April 13, 2015
NAB 2015

DJI Showcases the Ronin M Gimbal & the Phantom 3

DJI shows us their affordable gimbal system and the latest 4K-capable flying contraption.

Drones, drones drones! And 3-axis stabilized handheld gimbals. Check out the news from the floor at NAB.

Both versions of the Phantom 3, which also shoot 12 megapixel stills in .DNG RAW or .jpeg are shipping within the next few weeks.

DJI Phantom 3

Phantom 3 (Advanced):

• 1080p up to 60 FPS
  • $999

Phantom 3 (Professional):

• 4k up to 30 FPS
  • $1,259
Dji Ronin M

DJI Ronin M:

• 8 lb Payload
  • Weighs 5 lbs
  • Pricing TBD -- less than $2,000
  • Available late April

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

I like where they're going with all of this. I sincerely hope they release a camera-less Phantom 3 in the future. Those of us with GoPros will appreciate it.

The Ronin M is very promising. I still haven't seen a good, affordable solution for the focus problem. Single operators can't really adjust focus on the fly using these gimbals. Hopefully their follow focus opens some doors in that regard.

April 13, 2015 at 7:51PM

The ronin seems yummy

April 13, 2015 at 9:35PM

Edgar More
All

Just weighed my BMCC in it's cage with a speedbooster and the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 lens - 3.2KG, just under the weight limit of the Ronin M. I see my new favourite toy in the making! :D

April 14, 2015 at 4:13AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

I love the design. I love that the cross-bar handles can be removed. I love that it is auto-calibrating. I love that it still has a remote for a second operator to hand where the camera points. I love that it's tool-less like it's bigger brother. I love that it's 5 lbs
and can handle camera packages weighing up to 8 lbs.

I think I've found my next gimbal. Woo hoo.

April 14, 2015 at 4:22AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Enough with the Gopro-drone hype already! Please put some more decent camera's on your drone

April 14, 2015 at 4:56AM, Edited April 14, 4:56AM

Michiel Eskens
Director & Editor

The 4K footage I've seen from the Phantom 3 PRO model looks great. ( better than GoPro in my opinion )

If you want to mount something DSLR size on a quadcopter, you are looking at $8,000+ and up for the drone.

April 14, 2015 at 7:03PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Haha yeah.. BUT, I always advocate quality above quantity. People use drones in film because they CAN now, not because it adds value to the film. If it does add a certain value (narratively), better rent a $8K professional drone, than buy one with a GoPro mounted underneath. Just saying, cheap drones feel a little hobbyist to me :)

April 16, 2015 at 10:14AM

Michiel Eskens
Director & Editor

Seems a bit elitist. If you're talking to pro's then fine but for some people who just want to get their toes wet, these have a place. I'm not gonna rent a movi m10 to do a little move I can get close to with my merlin steadicam. Doesn't mean I shouldn't have the move in my shot. The best gear is the gear you have with you, which in most cases, is the gear you can afford.

April 16, 2015 at 5:59PM

True, still use my rebel t2i if needed; my point is why use a drone > it should match with your story, not be an cool asset

March 3, 2016 at 7:31AM, Edited March 3, 7:31AM

Michiel Eskens
Director & Editor

I'm still torn between the Ronin M and the Letus Helix Jr. or the Defy g2x

April 16, 2015 at 5:59PM, Edited April 16, 5:59PM

Pre-Orders your today from BH for $1400.

Awesome price! I am guessing DJI wants to take over the gimbal system market :)

April 28, 2015 at 3:43PM

Already want both :)

May 2, 2015 at 12:31PM

JamieL

Any reviews of the Ronin yet? Cause I've found one in-depth review of the DJI Phantom 3: http://djiphantom2vision-plus.com/dji-phantom-3-quadcopter-review/ but it seems nobody has written about Ronin so far...

May 3, 2015 at 2:01PM, Edited May 3, 2:02PM