Sony has just announced the PXW-FS5, a new 4K cinema camera that will slot in between the FS7 and the FS700.
[This post will be updated frequently]
This camera is amazingly small, and apparently uses a similar sensor as the other cinema cameras in the under-$10,000 range, so you can expect similar quality. The new FS5 is going to come in at $5,600 for the body only, and $6,100 with an 18-105mm f/4 lens.
The LCD is detachable, and can be mounted in a number of places, and the camera comes with a smart grip. The camera will only be able to shoot UHD 3840 x 2160 out of the box, though apparently DCI 4K and 4K RAW will come in a later firmware update. The one positive with this model though is the fact that Sony has chosen to go with industry-standard SD card slots.
Since the native ISO is apparently 3200 (which is similar to the a7S shooting S-Log), having a much more powerful ND filter is very necessary, and you'll be able to have much finer controls with a built-in electronic variable ND filter that's capable of 7 stops (ND 2.1). There will also be a manual ND filter with options of clear, 1/4, 1/16, and 1/64.
News Shooter posted this terrific video with Sony Product Manager Juan Martinez that gives a complete overview of the camera:
Sample 4K Footage:
Here are the specs (you can read more about the camera here):
- 4K Super35mm EXMOR sensor — 4352 x 2662, 11.6 Megapixels (8.4 Megapixels Effective)
- Native E-Mount
- Native 3,200 ISO, Goes up to 32,000 ISO
- 14 Stops of Dynamic Range
- Manual ND Filter: OFF: CLEAR, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Built-in Electric Variable ND from 1/4ND to 1/128ND
- S-Log2 and S-Log3
- On-board XAVC-L recording
- 3840 x 2160 8-bit, 4:2:0, up to 30fps continuous.
- 1080 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60fps continuous & 120, 240, 480, 960 fps buffered.
- Less than 5 sec boot time, Direct Access Menu, No rebooting for Rec format changes, etc., 2K Center Crop
- OLED Viewfinder: Approx. 1.44M dots
- 3.5" LCD: 1.56M dots
- Magnesium frame & body with active cooling
- 4K 4096x2160 output capable with paid future firmware upgrade
- 4K RAW in Future Firmware
- Dual SD Card Slots, Can Record Proxies
- 3G-SDI, 4K HDMI, WiFi, Wired LAN, 2 XLR, Built-in Mic
- 2X Digital Zoom in HD, 1.5x in UHD and 2K Center Crop for Super 16mm Lenses
- Same batteries as FS7
- Weight: Just under 2 pounds, Under 5 Pounds with everything
- Availability: November 2015
- List Price: $5,600 without lens, $6,100 with 18-105mm f/4
Some High Frame Rate sample videos:
Here is a closer look at the frame rates and resolutions:
And interview with Den Lennie about the camera:
A better look at the buttons on the camera:
And a look at the size compared to the FS7:
Here is the camera with the optional extension arm:
You can pre-order this camera right now from B&H.