August 19, 2015

7 Free LUTs Based on Iconic Movies, Plus How to Customize Them for Your Needs

If you're looking for a LUT that re-creates the look of an iconic film, SmallHD has a gift for you.

The company announced yesterday that it has created a pack of seven LUTs based on films with distinctively memorable color grades, and that the pack is free for anybody who wants to download it. In addition, SmallHD released several tutorials showing how to use the LUTs both in a monitoring workflow (on their newly-released 502 monitor, of course) and how to apply and customize the files in DaVinci Resolve.

First up, here are the looks included in the pack, including the delightful names which definitely don't violate copyright.

SmallHD LUTs Based On Iconic Movies

Here's the introduction video which explains what LUTs are and why they're useful.

And here are the tutorials which show you how to load these LUTs onto the SmallHD 502 monitor and how to apply and manipulate them in DaVinci Resolve

If you're interested in downloading these, head over to this page on the SmallHD site and click the bright green button.

Moonrise and Life Giving Tree are my favorites.

August 19, 2015 at 2:16PM, Edited August 19, 2:16PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

Life Giving Tree is my favorite.

August 19, 2015 at 2:17PM

Cathy Danneberg
Filmmaker, Editor, Designer, VFX

SO AWESOME! I just saw these in my inbox this morning. Thanks for all this great info about them.

August 19, 2015 at 2:33PM, Edited August 19, 2:33PM

Bryan Tosh
Director of Photography

What is Bob Ford?

August 19, 2015 at 3:52PM, Edited August 19, 3:52PM

Assasination of Jesse James

August 19, 2015 at 4:38PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

A lit of these are very colorful. Wish they had something as subtle as The Walking Dad's color.

August 19, 2015 at 4:58PM

Vincent Gortho
none

You can always dial back the intensity of the LUT. You can even separate the LUT by chrominance and luminance if you want fairly easily if you like the tonality but not the color.

August 19, 2015 at 5:26PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

Also, "The Walking Dad" is probably one of the funnier typos I've read.

August 19, 2015 at 7:16PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

Wow, this is awesome. I'm really liking the look of "Giving Tree." I recently purchased a bunch from James Miller and really happy with his Deluts. Thank you for posting the free LUTS!

August 19, 2015 at 8:53PM, Edited August 19, 8:53PM

Alex Vo
Cinematographer / Director

I agree about "Giving Tree". Having complained about many LUTs having too much colour for me in Resolve, this one might well be a keeper.

August 20, 2015 at 5:14PM

Julian Richards
Film Warlord

$1,199 seems expensive for a 5" monitor. Can someone recommend something cheaper with similar features like LUT control.

August 20, 2015 at 9:02AM

COYCO
Director of Photography

Good luck finding a good one. To my knowledge and bit of googling SmallHD monitors are the ONLY good affordable option right now as far as LUT support. $899 plus any extras is actually really reasonable! LUT support is very processor intensive and monitors that had this feature were very expensive compared to this. Maybe next year budget filmmaking companies like Aputure will come out with LUT support monitor.

I understand $899-$1,199 seems expensive, but it is very reasonable. Certain items in filmmaking you can find cheaper but most often you are better off buying good tools like this. You buy good tools you won't have to replace them for years or your entire career. I think people forget or don't know filmmaking is an expensive career to get into.

August 20, 2015 at 11:58AM

Joseph Lindsay
Director of Photography/Motion Designer

It's well worth it FWIW. Super light and damn near retina like display. Best panel I've ever seen for a 5" monitor.

August 20, 2015 at 1:26PM

All those LUTs look horrible to me.
I actually think the original image is the best looking one and would require some minor adjustments, but really all the others are so over the top.

August 21, 2015 at 7:33AM, Edited August 21, 7:36AM

I second that.

The best one is the ungraded one; all the others are either unnatural, just plain ugly or both.

I don't see the point in using DaVinci if you're going to end up burning your footage with crappy filters.

August 25, 2015 at 9:41PM