April 21, 2016
NAB 2016

Sony FS5 Gets RAW Output & 4k 60p via $500 Firmware, FS7 Gets True 24p & Other Improvements

More incremental improvements to camera tech via firmware at this year's NAB.

The Sony FS5 will get RAW linear curve output and 60p at 4K as well as a 240fps at 2k output from a purchasable upgrade this summer. New features for the FS7 include automated spot focus feature and a true 24fps framerate.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

So I know the Odyssey 7Q+ will record raw out of the FS5, but does anyone know if the new Atomos Shogun Flame will be able to do the same? And if it does, does anyone have a recommendation for which one to buy?

April 21, 2016 at 9:08PM

Nick Capezzera
DP & Editor

The firmware update is much cheaper

April 22, 2016 at 2:27AM

Nico Saiger
Indie Filmproducer

Even with the firmware upgrade you will still need an external recorder to get the RAW signal. The firmware does not allow internal RAW recording.

April 22, 2016 at 2:27PM

Rex Warner
Digital Storyteller at The Arbinger Institute

The Shogun should be able to record raw, but it's a little limited in what it can record. So if you're looking to record 4K60p or 240fps continuous/etc. you'll probably need the Shogun Inferno.

I just want my FS5 to have more options, especially with 4K, and I like the idea of RAW -> ProRes straight in the recorder.

April 22, 2016 at 2:29AM

Sebastian Kammonen
Filmmaker

Sony always going hard in the paint on the paid firmware upgrade.. Nice upgrade though!! I'm sure all FS5 peeps will love this!

April 22, 2016 at 4:11PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Why would you buy a RED Raven again?

April 24, 2016 at 1:32AM

One thing that's not super clear is the 4k at 60p. Will this be internal or will we need a recorder. I've gathered that 240 continuous / RAW, etc. need an external recorder, but it sounds like they are making 60p available internally..???

May 17, 2016 at 5:06PM

Quigley

I have the FS5 with the $600 upgrade key for FW 2.0 enabling RAW. I have an original Atomos Shogun. You only get 12 bit DCI 4K at 24 or 30 fps to record to the Shogun (which translates it into Slog 2 or Slog 3 ProRes at whatever bitrate you want). With an Odyssey 7Q+ or a Shogun Inferno, you can also record 60fps DCI 4K continuous, 120fps DCI 4K in 4 second bursts, and 240 fps 2K continuous. NONE of these new frame rates are available in internal recording. You must have a recorder to take advantage of them or the Raw output.

June 4, 2016 at 8:58PM

Paul Antico
Producer

Is there any change to the colour sampling or is it still 8-bit 4:2:0 in 4K and 10-bit 4:2:2 in 1080p?

July 1, 2016 at 12:43AM