August 18, 2014

Get 100+ Real Light Leak & Lens Flare Overlays in Full HD from RodyPolis

If your film work consists of a lot of wedding, music, or experimental videos, you probably include a good amount of stylistic light leaks and lens flares to add a little more panache to match the emotional nature of your material. However, if you or your clients are like the Chotchkie's Manager from Office Space and want just a little more flair, RodyPolis has a collection of over 100 HD leaks and flare overlays called Lens FX Prism that are not only organic, but reasonably priced.

Okay, so you can definitely find a bunch of great overlays online, be they flares, leaks, grains, or whatever. However, many times you get what you pay for (flat, poorly designed -- essentially overlays that look like overlays). One of the great features of Lens FX Prism is that all of the light leaks and flares were created organically in-camera instead of being computer generated, so they offer a more natural look and feel.

Here's what RodyPolis has to say about their overlay package:

Lens FX Prism is a stock footage package from FX creator RodyPolis. The pack contains over 100 real light leaks and lens flare overlays that are compatible with all NLEs that support Blending Modes. Simply drag and drop the light leaks over your footage for a stylized look in seconds! These work great for music videos, montages, wedding videos, and even photos.

Here are its features:

• 70 HD Light Leaks and Flares
  • 30 Stills for Photography
  • 60 Bonus “Alpha Kit” Effects
  • Works with all NLEs that support Blending Modes such as Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut, Vegas, etc.
  • Instant Download delivery
  • Only $39

The overview video below should tell you pretty much everything there is to know about Lens FX Prism:

If you're interested in learning more about RodyPolis' collection of stock light leaks and flares, head on over to the product page.

Link: Lens FX Prism -- RodyPolis

God these are sooo overused in everything nowadays.

August 18, 2014 at 10:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John Wilton

That's the unfortunate side of being in technical...

August 19, 2014 at 2:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mokies

I refuse to use them for that reason.

August 20, 2014 at 11:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

... But QUICKTIME is NOT compatible with Windows 7 64bit!!

August 18, 2014 at 10:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Joseph

What do you mean? Quicktime works fine on my 64 bit Windows 7.

August 18, 2014 at 11:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jason M

Oh good, more stock film burn/flare/light leak overlays that we can tell exactly where they came from. How about an article on shooting your own effects plates?

August 18, 2014 at 11:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Patty mc pat pat why don't you write an article on shooting your own effects plate?

August 19, 2014 at 1:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jeff

Maybe I will. But what's wrong with my offering an idea for new content for NoFilmSchool to replace something like this? I thought it a rather constructive comment.

August 19, 2014 at 7:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Hey Pat,
Sorry for being rude. The "Oh good" line at the start just made me a little sour because I felt that if it was intended to be a constructive comment that sarcasm wouldn't have been there. Just my personal feelings at the moment. I too would love an article on creating effects plates and think it is a great suggestion for NFS. Excited for the new site to be rolled out.

August 20, 2014 at 1:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jeff

Great stuff V. Renee. This will be a tremendous help as I prep for shooting my sister's wedding in several months. Thank you!

August 19, 2014 at 3:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex

August 19, 2014 at 3:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

S Matthews

This is why I hate giving my pristine rushes to 'trendy' editors.

Half an hour with the black boards, french flag and incident meter...

yeah lets just fling all the snash back in....

why?

cause i saw it on a katy perry video.

i'll get my coat.

August 19, 2014 at 3:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Paul

Hahaha

August 20, 2014 at 11:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

Unreasonable lens flares and "film burns" are definitely the most overused effect at the moment. I hate lens flares when you can clearly see that they are not real, such as every example in their promotion video. And by "real" I mean that they didn't occur at the time of the shoot.

August 19, 2014 at 5:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sad, but true. I do a lot of work for a rather large advertising agency and it seems as though the only way to get anything past the creative directors these days is to pile lens flares upon lens flares upon light leaks... seriously, it's almost impossible to tell what's behind them anymore... but hey, if it gets the bloody things approved and out the door, I don't care - at the end of the day it's their video, not mine.

August 19, 2014 at 6:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stephen

In fact, only 70 video overlays ...
Here http://vegasaur.com/light-leaks 180 HD video overlays are priced at $49 (not including 10% discount that is offered when downloading their free pack)

August 19, 2014 at 7:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Olly

When you factor in the Alpha Kit, the package goes way over 100 video overlays. Our package is designed to be very customize-able, so with a little effort, users can create a large variety of different looks to fit their projects.

August 19, 2014 at 2:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rodolphe

I've been following RodyPolis on and off for about a year now. Glad to see them getting some recognition on here. Well deserved!

August 19, 2014 at 8:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dani Alvarez

Light leaks are overused. But they are fun and they can make a crappy video look better lol. Its like an icing on the cake. But yea, they are overused.
I remember using them in some stuff and my cinematographer teacher was like WTF is that sh*t? It looks like I am purposely shooting bad or it just looks plain fake.

BUT alas, I still use it from time to time. Its fun. :P

August 19, 2014 at 12:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jay

Please no.

August 19, 2014 at 12:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris

Hahaha

August 20, 2014 at 11:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Adam

I do this effect on my own all the time. I put the lens cap on my lens, detach it from the camera body, and record footage in front of a bright light, while moving the lens closer and further from the sensor, letting light leak in. In post, set the blending mode to screen. Of course, you don't get all the crazy flares that Lens FX Prism offers, but that's my friendly tip if you're looking for something DIY, to save a buck.

August 19, 2014 at 4:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Craig

Same here. It's super simple and you can color correct it to whatever color you need it to be. I tend to only use them if I'm shooting across a light or the sun. It's another one of those cool effects that went popular, so people think it's dumb now. If you can use it without drawing all of the attention to it, then it can be an added "flare" to your film (for lack of better words).

August 19, 2014 at 5:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Will

None of the examples int he sample video make sense. I see a lot of people just add them to static shots and it makes no sense.

If you are going to use Light Leaking or flaring in your video, it should have direction and be coming from a source, not just "hey this looks cool".

August 19, 2014 at 4:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tony

not true, if you ever shot film on a 16mm wind-up bolex the film canister or film spool can get light leaks that are not based on any light source. That is why it is called a light leak.. A lens flair is what you are talking about that needs a light source where it shoots down the lens.. So no source is every needed for a light leak. But they usually appear on the edges of the frame and spread inward.

August 25, 2014 at 5:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Great stuff for a dozen of new Lana Del Ray videos.

August 19, 2014 at 6:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Is the product RolyPolis or RodyPolis? Thanks.

August 20, 2014 at 1:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM