April 24, 2015

Feast Your Eyes on Some Glorious New Aerial & Gimbal Footage from the ALEXA Mini

ARRI ALEXA Mini Drone Footage
ARRI's newest and smallest camera has taken flight, and the images are just as beautiful as you might imagine.

Traditionally, the ARRI ALEXA has been restricted to more traditional methods of camera movement due to its prohibitive size and weight. Earlier this year, however, ARRI announced the ALEXA Mini, a shrunken-down carbon fiber variation of their larger camera systems, with the intent to bring the world-renowned ALEXA image quality to a package small enough for today's high-end drone systems and handheld gimbal stabilizers. These two fantastic promotional videos show that they've done exactly that.

And here are the accompanying behind-the-scenes videos for each, which detail how the ALEXA Mini was used in ways that were previously impossible with older generations of the ALEXA.

If you'd like to learn more about the ALEXA Mini, check out our original posts on it from a few months back.

It'll be obsolete in 3 years... or less.

April 24, 2015 at 9:27PM, Edited April 24, 9:27PM

Tom Holton
UAS Specialist

Just like every other digital camera.

April 24, 2015 at 10:22PM

cole
doc director/shooter/editor

The BMCC can make the same picture.

April 25, 2015 at 12:06PM

Trollin

April 27, 2015 at 3:31PM

Max Ciesynski
Gaffer

Pretty amazing footage, that camera will be gold on drones and grips. Btw, anyone knows the song on "The Journey" video? Thanks.

April 24, 2015 at 10:36PM, Edited April 24, 10:36PM

Enrique Quiroga
Filmmaker/Post-Producer

A. Taylor - Oh My Soul from Music Bed

April 25, 2015 at 3:31PM

George Kasionis
Videographer

Thank you so much mate.

April 25, 2015 at 5:33PM

Enrique Quiroga
Filmmaker/Post-Producer

Awesome footage. So the Alexa Mini is 5 lbs with a PL lens mount, the Red Weapon magnesium version is 3.5 pounds for the brain, so adding the accessories to match the Alexa mini, the Red wouldn't weigh much more.

What am I missing? It just seems the Red Weapon is a better option overall? I await to be corrected.

April 25, 2015 at 12:43AM, Edited April 25, 12:43AM

So the weight of the weapon makes it a better camera?

April 25, 2015 at 3:19AM

Max Ciesynski
Gaffer

He's just in "that phase" - when you think RED is a top of the line camera. Give him time and like most people he'll finally realise that resolution isn't everything... :D

April 25, 2015 at 5:13AM

Michael Bialik
Sound Designer

Sorry if my question is annoying you guys and causing you to ridicule. I consider myself to be a reasonable person and I have a limited budget. I compare specs, sample footage, and feedback from users. After doing a quick comparison, I noticed the Red Weapon and Alexa Mini are roughly the same price which wasn't lining up with a lot of the research I've been doing, so I was hoping someone here could shed some light in what I may have overlooked. I want to thank you for any useful feedback in advance.

April 25, 2015 at 7:41PM

Sorry Bo, this site is full of armchair quarterbacks.

The Alexa is world-renowned for its color science. So much so that it makes up for it's other short comings. Red is known for its specs. Neither is the perfect camera for everything.

April 26, 2015 at 12:03AM

Jonesy Jones
Storymaker

Resolution AND better image is everything. A lot of people enjoy 2K and uprezzed UHD, that's fine. If Arri does this, it's "cinematic".

April 27, 2015 at 5:47AM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

"resolution isn't everything."

But it can sure save your ass when you can only get one master shot but need to spice it up with blow-ups and "camera moves" in post, to keep the viewer's attention.

May 2, 2015 at 6:49AM, Edited May 2, 6:50AM

David Gurney
DP

Sorry, I should have clarified further. The cost of the the Alexa Mini and the Red Weapon is comparable, they can be used for many of the same applications, yet the Red Weapon appears to be a more 'powerful' camera. The Red can, for the most part, do what the Alexa and Alexa mini can do all in one package. Whereas the Alexa mini is not quite there. I apologize in advance if I'm not making my point clear, I can state the same argument in multiple paragraphs to better explain but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

On a different note, I love the Alexa Mini, great innovation from Arri. Definitely a step in the right direction.

April 25, 2015 at 7:31PM, Edited April 25, 7:31PM

Can't say I'm gonna sell the BMPCC to run out and buy the Mini, but it looks nice.

Love the human dolly on ice.

April 25, 2015 at 3:17AM, Edited April 25, 3:17AM

Charlie K

The BMCC is the best camera by Blackmagic. They have not made something better yet.

April 25, 2015 at 12:06PM, Edited April 25, 12:07PM

Nice footage, no doubt, but my goodness, the narration? i feel like we have heard these kinds of meaningless words a thousand times before. need some originality! No offense intended, just my observation!
-Pete

April 25, 2015 at 3:55AM

agreed I usually end up turning off the sound on these camera tests

April 25, 2015 at 5:22AM

matt

Agreed, unbearable narration, in an unbearable tenor of false gravitas. Turned it off after three sentences.

April 25, 2015 at 7:38AM

Sure but if it had been Morgan Freeman instead of a random 30-year-old white guy, it would seem magical.

April 25, 2015 at 1:18PM

Cameras are just brushes - just tools. It really depends on the painter. Go back to ebay and get a used older camera and you can make it look just as good or even better. Or find a more creative way to shoot from, another angle to tell the story vs what I am guilty of - following everyone elses trends - drone, movi, steadicam, etc.

what about a macro shot of his hands landing then pulling out revealing where he is - or straight overhead him - a rig attached to him as he does a somersault or macro slow mo of ice as it cracks - or from overhead.

or flip the camera with him since it's so lightweight

or who knows what other interesting movements to capture the trainer

I need to think more about how I could have shot the video differently.

and agreed, the whole VO movement instead of a talking head interview is the newest trend as well.

I wish more would get creative - especially when showing off a new camera.
I need to take my own advice.

April 25, 2015 at 7:36AM

Ed David
Director of Photography

Imagine going out with the Canon XC10 and making footage like this. That would show them!

April 25, 2015 at 12:08PM, Edited April 25, 12:08PM

I accept your challenge except do it better with more creative angles and movement. I mean, the beauty David Lynch got out of the Sony PD150 is mind-blowing. Also Julien Donkey Boy looked so beautiful - shot on some consumer camera I think. I am going on ebay asap.

April 25, 2015 at 7:31PM

Ed David
Director of Photography

Now comes the fact that one of us needs to fork out 2500 USD for the xc10, I am a gentleman so I'll let you buy it first my friend Ed.

April 26, 2015 at 12:42AM, Edited April 26, 12:42AM

I think ARRI must be worried with the appearance of the Blackmagic Micro Camera... 36000$ vs 995$...
The choice right now for me is obvious either renting or getting a new one... So ARRI is incredibly overpriced but amazing products and Blackmagic is like heaven democratized quality...

April 26, 2015 at 4:49AM, Edited April 26, 4:49AM

Chema Mumford
Filmmaker, Documentary, Cinematographer

Not the same target group Chema.

April 26, 2015 at 9:42AM

It's been said countless times here on NFS and elsewhere... I don't think Arri is worried very much about anything. Especially, a camera from Black Magic.

And while I'm at it, I'm not saying the Black Magic cameras don't make nice pictures, they do but, you guys making statements like, "the BMCC can make pictures just as good as the Alexa", should realize your credibility, as a professional, takes a huge nosedive when you do.

April 27, 2015 at 9:47AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

Simpily amazing!

April 26, 2015 at 12:39PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Yes! At last. Somebody who can just enjoy this amazing footage! So tired of peoples talking about specs over image quality... Money. This look great. Period

April 26, 2015 at 2:54PM

Alexis Marcoux
Director of photography

I was wondering why couldn’t you use Aelxa Mini as a main Camera especially if you are shooting low budget film, since the specs are same as the big brother ALEXA.

I am saying this cause in one of the interview by Dan Chung @ Newsshooter.com the Arri Rep, said it's not designed to be main camera and it shouldn’t. It can’t hold big lens, but do you really need big heavy lens? Can’t Regular CP Prime lens 50mm and 35mm work just fine? Can any one please explain?
Please be kind total newbie here.

April 27, 2015 at 4:16PM

kevinlee
Student

Nice aerials.

April 27, 2015 at 5:01PM, Edited April 27, 5:01PM

J. Fandino
Drone sales at www.providentialsystems.com

What Gimbal system are they using?

April 28, 2015 at 1:42PM

About drones but off topic, I was talking to a local farmer here in not so sunny Hertfordshire and he showed me his drone, pretty much like the ones used for filming. One thing he can do is make a 3D scan of a field. Crops are at a different height to weeds so the data fed back directly to his robot tractor allows it to drive to the field and spray weedkiller exactly in the right place.

All well and good until the robots do a silicon Animal Farm and overthrow their meat based overlord.

April 28, 2015 at 4:48PM