April 18, 2016
NAB 2016

Atomos Updates Their Recorders to HDR (For Free) and Introduces the 1500nit 10-bit Shogun Inferno

Atomos empowering their current units with HDR capability and bringing the next unit in the Shogun lineage.

The Atomos Samurai Blade, Ninja Blade, Shogun and Ninja Assassin are receiving the free firmware treatment with a new operating system called AtomHDR scheduled for release in May. Atomos also adds the Shogun Inferno to their line of monitor / recorders. Inferno has all the features of the previous Flame, but adds some key things for video professionals like high frame-rate recording and quad SDI connections.

Atomos are also adding ST2084 PQ in/out for HDR & new WFM guides to the Shogun Flame & Ninja Flame with a new 7.1 OS. To support all this new HDR tech, they've got a new line of coiled 4k 60p HDMI cables with HDMI 2.0 speed and integration with the popular X-Rite i1Display Pro to help combat color drift.

Atomos HDMI 2.0 Coiled Cable

Atomos Shogun Inferno — $1,995

• High quality 4K 60p and HD 240p ProRes and DNxHR recording (from either a video or Raw signal)
  • 10-bit monitor (minimizes color banding)
  • 7” 1500nit brightness; For Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) shooting ramp the brightness slider up to 1500 nit for hood-free outdoor monitoring.
  • Raw to Raw CDNG recording up to 4K DCI/UHD 30p or 2K/HD 120p.
  • Quad SDI lets you input from cameras with 1.5/3/6/12G SDI outputs without converters.
  • AtomHDR; AtomHDR lets you shoot with the high brightness range of your camera’s Log profile and preview the final, vibrant post production HDR result.
  • 4K 60p; Record and play out pristine ProRes / DNxHR in 4K resolution and 24/25/30/50/60p frame rates.
  • Raw recording from Sony FS7/ FS700 and Canon C300MKII/C500 over SDI (ProRes, DNxHR or CDNG)
  • Apple ProRes & AVID DNxHR recording; Record to visually lossless Apple ProRes or AVID DNxHD in Rec709 or Log formats as an edit friendly, visually lossless industry benchmark independent of the camera brand used.
  • PQ in/out; Take PQ out into larger HDR compatible screens or feed HDR from your NLE into the PQ input for HDR grading using the Inferno.
  • PQ (ST-2084) input that allows you to use Inferno as a grading monitor in Post.
  • PQ (ST-2084) output standard HDR to compatible TVs and monitors.
  • 3D LUT’s (.cube) viewable in full or half mode (output it to a monitor or record into the footage
  • Continuous power (when one battery dies it automatically goes to the next)
  • Shipping now
    Shogun Inferno Playback

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

Micah is such an enthusiastic interviewer.

April 18, 2016 at 3:34PM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

Micah, what are those wrist garments you are wearing? What is their purpose and where can I get those? What is their function? It looks like they would keep your wrists warm? I'm being dead serious btw. Thanks!

April 18, 2016 at 10:10PM

Darren Orange
Director/Producer

I think it's great they are adding HDR to their older units. We recently purchased a Ninja Blade to use primarily for it's waveform monitor on our 1DC, but it's nice to know it will soon be capable of their HDR display.

April 19, 2016 at 7:39AM, Edited April 19, 7:39AM

Craig Meadows
President/Owner - Florida Production Group, Inc.

Whats your thoughts on using ninja blade HDR with GH4 v-log?

April 19, 2016 at 8:32AM

I dont understand. Is the HDR slider on their devices actually changing the recorded exposure on the image? Or is it just for viewing purposes to nail exposure?

April 19, 2016 at 9:00AM

You voted '+1'.
Caleb Rasak
Camera Operator / AC

Its only for viewing purposes. But it does seem kinda weird to me since the HDR function cant be applied to the footage, you have to be a badass colorist to duplicate in post what your seeing on your screen.

April 19, 2016 at 11:10AM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

you're

April 19, 2016 at 3:21PM

David Gurney
DP

Is DNG considered capable of HDR? Without EXR or some similar file format, I wonder how this thing is supposedly recording HDR.

April 19, 2016 at 3:22PM

David Gurney
DP

Hello guys,
I want to share with you our last development, you can check the video we used a Sony a6300 in this Hands On.

New video Hands by Alex about T E O

Whats TEO ? An All In One 5.7" device produced by Cinemartin:

+++ QHD monitor (2560×1440 in 5.69") <– this resolution is no achieved by any other monitor/video company at this size
It have some assist tools (you can check on this video) and more that will come

+++ As a Uncompressed 4K 444 10 bit recorder with a bandwidth of 1.2GBps <– no other company achieved this
It have also a built in transcoder to give your recordings in either Prores or HEVC H265 <– in H265 Im not aware of any other competence

+++ As a recorder for other cameras, as can record from usb cameras and gigaethernet cameras

+++ As a Live Straming device (check the video for a demo) so you can live stream what you see on the screen <– Im not aware except teradek, but hey you can even share not only the video input, also the premiere timeline, resolve palette etc..

+++ As a computer
It have 16GB by default with 500GB this model, can go up to 2TB built in. It can run also hackintosh.

It consumes low and it price is low.

April 22, 2016 at 8:11AM

Tony

Yeah, wonderful, and thus began the backlash.
Atomos Shogun owners (inc me) have been venting their disappointment on the Atomos facebook page, we've been waiting on the CineDNG Raw support since the product launched two yeas ago, and what was due in firmware updates in Q3 last year, will now not be available until "A month after the release of the Inferno" in Q3 2016.

HDR is a convenience that make Directors easier to please on set with brighter screens and LUT display.

CineDNG Raw improves the final product display after editing and grading.

As you can imagine, Shogun owners are unimpressed with the delay to CineDNG Raw recording.

Edit: The backlash is on the FB page, as Atomos has locked and and is shutting down their user forum.

April 22, 2016 at 10:48PM, Edited April 22, 10:50PM

Stewart Fairweather
Cinematographer

I am currently shooting on 2 BMPCCs and a GH4 and am seriously interested in purchasing a monitor with professional scopes (RGB parade and a waveform). I want a bright screen that I can use with my gimbal and alsowhen I am locked down shooting interviews and B-Roll. The ability to load custom luts and also puncing in while recording in order to nail focus and color are important to me. I realize that if I am going to spend upward of $1,000 on a professional monitor it may as well be a 4k recorder as well to ensure future value. I think my next camera may be a Sony and at the moment I am leaning toward picking up a used FS700 instead of the FS5, A7rii or A7sii. I would like to invest in either the Shogun Inferno or the Odyssey 7Q+ to learn the ins and outs of the recorder/monitor while using it with my current cameras. Sometime in the next 18 months I will be ready to purchase a new camera and Sony will either have released a new camera that meets all of my desires or the price on the FS700 will have continued to drop making it a logical choice. From my next camera I want to be able to output in 10 bit, I would like to be able to shoot in 4K at 60 fps at times and would love to have the ability to shoot high quality 1080p at 240 fps. I like that the Convergent Designs unit can be upgraded to record raw from a variety of cameras that I may rent in the future and I also like the fact that it can be upgraded into a functional switcher.... However, the software interface on the Atomos is much slicker and the price is ultimately lower because they are not charging extra for the raw recording abilities. What do you folks think. Should I go for the Atomos Shogun Inferno or the 7Q+. Is the ability to shoot in raw at high frame rates on the FS7/FS700 worth the extra $1K or so that CD is charging for their unit with the raw upgrade? What about reliability? I have heard some seriously mixed reviews about the QC of the 7Q+. I appreciate any info from those of you who have experience with either of these two recorders.

May 14, 2016 at 1:44AM