November 29, 2015

Download Over 100 Free, Legal Screenplays!

A Serious Man
Scripts. Everyone loves them, and today, we're giving you 100s of them, all free, and all legal.

Time was, it was difficult for anyone outside of Hollywood to lay their hands on legit screenplays; then, with the birth of the internet, scripts were everywhere, but with the proliferation of screenplays came an equal divergence in quality: some were just plain inaccurate, while others were early drafts that were discarded long before cameras started rolling. We've featured tons of screenplays here before, but this is a real embarrassment of riches, courtesy of Go Into The Story

The best way to learn how to write a script is to read as many scripts as you can, in as many formats as you can. As a beginning screenwriter, odds are you're going to be writing a lot of spec scripts (short for "speculation," or, in other words, free); if the spec script is sold, and manages to make it to production, then you'll end up with a shooting script (which has been broken down by the script supervisor) and feature lots of details like CUT TO:, POV, and CAMERA ANGLES. This is the draft the crew uses to make the movie. You'll find both types in this collection, and this guide from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences should be helpful.

Happy reading!

A Serious Man is the first one I'm gonna get! What a great fucking movie.

November 29, 2015 at 10:49AM, Edited November 29, 10:51AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

Thanks a lot, for passing on such a diversified collection. Much appreciated.

November 29, 2015 at 12:36PM, Edited November 29, 12:36PM

Tanay Chaudhari
Film Appreciation, Reviewing, Screenwriting (in that order)

Shooting scripts are indeed helpful, but I'd love to get my hands on a few spec scripts. The earlier the drafts the better. The few specs I've found offer invaluable insight into the guts of the craft itself. Comparing early drafts to later is fascinating; it's helped me immensely with my own work. I don't suppose anyone knows of a resource/site that perhaps specializes in recovering and archiving the earlier drafts and specs for known films?

November 29, 2015 at 1:16PM

TR Lawrence
Screenwriter

Oh there's tons of specs there. As to your other question, that sounds like a good idea for a business that I don't think exists yet.

November 29, 2015 at 10:11PM

Justin Morrow
Writer
Writer/Director

Wow, this is great!! Very interesting.

November 29, 2015 at 2:34PM

Ethan Swords
Cinematographer/Editor & Owner of Cinematic Technologies

It seems that a lot of the scripts floating around the web, including these ones, are shooting scripts. I'm equally interested in the spec scripts and other versions of the script in order to compare the differences between what they started with and what ended up on the screen. Do you know where these can be found? Are the any films in which we have all versions of a script? Thanks!

November 30, 2015 at 7:03AM, Edited November 30, 7:03AM

This is awesome. Thank you so much!

November 30, 2015 at 12:28PM

Sean Voysey
Creative Director

If you want to download all scripts with one click there's an add-on for firefox "DownThemAll!". I have nothing to do with it but it suits this article so good that I need to share it. :)

December 1, 2015 at 2:44PM

Dean

I would love to see a competition in Hollywood where two or three versions of a film are released using the same script. It would be awesome to see different takes on the story by different directors, not remakes, but multiple films shot and released at the same time.

December 4, 2015 at 11:10PM