January 26, 2015

The New ShotPro App Brings Incredible Pre-Visualization Power to Your iPad & iPhone

ShotPro Pre-Visualization App
Pre-visualization is one of the most important, albeit underrated steps in the filmmaking process.

It helps department heads get on the same page as one another, and it helps them to communicate complex technical ideas to their teams in a way that is uniquely visual. In essence, pre-vis is among the best methods for a group of filmmakers to carry out a unified vision of a piece. Unfortunately, outside of higher budget projects that can afford dedicated pre-vis artists, many filmmakers still resort to traditional hand-drawn storyboards and overheads. While there's nothing wrong with doing these things by hand, it is nothing if not incredibly time consuming, and it makes the process of sharing this work with collaborators more tedious than it needs to be.

ShotPro Pre-Visualization App Screenshot
That's where ShotPro comes into play. ShotPro is a pre-visualization app for the iPad and iPhone that is unlike any other on the market. In short, it brings the power of the complex 3D modeling softwares traditionally used for pre-vis work to your fingertips, and it simplifies the process of creating detailed compositions that you can then share with collaborators.

Our friend Matt Workman, a commercial cinematographer and pre-vis artist based in New York City (who also runs the excellent Cinematography Database website) recently put together a quick test run/review of ShotPro that shows off the power of this app to quickly and easily build detailed pre-vis animations that can then be shared with members of your crew. Check it out.

Here are the primary features of ShotPro:

• Blocking: A scene takes only a few seconds to block!  Building a virtual set has never been easier with intuitive multitouch controls. These controls allow for quick placement and detailed changes to cameras, props, lights and characters. Precisely block with the feet/meter grid system.
  • Lighting: Bring your set to life with dynamic lighting and shadows. Control ambient and production lighting variables such as color, brightness, position and even manipulate the sun.
  • Cameras: Control the camera by adjusting elevation, rotation, zoom, position and depth of field.  Add multiple cameras for each scene. Customize the camera’s lens from 20mm-350mm.
  • Characters: Casual, formal, medical, personal, police, prisoner, military, elderly, children and more! Characters can be customized with specific movements, facial expressions and loads of full body motions like walk, run, swim, etc.
  • Props: Ranging from plants, water, furniture, streets, vehicles, buildings, FX and many more. All positionable and keyframable.
  • Keyframing: Add movement to props, characters and cameras. Adjust your view to create dynamic 3D or 2D simulations to use as a blueprint on set. From simple to advanced point to point movements your scene will come alive in seconds.
  • Realtime Performance in 3D: All scene manipulation occurs in realtime. This includes camera feedback, project playback and scrubbing.
  • Exporting: Once all your scenes have been completed you can export them out in 60, 30 or 24fps in 1080, 720, 480 or 240 as a .mov file to email to clients, crew, cast or friends.
  • Share: Projects can be shared with others or saved for your own back up.

And here are a few basic tutorials on how to accomplish the various tasks listed above.

ShotPro comes in at a fairly reasonable price-tag of $30 and is currently available from the App Store.

Brilliant!

January 26, 2015 at 4:02PM

Caleb Rasak
Camera Operator / AC

Hoping it gets to android too

January 26, 2015 at 4:50PM, Edited January 26, 4:50PM

TAKE MY MONEY

January 26, 2015 at 8:31PM, Edited January 26, 8:31PM

Brooks Reynolds
Director/DOP

The cover photo looks like HogKong!

January 27, 2015 at 12:00AM

George Du
Student, Filmmaker

THIS. IS. AMAZING.

Been waiting for something like this for the longest time. Sold.

January 27, 2015 at 8:35AM

Robin Schmidt
Director

FINALLY!!!! :)

January 27, 2015 at 1:30PM, Edited January 27, 1:30PM

Anthony Haden Salerno
Writer/Director/Editor

Is it not available for desktop use? Would be so much better on my computer than my phone...

January 28, 2015 at 1:39AM, Edited January 28, 1:39AM

Ben Joyner
Director of Photography

awesome app though.. been waiting for a good pre-viz program to use.

January 28, 2015 at 1:40AM

Ben Joyner
Director of Photography

Very cool! I look forward to when they release a version I can use on my laptop.

January 28, 2015 at 1:49AM

Ghia Ransome
Creative Director | Producer | Writer

For Laptop/desktop, there is this: http://www.frameforge3d.com/
I wonder how they compare?

January 28, 2015 at 12:43PM, Edited January 28, 12:43PM

For the price and functionality I'm liking ShotPro. Frame Forges software starts at $399 and to looks like I will have to do ALOT of reading trying to figure out how it works.

January 29, 2015 at 12:29PM

Check out Iclone 6 (http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/) or Moviestorm (http://www.moviestorm.co.uk/). For a moodfilm, pitchvis and nontech-previs it is really the best software for directors and other non-animators. If you want to go technical with measurements, cameras and set dimensions then you need a previs artist who works in Maya. Check out these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7E3-m_FTOA , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY6MOAhQ71w .

January 28, 2015 at 5:17PM

luc bees

Thanks for bringing these to my attention, Luc. I've been a layman 3D animation fan, tinkering but never diving in because what I've really been in need of are programs like this one, since at heart I'm creating animatics and not animations. Awesome tip!

January 29, 2015 at 9:45AM

Anthony Haden Salerno
Writer/Director/Editor

I just bought it for my iPhone 6 (not the Plus), and it looks pretty good. I would suggest that if you're going to be doing a lot of work with you you use it on an iPad since the controls get pretty small on a phone, but it's still usable. Now I have an excuse to finally join the 21st Century and buy an iPad.

January 29, 2015 at 4:41PM

Just a quick update after an hour or so of use. It's pretty good although I'm still using it on an iPhone. I really haven't spotted any glaring problems, but right now all the documentation seems to be on the company's website, and what's there seems to be incomplete and sparse. Hopefully they'll flesh it out a bit.

One thing I'd like to see (probably others I haven't found yet) is the ability to specify sensor size and aperture to get a more accurate idea of the depth of field. I know that it won't be perfect, but it would get the pre-viz a bit closer, and for me, more useful.

The number one thing needed though is better documentation.

January 30, 2015 at 6:22PM

Day 2.5...

I've discovered a few other things about this that need some work.

1. It seems that walls can't be scaled to new sizes. I can butt two wall pieces together to make longer walls, but if I need something shorter than a single piece, it doesn't look like it's possible.

2. The walls and buildings have depth, and if they're rotated 180 degree-ish away from the camera the photo-based texture maps disappear, so all you get is an outline.

3. There doesn't seem to be any way to specify dimensions for anything - walls, buildings, roads, props. You can sort of specify location numerically, but only by finger-dragging. It would be nice to have the ability to type in numbers.

4. As I mentioned before, the documentation is lacking and apparently still a work-in-progress.

This has a lot of potential but I think it'll gain a lot of value once it hits Version 2.

January 31, 2015 at 5:50PM