Digital Sputnik's modular DS LED Lighting System may have been out of your financial reach with its $10K price tag, but we have good news -- and bad news. The good news is DS has slashed that price in half, offering a 50% discount on the system. The bad news? The sale ends today.
If you're unfamiliar with Digital Sputnik, you might remember our coverage of their aerial lighting rig, the DS Heli System. Back on the ground, though, the DS LED lighting system is designed to be fully modular, lightweight, and energy efficient while maintaining high color precision and flicker-free dimming, meaning these lights may be ideal for high speed camera work. Furthermore, you can control and adjust the system over WiFi using their iPad controller app, meaning you can change the color temperature and other settings.
To get an idea of the modularity of these lights, the color/light quality they produce, as well as how the iPad app works, check out the videos below:
- Factory Calibration: Light modules have been factory calibrated for uniform output and color precision.
- Embedded Technology: Each light module has a memory chip and a temperature sensor embedded for monitoring, identification and calibration purposes.
- Raw Processing Power: High color precision and flicker free dimming is made possible by microprocessor software and a unique hardware control system.
- Precision Dimming: 16-bit high precision dimming allows for billions of possible effective color combinations.
- Advanced Color Science: Constant color coordinates through the dimming range using high precision multi-dimensional LUTs.
- Advanced Thermal Management: Hybrid microprocessor controlled cooling solution using passive and active cooling for maximum efficiency.
- Modular Design: Paneling of lights and power supplies makes it easy to build higher output panels and custom solutions.
- Multipurpose: Ideal for high speed and HDRX applications. High color precision makes it possible to match almost any other light source.
- Software updates: Software based architecture allows for over-the-air software updates and updates with new features and effects.
- Upgradeable: The LED board inside the fixture is upgradeable, allowing for easy and affordable updates in the future.
- Super Luminous: Comparable output to 400W HMI or 1kW Tungsten from an extremely small 1.3kg/2.8lbs unit.
- Easy To Use: Intuitive and feature rich local controls. Auto configuring fixtures and power supplies. Hot plugging capabilities.
- Live monitoring: Real-time two-way communication with light module for health temperature and usage monitoring.
- iOS Controller: DS LED system features a wireless iOS control for single and multiple systems, giving you more flexibility.
- White balance control from 1500K up to 10,000K with option to change tint (+/- green)
- Full RGB control, with pure primary color rendering
- Optional Daylight LEDs for up to 40% increased output
- Range of soft boxes and grids available, user changeable lenses and diffusers (30 and 60 degrees)
- Up to 3 Lightheads per power supply
- Power draw up to 140 watts per Lighthead, 420 watts per power supply when using all the lights at full power
- 5m/15ft and 10m/30ft cables available
- World compatible power 90-260 VAC
- 0-100% dimming without flicker or color shift
- Controllable locally, over Wifi, over DMX or over wireless DMX
- Ambient temperature range 0˚F to 115˚F/ -20˚C to 45˚C
- Dimensions of Lighthead: 116 x 116mm/ 4 x 4 in square
- Weight of Lighthead: 1.3KG/2.8lbs
- Weight of Power Supply 3.5KG/7.7lbs
- 36 Months Worldwide Warranty
Today is the last day you can take advantage of the 50% discount on the DS LED system, which, with the discount, costs $4750. I can't see a whole lot of indie filmmakers being able to afford the set without the severe price drop (regularly $9500), so if you're interested in making a move, check out Digital Sputnik for more info.