November 28, 2014

A Sub $2K Gimbal Stabilizer for Your RED EPIC & BMCC: The Came-8000 is Now Available

If you don't have $3K to spend on the DJI Ronin, but want a gimbal stabilizer that is both versatile and can handle the larger RED and Blackmagic Cinema Cameras, then take a look at the Came-8000.

When DJI slashed the price of their highly anticipated Ronin gimbal from $4500 to $3000 for the month of November, this high quality stabilization technology finally found itself within the budgets of many indie filmmakers (at least compared to the $8000 MōVI). But, if that price was still making owning a gimbal impossible for you, Came-TV has a line of budget stabilizers that are similar to the ergonomics and technology of the Ronin, their Came-8000, 7800, and 7500.

The Came-8000 is now available for purchase, and now that it's available, filmmakers who work with larger cameras, like the BMPCC, Canon's C series, and RED EPIC, can now take advantage of Came-TV's low cost gimbal stabilizers. The Came-8000 supports up to about 11 lbs. and has the same functionality of its little brother, the Came-7800, as well as the DJI Ronin -- multiple operational modes (standard, upright, and briefcase).

Check out these videos to see what the Came-8000 can do.

Oddly enough, Came-TV doesn't provide many details about the Came-8000, however it was based on the 7800 and 7500. Knowing this, as well as what can be observed in demo videos, I think it's safe to assume that its features include:

• 3-axis gimbal stabilization
  • Multiple operational modes (standard, upright, and briefcase)
  • No assembly required
  • Supports many different cameras (BMCC, RED, etc.)
  • Supports up to 11 lbs.

You can now purchase a Came-8000 for $1980. To learn more, head on over to Came-TV's website

is that the kinemini dude from nab?

November 28, 2014 at 11:37PM, Edited November 28, 11:37PM

Yep, he works at hd videoshop

November 29, 2014 at 7:18AM

"...filmmakers who work with larger cameras, like the BMPCC, Canon's C series..." Did you mean BMCC instead of BMPCC?

November 29, 2014 at 4:01AM

GeoRover
Aspiring DoP

I wanted to share my thoughts: I own a chinese gimbal with Alexmos/Basecam controller for my Blackmagic Cinema Camera. I'd like to warn you that camera + carbon fiber gimbal + battery is a VERY HEAVY weight and mostly unusable for more then 5 minutes. For heavy camera users I would suggest to go lighter using BMPCC instead with a smaller gimbal.

November 29, 2014 at 6:05AM

I have to agree. We've got BeSteady One and running it with BMPCC and GH4. BeSteady limits you to 2kg and that's huge advantage. I went to test DJI gimbal and it was really heavy and no way you can use it for whole day unless you have few operators to carry it around. From the experience from few shoots already if you don;t want to break your back try to get as lightest rig as possible.

November 29, 2014 at 11:30AM

Lighter is def better. I go to the gym regularly 3 times a week, but when I shot with a Ronin & my 6D with a 50mm 1.4 for just three hours it was absolute torture.. For that reason I'm looking for a much lighter and also cheaper alternative. The Ronin is an exceptionally well built product but don't think you can use it for a whole day, you can't unless you are built like Arnie..

November 29, 2014 at 11:46AM

If you know you're going to be shooting with the Ronin and a heavier camera for extended periods, then it's probably a smart investment to get an ezyrig to go with it. It's not like steadycam operators are out there trying to hold the magic arm all day long, and that's essentially what stabilizers are looking to compete with.

Really depends on the scale and budget of your productions though. If your shooting content that mostly only requires a GH4 or BMPCC, then yeah, it's a cheaper option to run with them and a lighter stabilizer.

November 29, 2014 at 7:13PM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

Thanks for sharing. I was actually planning to rig it on my Steadicam Vest with Arm to avoid fatigue and additional stability for longer shots etc. Hope it works out as I think it would.

November 29, 2014 at 9:39PM

GeoRover
Aspiring DoP

The Ronin was and might still be on sale at BH. It was 500 $ off

November 29, 2014 at 8:01AM, Edited November 29, 8:01AM

Gareth Ng
Cinematographer

Looks intresting... :)

November 29, 2014 at 11:46AM

Waiting on our 7800 to get here next week... Gonna mount the Black Magic Pocket Cam, the 6D, 7D and GH4 on it.. trying to keep it as light as posibble.

November 29, 2014 at 12:47PM

Wentworth Kelly
DP/Colorist/Drone Op

The Gyro VU-S at 4.75 lbs. is the lightest gimbal that I've been able to find that can handle the BMCC plus accessories for a total of up to 8 lbs. It also features 360 degree slip connectors for continuous circle panning and it's bearings are separate from the motors which is what allows it to handle the heavy weights. It's is currently on sale for under $2,000 http://www.gyrovu.com/gyrovu-s/ I have ordered one for use with my BMCC, BMPCC and GH-4. Based on the opinions about the importance of reduced weight, I have a feeling the BMPCC will become the default camera for this rig. But it's nice to now, it can handle the heavier BMCC if needed.

November 29, 2014 at 1:25PM

Benton Collins
Camera aimer

The link to the Gyro VU-S page above lists the weight (5.45 lbs.) is for the PRO model, not the S model, which is listed at 4.75 lbs. in the specs when you go through the store port. I should also add that this is made in the USA and has local CA support.

November 29, 2014 at 1:38PM

Benton Collins
Camera aimer

I wish these people would get serious with their price points!

November 29, 2014 at 5:28PM, Edited November 29, 5:28PM

Jerry Roe
Indie filmmaker

hi I am planning to buy this as solution which come to my mind... Please suggest http://gremsy.com/en/
Gstabi H14 Gimble

November 30, 2014 at 8:03AM

Lucky Sidz
Director at www.rsproduction.com

Nice. gonna wait till next year when i get a new budget but very impressed.

December 1, 2014 at 4:43PM