Sony Releases Firmware 1.11 for the FS5, Fixing Some Ugly Codec Issues

The Sony FS5 has been out and about for some time now, but image issues have been cropping up for some users.

In the new v1.11 firmware released today, Sony seems to have fixed these problems. While they addressed a major issue related to monitoring in the last firmware, this particular update is fixing a smaller problem that's related to the implementation of the XAVC codec. Instances of both macro blocking and tearing were cropping up, and the engineers over at Sony have managed to erase the problems by slightly modifying how the codec was responding with their image processing.

cinema5D recently posted this video showing the improvements:

The only thing listed in their notes on this firmware is this:

1.) Image quality improvement regarding XAVC recording.

Obviously we know it's a little more complicated than the basic sentence above, but thankfully we've got video proof to show us exactly what the issue was, and how it's been addressed. This camera has a few quirks, but as a more budget cinema camera solution, it ticks off a lot of boxes, so hopefully Sony can continue to improve it with firmware updates.

To download v1.11, head on over to the links below.

My life is better now! That's the one we were expecting!

February 26, 2016 at 5:49AM

Filipe Correia
Director | DOP | Producer | Editor

I'm seriously considering buying one of these in a few weeks, paired with a A7SII, for corporate gigs. Especially once the Raw update happens, it's truly a cool little camera.

February 26, 2016 at 7:11AM, Edited February 26, 7:11AM

Patrick Ortman
I tell stories. Sometimes for money.

That's more or less the combo I have (but an A7Rii instead of an A7Sii) and I love it. They make a great team.

February 26, 2016 at 8:57AM, Edited February 26, 8:57AM

Erik Hecht
Director of Photography

Ive used the fs7 on quite a few projects now and think it is a highly capable camera, one thing has always bugged me about it though, and thats the exposure tools (or lack there of) available in cine EI mode. The only thing here i have to judge exposure is 2 zebra levels. Firstly, how can anyone even judge where midtone and shadow values are sitting when all you get is highlight value???? This brings me to point of this post, I used the fs5 recently and discovered that Sony hasn't even provided a way to switch zebras on and off without going into a menu. I tried to assign buttons to toggle some functions like peaking and zebras, but found this wasn't possible. At least the fs7 has these buttons on the viewfinder. My question is, how can users of the fs5 have any clue of their exposure values with such a lack tools available, that is without going into a menu every time to turn on and off the most basic functions. For a so called run and gun camera this seems like a seriously lacking function.

February 26, 2016 at 12:40PM

Nathan T
DP

FS5 owner here. This information is incorrect—you absolutely can assign zebras and peaking to buttons to turn on and off. I've done it. It works fine.

February 26, 2016 at 2:31PM

David S.

Thanks for the info. I tried to do it with the day i spent using it and couldn't work out how to do it. Good to know its possible, thanks for the info. Maybe sony can work on some other exposure info like false colour perhaps.....

February 26, 2016 at 3:42PM

Nathan T
DP

Nathan - totally agree. Or waveform! I don't get why they save stuff like that for more expensive cameras.

February 26, 2016 at 5:39PM

David S.

While digging through the manual for the F5 today I found out that you need the ~$5K OLED viewfinder if you want the luxury of false color on is camera. I should be happy that the "peasant edition" (~$3K VF) I have is willing to show me scopes (under certain circumstances). :)

February 26, 2016 at 5:57PM

Note FW 3.0 for FS7 adds ability to see waveform and a LUT in Cine EI and still record the "native" slog to the card. This is new.

February 28, 2016 at 9:20AM

Paul Antico
Producer

Hello all,
Hi David,
1- How can i Recording 4K on FS5,Will i need to special SD Card or i Can Record with normal Card??
2- why i dont have 4K i Have just 2160/60P 100Mb with XAVC??
3- what the best number of Shutter Speed for Slow Motion 200fps??
Regards
Ramzi

February 26, 2016 at 4:51PM

Ramzi Alkaysi
Director of Photography

Hey Ramzi.

1 You need SDXC cards. SDHC cards will not work.

2 I'm not sure I understand your second question, but you cannot record 2160 in 60p, it's capped at 30p.

3 Ideally, it would be around 1/400, but with the FS5 I haven't figured out how to dial in shutter speed in the slow motion mode.

February 26, 2016 at 5:44PM

David S.

You just dial in shutter speed before you hit S&Q button. Works for me:)

February 27, 2016 at 9:51AM

Thanks Sasha. I'll give that a shot.

February 27, 2016 at 12:13PM

David S.

You'll want to get the Sandisk Extreme Pro line of SD cards. We've recorded numerous interviews in 4k for 30-40min non-stop, with no issues.

February 27, 2016 at 7:04AM

Josh.R
Motion Designer/Predator

Also the PNY 256GB UHS-3 cards work great. I got them for under $65 each at amazon. One card in FS5 will last over 5 hours in 4K.

February 28, 2016 at 9:21AM

Paul Antico
Producer

2160p = 2x 1080p, hence it is either 4K (4096x2160) or UHD (3840x2160).

February 28, 2016 at 1:48PM, Edited February 28, 1:48PM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Thanks. I know the difference. UHD is considered 16:9 4K. It's the same class. DCI 4K is 4096. Both are 2160p. It's the same thing except one has a slightly wider aspect ratio.

March 6, 2016 at 11:13AM