September 17, 2015
IBC 2015

New to Premiere Pro: HDR Workflows, Optical Time Remapping, & H.265 Support

Premiere Pro Update IBC 2015
Adobe's next release of Premiere Pro CC isn't as flashy as the one announced at NAB 2015, but it includes some important new features nonetheless.

Chief among these new features are high dynamic range workflows, which are going to be the next big thing as our monitors and projection systems progress to the point where they can properly display the full dynamic range captured by today's cameras. Adobe is getting ahead of this trend by incorporating HDR tools into their Lumetri color panel. Here's a brief look at what these tools consist of, and how you can use them to manipulate HDR images more accurately:

Another interesting inclusion is optical time remapping, which allows for significantly smoother slow motion and ramping effects when you're working with footage shot at regular frame rates. It's definitely more intensive on your GPU than Adobe's traditional frame blending, but the results are far superior.

Additionally, Premiere Pro will soon support a variety of touch gestures, which should make working with the software on devices like the Windows Surface Pro and other Windows 8 touch screen devices much more manageable.

Last, but definitely not least, Premiere will soon offer native support for DNxHR and H.265 media, which is excellent news for those folks shooting on the Samsung NX1.

No word yet on when these updates will make their way to Creative Cloud subscribers, but my guess is that they will be released in the wake of Adobe's MAX conference later this month, or sometime in October.

I use FCPX everyday and I love it. AP looks like it always has amazing updates and cool features. I was thinking about making the switch for $50 a month however I love FCPX, Motion, and Mobject. Is it really worth it to make the switch to AP and AE? I just bought a red dragon this week. I use resolve to color all projects. Any advice on the NLE situation?

September 17, 2015 at 11:40AM, Edited September 17, 11:40AM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Use whatever you're comfortable with. They all do the same things for the most part.

Try the demo because Premiere looks and works differently than FCPX.

September 17, 2015 at 11:55AM

Hey Kyle -- I use the Adobe creative suite pretty much exclusively, and I generally really enjoy it. Being able to round-trip projects from Premiere to After Effects to Audition and back again is super handy. The one downside I've seen is that Adobe seems to roll out new updates before they're entirely baked, but if you wait a couple weeks for updates to "settle", it's not too bad.

All that being said, though, I think you can do a 30-day trial of Adobe CC for free, and go month-by-month after that, so why not try it out for a month or two before you commit? You could always go back to your current workflow if Adobe CC doesn't work out...

September 17, 2015 at 12:00PM

Bryan Howell
Screenwriter, corporate videographer, and indie filmmaker

You would move if you use a lot of Photoshop and After Effects in your workflow. With the new features coming on a daily it becomes really difficult to resist. However its all about preference in the end.

September 17, 2015 at 12:00PM

Joel
Freelance. Vidoegrapher

I personally use FCPX. I tried Adobe, but I think on FCPX u can get stuff done faster. Everything is faster on FCPX - editing, rendering. Only thing which sucks is audio support, besides that I think new FCPX is the best editing program for 95% of projects. I would only edit feature films on Avid, but besides that - FCPX is the way to go imo. After Effects on the other hand is much better than Motion & u should try it.

September 17, 2015 at 12:14PM

Andy Tokarski
Director, Editor, Colorist

Motion (as its name implies) is primarily a motion-graphics tool. For that, it is much better than After Effects. If you need to create a broadcast-style package quickly or put a polished look on something, Motion is the tool.

September 24, 2015 at 10:58PM

David Gurney
DP

Is the optical flow time remapping similar to what Twixtor does? Or is it simply just altering the way it blends frames?

September 17, 2015 at 12:15PM, Edited September 17, 12:15PM

Similar to Twixtor

September 17, 2015 at 12:34PM

Exactly like FCPX, they even called it Optical Flow which is kind of odd.

September 17, 2015 at 1:29PM

Brad Jones
Director/Producer/Writer/Editor

It's not odd once you know that optical flow is a process, not a "FCP" invention.

Funny how Apple users think Apple has invented everything...

September 20, 2015 at 4:43PM

That's the common term for this type of algorithm.

September 24, 2015 at 11:00PM

David Gurney
DP

I use both X and Premiere at work. I prefer X for most things as it is faster and more stable than Premiere in general but Premiere keeps adding new features that make it hard to compete with. Since you like to color time in Resolve I would stick with X as the round trip between X and Resolve is much better than premiere. Premiere has Lumetri though which is a pretty great new feature (Not as powerful as Resolve though).

September 17, 2015 at 1:24PM, Edited September 17, 1:24PM

Brad Jones
Director/Producer/Writer/Editor

The updates coming to Audition look really great. Lots of utility.

Particularly, if it works, the "remix" tool. I'm certain I'm not the only editor out there who has spent plenty of time making songs longer or shorter. If this could be automated, that would be amazing!

September 17, 2015 at 1:59PM

David S.

Indeed!
I also almost always rearrange the musicto make it fit the arc, drama and length of the video.

September 17, 2015 at 2:19PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Absolutely! I talked to Durin Gleaves at IBC and he said it should work with all kinds of music except Led Zeppelin and Rush, lol: https://youtu.be/WiL6n1BpPx8
They also had a live demo going on and it worked flawlessly. So I'm confident that this is going to be a huge timesaver.

September 18, 2015 at 1:40PM, Edited September 18, 1:40PM

Manuel Imboden
Producer

Has anyone else run into issues with Lumetri where the render times are crazy long... especially when compared to using Colorista or other 3rd party plugins. I'm working with 48GB's of Ram, on a Mac Pro Quad, but Lumetri just jams it up... not sure if that's an issue for anyone else. The times I have played with Lumetri has been great, but I usually abandon it for something with a quicker render.

September 18, 2015 at 9:30AM

Scott Douglas
Preditor

I may be in the minority, but personally I have found that the yearly release model of Adobe's Creative Cloud has been detrimental to the stability of Premiere. Forcing their programmers to rush products to market and constantly focus on releasing new versions every year, with more and more new features, as opposed to focusing on stability and updates has really made working in Premiere risky for my work. CS6 and the CC 2013 were very good programs. However, in my experience, since 2014 Premiere has been the most unreliable application of all my apps on 3 of my computers. It is riddled with quirky bugs that have made working in large, complex projects with 4k files a nightmare. Photoshop, After Effects, and all the other Adobe products seem to be very solid on my systems, just not Premiere. I experience random issues, corrupted files, and a constant loss of control of the sequence window requiring me to restart the program all the time. I am going to give Adobe one more shot and try running it on a brand new Mac Pro with the hopes that all these bugs magically vanish. But currently, I've had these issues happen on my top of the line iMac and two Macbook Pros. If these problems aren't cleared up soon, I'll be moving to either Avid, BlackMagic or FCP.

September 18, 2015 at 10:50AM, Edited September 18, 10:51AM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

I completely agree. I actually wish they'd stop adding features and just sort out the stability (I'm using a new mac pro by the way, so I don't think an upgrade will fix your problems I'm afraid!). I've had to stop using premier - its all a bit pointless having tons of features when basic functions like "play" and "export" often fail and am now a very happy fcpx user (which kinda surprised me to be honest). I contacted adobe to cancel my membership and they gave me a discount on my subscription so I'll give it another year (I'll still use AE and photoshop and other programs anyway) but I'll probably be looking at alternatives for all those in the next 12 months.

September 20, 2015 at 12:39PM

Mark Relf
Director, Editor

There's a known issue with macs using CUDA. Basically CUDA doesn't work and Adobe don't seem to care. It's been like this for about 2 years. At this point it's probably a trading standards legal issue. Adobe advertised CUDA as a selling point for Premiere.
The current workaround is to use Open CL only.

October 16, 2015 at 2:41PM

Rent software? Nope. Especially when ridiculous defects remain in Adobe products year after year after year, in fundamental functions. Instead of fixing them, Adobe throws a bunch of gimmicks into the products that don't work for anything practical.

September 24, 2015 at 11:02PM, Edited September 24, 11:13PM