This episode of Indie Film Weekly brings word of a collaboration between camera giants Panavision and RED, and a new policy that may change the Hollywood system forever.
Film industry powerhouses Panavision and RED have teamed up to create arguably the world’s most advanced cinema camera, the Panavision Millennium Digital XL 8K. Meanwhile, in Washington, an even more industry-shaking announcement has been made: Obama's plan to require time-and-a-half overtime pay for lower-income workers may forever change the way producers deal with assistants trying to climb the production ladder.
Managing Editor Emily Buder and I discuss these developments, along with some news about Netflix binge-watching, the indie-ness of Amazon's new programming, and updates from last weekend's Cinegear Expo in L.A. As always, the episode includes our Ask No Film School segment, plus grant and festival deadlines, upcoming indie film releases, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Using Non-Actors to Push Reality Boundaries
- A Filmmaker’s Tribute to NPR Photographer David Gilkey, Killed in Afghanistan
- Panavison Co-Builds the World's Most Advanced Camera: 8K RAW DXL Cinema
- DJI Continues Path to Aerial Dominance with 'Focus' Remote
- 2 New Affordable Lenses from SLR Magic CINE
- In the Future, You May Be Shooting Your Film with a Glitter-Sized 'Metalens'
- Exclusive: How Blackmagic Design is Democratizing Color with Resolve
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- Derek Freese Documentary Fund - June 12
- Musicbed & Filmsupply $100K Contest - June 28
- MountainFilm Commitment Grant - Letter of Interest - June 30
- Slamdance Screenplay Competition - June 13
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- The Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival & Lecture Series - June 10
- Scottsdale International Film Festival - June 13
- The Woodstock Film Festival - June 15 (Late Deadline)
- King Jack - June 10
- TransFatty Lives - June 15
- De Palma - Limited - June 10