August 28, 2016

Make Sure You've Got All of Your Video Gear with This Free Checklist

You're heading out the door to your next shoot—are you sure you've got all the gear you need?

Sometimes it's hard to keep tabs on all of your equipment, especially when you're rushing to your next gig. If you don't already have a system in place to ensure that you've packed everything you need, these stylish gear checklists from Fangs Film Gear might be a huge lifesaver—and they're totally free!

Fangs gives you free access to not one, but two gear checklists, one for your standard 1-camera shoot with sync sound and one for a 2-camera shoot with sync sound. It separates your gear into four categories: camera, sound, lights, and other, and covers just about everything you'll need for a shoot, including your camera, tripod, audio recorder, headphones, batteries, card readers, and, most importantly, your coffee.

If you want to get your hands on these free gear checklists, click this link. It'll take you to their "Free Goodies" page where you can not only download the gear checklists, but their "How to Shoot a Great Interview" PDF (just in case that interests you). Provide your email address and then you're off and running.

This is actually...genius.

August 28, 2016 at 12:47PM, Edited August 28, 12:47PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Edit* It's just a PDF with some icons. I was thinking it would be a little more interactive.

August 28, 2016 at 2:38PM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

Wow how useless is this? I wish my equipment lists were that simple. It would have been awesome to have some kind of interactive app. Maybe a drop down menu where we could place specific items under each category.

August 28, 2016 at 4:05PM

Caleb Rasak
Camera Operator / AC

So create it.

August 29, 2016 at 7:08AM

This "checklist" is useless for professional film makers.
I would not call it "checklist. It would be fantastic, if gear could be checked that simple.

Sure, it is great as a guide on gear types for another, more detailled list you have to create by your own. But that's all.

For example:
In my cable bag, I have up to 200 single items and adapters etc.
I also own a lot of tripods of different sizes and with different heads for different use cases.

My checklist has to be precise to pack the right gear for the required shot.

My suggestion:
transfer the topics from the PDF into an Excel file and start completing it with further details. But this PDF on its own makes no sense.

August 29, 2016 at 11:00AM, Edited August 29, 11:01AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner
2037

Yeah, totally. Every shoot has minor differences...so a generic checklist will miss too much of it. Or...it would be so long, encompassing every single thing, that it wouldn't be useful. I have to do a custom list for just about every shoot except a talking head interview, in which case everything is (usually) already in a bag ready to go.

I like how the video show "lenses", oh, okay, check! Wait. you forgot the 17-50 b/c you saw the case of primes and the checklist just said, "lenses". This sort of checklist is a super simplistic way to prep and is more or less worthless and will get you into more trouble than if you didn't have any sort of checklist at all.

"Power." Check. (V-mount/AB/9-volts, LP-E6, chargers for all, AC?)

September 16, 2016 at 3:48PM

Daniel Mimura
DP, cam op, steadicam op