 16, 2014 at 10:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jack

Jack,

The price change was confirmed by DJI

July 16, 2014 at 10:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Samir

Nevermind. It's legit. I got one.

July 16, 2014 at 11:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jack

Purchased!

July 16, 2014 at 10:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

They must have realised it is too heavy. This is to offload the current model quickly while they launch a CF version shortly after. They have been doing it that way for the drones.. rapidly coming up with new models. Better to wait out. The MOVI is still a better deal for now.. much lighter and more usable.

July 16, 2014 at 10:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sean

You can read about it at reduser. They expected orders in the hundreds but received orders in the thousands so were able to offer better pricing. At this price it is very attractive. However I feel like I wish more of them were officially off the production line. I kinda want to wait for more of them to get out there but I also feel like the longer I wait I will be behind too many and I am not a patient person. If anyone gets one please post some real world footage. That would be much appreciated.

July 16, 2014 at 10:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Samir

Yeah nine pounds without a camera in it is absolutely preposterous. If it had a mount other than handlebars it might be attractive as a remote head.

July 16, 2014 at 11:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Phil McTaggins

This Stabilizer can handle a 17 lb camera package, which is why it weighs as much as it does.

There is nothing even close to this price that can handle the same weight range.

July 17, 2014 at 3:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Guy McLoughlin

Time to start exercising those shoulder muscles. Kettle Bells actually help so much, I've been doing some pretty basic exercises with a 35 pound kettle bell for the past month and it's made my hand held shots with the Edelkrone Pocket rig incredibly stable. I also have 10 and 15 pound kettle bells that I have started to use as a way I can practice holding my camera in front of me.

If you really want to be a camera operator, you have to put the work into it in all aspects, and that means building some monster shoulder muscles. If you spend the time, 20 pounds will be manageable.

July 17, 2014 at 7:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Julian

Not with how you operate a 3 axs gimbal for many shots it won't.

July 19, 2014 at 5:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lliam

Agreed. I've been op'ing for many years. Half of my preparation for today's op'ing is working out. Especially if you do handheld, doc or reality, you can just glance at an "op" and tell whether they're fit for the job. Gimbal shots won't be for long interview/reality type shots but for moves, narrative, eye candy B Roll. Rarely, will you be holding the rig for more than a minute.

July 22, 2014 at 1:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

9lbs vs 6lbs. Man up. It's not that big a deal especially once you fly an Epic, PL lens, monitor, etc. Say with a 10lb rig you're looking at 16lb total vs 19lb pounds. Now if you want to outfit your Epic properly, with filters, MB, focus/iris control, wireless feed, you're now looking at a 14lb camera. Unfortunately, your Movi can't handle that weight while the Ronin gives you two pounds to spare. The metal parts on the Ronin are at the areas that have the greatest shear load and torque. Carbon in these areas at full payload is more prone to slip.

Also the weight difference isn't in the carbon vs metal (that would be less than a pound) but in motors that can handle a properly rigged camera. I can't stand having to tape filters on a Movi.

July 22, 2014 at 1:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

theres a comodo one on B&H for $1500

July 16, 2014 at 10:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

michael

Comodo One isn't gyro-stabilized like this; it's mechanical and hardly smooth at all.

July 17, 2014 at 9:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sathya

I have a CAME-TV 7500 that cost $1100 that works great. It is also light. Other companies may make more impressive or sturdier stabilizers, but I can't imagine anything could stabilize any better. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well. Seems well made to me as well.

July 17, 2014 at 12:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Elliot Kramer

It won't hold 16 lbs though. Great for a 5DMKIII or smaller.

July 17, 2014 at 12:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Elliot Kramer

@Elliot, I was thinking about getting the Kame version too. How well does it operate with Mark III + Monitor and follow focus too?

July 17, 2014 at 12:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Geoff

great for flying reds, but if you're only flying smaller cameras, no thanks. my birdycam is amazing and weighs half as much as this, cost a grand less, i can even stick it in a backback, and is perfect for my gh4

July 17, 2014 at 12:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

I held the ronin with the epic at NAB. It's freaking heavy. The Ronin by itself with NO camera is a ridiculous 9lbs. But you can't argue the price point at $2999. If you are a dslr shooter you're going to need to consider the 9lbs. 9lbs plus camera, follow focus, monitor, batteries...being a dslr shooter the weight is not practical and will make your shooting experience a pain in the arms. Just something to consider.

July 17, 2014 at 12:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joel

I got to start considering to start working out ;)

July 17, 2014 at 3:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Richard

Am I the only one that finds these new gimbal stabilizers to be sort of "gimmicky"? I got one for review (company shall remain unnamed) and it's honestly not worth the hassle IMO.

I'm sure once you get everything set up and balanced enough times you can be ready to shoot in 10-15 minutes but are the results THAT much better than the traditional GlideCam?

Learning to fly a drone was less of a headache and infinitely more rewarding/exciting.

July 17, 2014 at 12:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

i guess it depends on witch stabilizer are we talking about, leaving the price at one side the Movi m5 its lightweight, reliable, easy and fast to set up, results are easier to achieve for an inexperienced movi operator than for an inexperienced glidecam operator.

July 17, 2014 at 9:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hi Luke,

I don't feel it's gimmicky. I've shot for many months with the MOVI on the feature I'm in production on, and my honest opinion is that they really are a very powerful tool when it comes to their adaptability and ease which they can bring higher productions values in differing and challenging environments - and at speed.

It obviously has a far smaller learning curve than a steadi, but it still requires the real skill of being a great op, (unless you're just shooting wide angles in slow mo and chasing things) but as ever, it's still about good framing and following the beats of motivated movement etc.

For some shots and scenarios a Steadi will still always clearly be preferable I think, as will Dollies and jibs. Anyone who says otherwise I can't help but doubt hasn't really pushed the 3 axis stabilisers through enough scenarios. But is a new tool that definitely adds to the arsenal in powerful ways. and I really do believe it's lower budget productions that stand to have the most to gain.

I've shot 4 minute one shots, starting with god shots that transition into low mode coverage and everything in between. My partner in the MOVI just shot from the top of a tall ship with a a sailor climbing up the mast rigging. It's all footage we simply could not have achieved the same way with another tool.

IMHO It's probably best seen as a new version of high quality and liberated handheld movement - that lets you get very creative, very quickly, and be very responsive to the performances of you're actors or needs or opportunities of your environment. Such as when actors improvise or miss marks you can reframe and or explore the shot in ways you simply can't with other tools.

July 18, 2014 at 10:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lliam

Oh, and regarding the set up time. The MOVI takes very little time for us to set up now. Setting up a paralinx with video village and checking the Wireless FF is working ok is where the most time is usually spent. But even then it's not very long at all, and once those are set, it's proven to save us a lot of time on set.

July 18, 2014 at 10:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lliam

For all those complaining about the weight - I have analysed this on my REDUSER thread in great detail. CF is not an option for these heavy payloads. Just ask anyone trying to use the MOVI with properly configured RED camera. I know what I am talking about as I am testing the beta officially for DJI and have had it for 3 weeks now. The main weight is due to the powerful motors - which you need for 16lbs payloads. If you don't need that payload (if you need it for 5D, etc...) - there are plenty of options out there - chose wisely. But if you need to "fly" cine-kitted RED, ARRI-235, ARRI-ALEXA-M, or any of the pro-cine cameras with all the must-have accessories - such as follow-focus, matte-box with filters, wireless HD, etc... - there really is no other option at the moment. And certainly not at this price...

And please do not relate the price with the quality of the product. It would have been much cheaper if they made it from CF tubes like everyone else. The Ronin is precision machined alloy designed for maximum strength while shaving off every gram they could have without sacrificing the specs...

If you want to see some footage shot on it - there are some nice videos on the DJI website, or you can have a look at my first test...:

Cheers

Peter Majtan

July 17, 2014 at 1:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

"The main weight is due to the powerful motors – which you need for 16lbs payloads. If you don’t need that payload (if you need it for 5D, etc…) – there are plenty of options out there – chose wisely. But if you need to “fly” cine-kitted RED, ARRI-235, ARRI-ALEXA-M, or any of the pro-cine cameras with all the must-have accessories – such as follow-focus, matte-box with filters, wireless HD, etc… – there really is no other option at the moment. And certainly not at this price…"

Hi Peter,

Lliam Worthington here, we've exchanged a few posts on REDuser, and I've always really appreciated your input and work. We've been shooting with the MOVI for about 7 months now and we've shot a lot of days and scenarios over that period.

I think the Ronin looks like an amazing product in most every regard (that price drop is crazy good) and there are people round me all the time falling in love with the MOVI but who can't afford one so I advise them of other options ... but with the Ronin, while I'd love to be able to say otherwise, I'm one of the people who just can't see past the limitations inherent with the weight, as I think for many it would prove too limiting a factor. There are a lot of guys flying RED's and C300's on MOVI's and even own configs push strong ops up to and beyond their limits, and have not proven feasible for smaller or female ops.

I have no interest in ever talking anything down, but the fact is it just would not be possible for us to have shot so much of what we have with the extra weight of the Ronin. I'm smitten with the creative possibilities and freedom that the 3 axis gimbal's provide, but the overall weight bares a critical role in taking full advantage of those, and I want those possibilities. I also want to be able to shoot them on RED, not just a DSLR, and we are shooting "pro cine".

We intend to invest in an easy rig and Serene for situations where assistance in stabilising the additional 3 axis's would be ideal and or length and strength are too taxing, but there are many applications where an easy rig would not be feasible for the shot we've envisioned.

If you are happy to always use support, I appreciate this is an amazing unit to power heavy payloads, (It's pricing system is literally backwards compared to everyone else) and I also realise there are still exciting applications and other types of coverage where the weight may be made moot (it's pretty cool rigging the MOVI on a jib and having a poor mans version of a scorpio head) but otherwise, my own experiences over the past months is that most people would be missing out on some of the most exciting applications and versatility of a 3 axis gymbal system with a 9lb base weight - unless they are very very strong. So unfortunately I do think there is some serious legitimacy to the weight concerns people have.

Best Wishes

Lliam

July 18, 2014 at 1:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Lliam

Totally agreed! That's how I felt when trying both at NAB! Love the concept of tool-less balancing from Ronin. I hope they shed some weight on their next version.

July 19, 2014 at 4:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tim

Luke you are absolutely right! I mean yes these are incredible for some shots, but around 80 percent of the time and hell of a lot less stress the glidecam/steadicam options are appealing.

July 17, 2014 at 1:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Krishna Yalla

Apples and Oranges...

As camera moves it needs to be stabilised in total of 6 axis.
3 axis for rotation and 3 axis for translation (3xR + 3xT)
Steadicam type of rigs stabilise the translation - while the gimbals like Ronin stabilise rotation...
This is the fundamental difference between Steadicam and Gimbals.
In the ideal world you would want to combine both for the ultimate 6-axis stabilisation - and many are already doing so. There are even options (like the Helix from Letus) that allow you to only use 1-axis (horizon) stabilisation on a Steadicam for a 3xT + 1xR setup.
And there are experiments where 1T axis has been added to gimbals for a 1xT + 3xR config, such as this guy...:

There are other solutions like the EasyRig in combination with the Serene arm to help supporting such a gimbals...

P

July 17, 2014 at 1:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I'm not giving up on the technology as my case could just be a unique situation. Bad units exist in all tech and you're bound to run across them from time to time.

I couldn't get mine balanced, a wire (for the battery) came apart during shipping, and then once I finally got it to power up one of the wires burst into flames and it powered down again. Wasted half a day on it with not a single frame captured.

I want to like them but at this point I don't view them as a necessary piece of gear for any shoot.

July 17, 2014 at 1:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This is where the Ronin excels. Being a DJI product - they have put in their years of experience with 3-axis gimbals. It has an "auto-tune" and "auto-calibrate" functions that actually work and do so well under a minute. The smart-phone app features extremely user-friendly UI and offers quick adjustment of any parameters to match the needs of any particular shot. Do you need to follow and subject that quickly changes directions, etc? No problem. Tighten and speed-up the respective settings while you are "running" the rig live in your hand and immediately see the reaction. Adjust to your liking. Then need to quickly swap to buttery-smooth follow mode? No problem. Rinse and repeat. You really need to have a go at the Ronin. It is extremely well build and provides by far the most user-friendly experience. The first test video I have posted above was literarily done after I have received the beta unit WITHOUT any user manual (which is still being worked on). Put it together all by myself without needing any assistance from DJI. 30 min later I was out there chasing the deer. I have since shot various other scenarios and configurations, including full cinema setup. Pic are posted on the REDUSER...

Not sure how to add pics here, but you can also see it from my server...:

[IMG]http://www.derylgroup.com/downloads/DJI/RONIN/PHOTOS/Ronin_cine_hero_rig...

P

July 17, 2014 at 1:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Just copy this link and paste into your browser...:

July 17, 2014 at 1:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

just curious, why did you mount the gopro on there ?

July 19, 2014 at 5:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Might have try this one out instead then! Looks (and sounds) pretty great. Don't want to have my heart broken again though...I might wait a few weeks. The pain of the last failure is still too near.

July 17, 2014 at 1:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I hear you loud and clear. Been there myself too many times to count. Which is why it is so refreshing to see product like this. Aside of RED coming out with their digital cinema cameras back in 2007 there has not been another product that has revived my passion of filmmaking, as I specialise in motion platforms - anything from Steadicam, through dolly, crane, cable-cam - all the way to aerials. I love to be able to move the camera - tripod is my (frequently needed) enemy... ;o)

If you have the chance to give the Ronin a go - do not postpone and dive in! The water is worm, the beer is chilled and the chicks are waiting... ;o)

P

July 17, 2014 at 2:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ha! I agree. I love moving the camera and I have just been waiting for the right gimbal to start on this tech. Are you (can you) going to post your footage somewhere?

July 17, 2014 at 3:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The first test is here...:

send me an email to pmajtan(at)me(dot)com for a link to a more recent second test with a fully kitted RED...

P

July 17, 2014 at 3:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

No offence, I know this is a test, but the camera motion looks kind of robotic to my eye. But I guess my mind is comparing it to Steadicam shots and gimbals don´t mimic that, but rather introduce a new and genuin style of movement. Maybe I just want to see the microprocessor adjustments, but I see them;) It´s a little like the different flavors of 24p cadence you get from various cameras, some just don´t look right.

July 17, 2014 at 8:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

BearWithMe

And bout the "getting ready" speed...

Do you know how long it takes to setup Steadicam ready for work?
After 7 years operating Steadicams - I can do it under 30 min...
Do you know how long it takes to setup a dolly shot?
Great crew can also do it under 30 min, but mostly you should plan for 45~60 min...
Do you know how long it takes to setup the Ronin?
After 3 weeks with it - I can do it under 5 min...

Again - the gimbals won't replace any of the current motion platforms. It is simply yet another tool in our DP armoury. It provides an amazing productivity increase, but more importantly it gives us DP's that much more creative freedom in designing our shots. Passing rigs through windows, or between operators and various other supporting platforms. Vincent's "taxi shot" from his Movi M10 demo is one of the best to show what can be achieved with the gimbals when in the hands of talented people who can think outside the box. Also the DJI's one-take shot is worth watching - especially the behind the scenes...

P

July 17, 2014 at 1:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Folks, this is standard practice of DJI, nothing wrong with that. They have been doing price slashes from a long time. From NAZA controllers all the way back to the days of rc helicams UAV flight controllers. Check rcgroups, or ask their dealers, you'll see it's normal stuff for DJI to do. :)

I say it's an amazing price at and it will be a hard gimbal to compete with for that money. Good thing it should bring prices down and that is good.

Interesting times ahead.

July 17, 2014 at 1:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Would you prefer them to just hold the original release price on their products?
They have clearly stated why this is - they were only expecting c/a 200 orders per month. They now have 2000 preorders. They were gracious enough to pass the savings associated with much larger production run onto us - the end users. I would be more concerned if they ended up rising their prices on regular basis... ;o)

We do agree thou that this is good which ever way you look at it. It will certainly force the likes of FREEFLY to rethink their pricing strategy... ;o)

P

July 17, 2014 at 2:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You may be reading something I didn't say, friend I don't mind price slashes. :)

What I said is that I've known DJI way before they got in the gimbal market, from the days of rc UAV helicopter flight controllers they produced to the day they started with their first multicopter controller after Xaircraft brought theirs into the market to compete with mikrokopter, so I'm familiar with how they have operated for years.
But whatever the reason behind the slash of prices for the Ronin, I'm telling you it's normal strategy for them to do this, it's business after all. They did it with their flight controllers and other equipment, sometimes slashing prices 50%, which is awesome. Ask their dealers if you don't believe me. Having said this I hope I'm not giving a negative impression about DJI, I sell their stuff after all, and I'm in for cheaper prices on their products, even if it's a gimbal that will compete with mine own gimbal products, I'm still excited about this. Like they say, competition is good, and it promotes advancement of technology for the greater masses.

As a matter of recommendation to everybody, anytime you see something new coming from DJI, wait 3-4 months (usually) and they'll drop the price quite a bit, guaranteed. :) Visit rcgroups and ask them, they'll tell you the same thing.

Cheers

July 17, 2014 at 4:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

As someone waiting on my Ronin to arrive (early buyer from Reduser Group Buy), I've no problems with this strategy. If only the makers of lens control took the same approach. People who bitch about the price of gimbals, try shopping for FIZ lens control or wireless feed. Until Ronin, I never thought that the gimbal would end up being the cheapest part of the package.

July 22, 2014 at 1:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

How much noise does it make?

July 17, 2014 at 2:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yammatal

Properly balanced it is silent. Quiet enough for audio recording thanks to its brushless motors and superb machining. If you make it work hard (by not balancing the camera properly, or bumping it into something) - you will briefly hear a slight buzz (still rather quiet) as the motors regain their equilibrium (the shot will be unaffected visually). I am putting through variety of torture tests - I have even swapped a lens on-the-fly without rebalancing the rig and it still worked flawlessly...

July 17, 2014 at 2:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dji has some nice products, but I know people who say their customer service is really really bad. I do aerial work and have used their zenmuse gimbals for two years now, never had a problem with those.

July 17, 2014 at 7:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

johnny

THIS is one of the most interesting developments at DJI. They are putting together a PRO support team by hiring people with years of experience in our industry. There are also other related developments I can't talk about yet. Needless to say - they won't leave any more room for "customer support complaints"...

July 17, 2014 at 8:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I contacted their customer support earlier this year when two (!) boards fried on my phantom 1, they were extremely nice and helpful, so from my own limited experience I'll disagree with the "really really bad" customer service observation.

July 22, 2014 at 6:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick Hiltgen

At some point, it's easier to get a modded Segway - Anton Bauer is on its MK 5 version - to mount a camera. Freefly also makes an RC car for the same purpose.
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-Mkf9cNgs ]

July 17, 2014 at 9:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

i bought a three axis 32 bit gimbal from a guy who runs a small company outside of toronto. happy to recommend him, his product is great, his service is great, and he has a bunch of other happy customers besides me ... i have no skin in this, just happy to endorse a guy who's doing a great job ...

shea at stablegimbal.com

July 17, 2014 at 9:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

steve knifton

For the price of almost two Ronin's? I'll pass.

July 22, 2014 at 1:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

@ BearWithMe... No offence taken. If you read the description at the end of the video and also in the YouTube notes - you will realise that this was a very first time I have laid my hands on the prototype. I literarily had no prior "getting to know it" time - this was it. I did not do any adjustments nor tuning - just took it out of the box and went out to try it in order to familiarise with the unit and how it responds to my movement. Only once I understood this - I could begin to play around with the various settings and fine-tune the response to what I needed. It is worth to note that different types of shots would require different presets to achieve variety of shots. All those shot in that first test were on the same default setting. You would not normally use the same setup for shooting handheld while walking and to shoot from a car. In a nutshell - what you see there is the worse that gimbal will ever be. In the first week of testing there were two FW and SW updates and I have learned so much about it. Now it really comes down to me getting a lot of practice. Just as with Steadicam - there is a learning curve here to master such a tool. What matters to me is the knowledge that the Ronin can deliver all I want from it. All I have to do is to learn how to "ask". You will see a major progress in my final review video at the end of the beta-testing...

July 17, 2014 at 11:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Peter -

Just for the record, I thought your footage was mostly really well done. I think this is probably a really good gimbal. I think there has been some hype associated with these. They offer modest improvements in steadiness over a steadycam, etc. I think people expect footage to look like it was taken from a slider or a dolly.

I hope DJI does really improve its customer service. I have a Zenmuse gimbal that needs repair and I can't even get hold of anyone to ask what to do. If I call, I am usually the 18th caller. After 45min I was the 13th caller. I gave up.

July 17, 2014 at 1:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Elliot Kramer

Does anyone know exactly what you get for 2999? does it include the transmitter remote? cheers paul

July 17, 2014 at 7:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

According to the DJI website the remote controller is included

July 18, 2014 at 4:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Brian

A nice - and glowing- piece on FlowCine Gravity One - a 2-axis unit that works well with the EasyRig.

July 17, 2014 at 11:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Would there be any change that a lighter version for a 12lbs payload will be introduced in the future.
I understand the weight comes with the maximum payload, so I guess a smaller max must yield a smaller weight :-p

July 18, 2014 at 8:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ronin was the way to go...and with this new price tag...it is most absolutely the way to go...additional gear such as easy rig or even a steadicam are most welcome when using gimbals...no matter the original weight of the gimbal...because when you are working on set from early morning to late at night you get tired this way or another...

July 18, 2014 at 9:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

drazen

This reminds me - someone did combine a Steadicam vest and a 3-Axis stabilizer into this -

July 18, 2014 at 3:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Interesting how all of the fast action footage in the demo was shown in slow motion I'd like to see those shots in normal speed to really see how the gimbal handles the movement. Feels like a slight cheat to me.

July 18, 2014 at 10:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Spooky

I got it in a shop called Special Camera Service. It seems they have the demo Ronin from DJI weeks ago.
Free shipping and asked if they can mark a lower value, waiting to have it next week!

July 18, 2014 at 10:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Manta

Most of these way too expensive stabilizers are aimed at RED cameras and 5DMIII users. How about us guerilla filmmakers with a 6D or GH4 and under; smaller camera setups etc. These stabilizers cost entirely too much for the average low bidget filmmaker. We dont need fancy controllers etc. We just want a stabilizer that we can put a cam, audio recorder and maybe a light on and we're good to go. any options out there for us? I have a Canon 70D. Think im just going to just get better at using my flycam nano stabilizer. Shrugs

July 20, 2014 at 5:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Does anyone know when B&H expects to begin shipping?

August 8, 2014 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM