January 24, 2017
Awards Season

Here Are the 2017 Oscar Nominations [COMPLETE LIST]

La La Land
Find out which films are nominated for the 89th Academy Awards.

Finally (FINALLY!), the day has arrived for the announcement of the nominations for the 89th Academy Awards. Here is the complete list of nominees for the 89th Academy Awards:

Best Picture

Documentary Feature

Documentary Short Subject

Foreign Language Film

Live Action Short

Animated Short

Image credits: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Wow...so many amazing flicks. All my favourites making the top. Let's go La La Land and Arrival!

January 24, 2017 at 10:26AM

Christopher Evans
Video Artist

I really wanted to like both off those movies so much but both ended up letting me down tremendously.

January 26, 2017 at 3:31PM

Frank Mck

The Moonlight PR team deserves an Oscar for elevating an average indie film up to Oscar nominations.

The only elements holding that movie back from true greatness are the same categories it's nominated for!

Moonlight was a great movie despite the fact that it was poorly shot, poorly directed and edited in an amateur fashion.

With a more talented production team, that movie could have become a classic.

Instead, it's being awarded for politically correct reasons. Which is a shame, because the subject matter and story deserve SO much more than it was given in that film.

January 24, 2017 at 11:36AM

BD

How is Moonlight poorly edited, shot, and directed?

January 24, 2017 at 1:17PM

Warren Bros.
Filmmaker | Cinephile

Many shots are out of focus! I can't be the only one that noticed this. The opening shot (spinning around Juan) looked like a first year film school student was operating the camera. It is certainly not up to the highest cinematography standards of our industry.

The directing was poor because the character development was minimal, and many of the characters, including the adult Chiron, were stereotypes. The fact that his character barely uttered a word was an "artsy" way of covering up lack of character development. Having your main character stare at other actors in silence isn't art, it's laziness.

Worse was the directorial decisions surrounding Juan, one of the most compelling figures in the movie, who totally disappears from the film with a vague reference about a funeral. That's simply sloppy directing.

The editing was also lazy. So many scenes lingered on an empty frame, that it made me think they were afraid to cut a shot.

Don't get me wrong: the subject matter of the film was compelling and extremely pertinent to current American culture and civic rights, which I respect. BUT, I think we are doing a disservice to these important issues by holding up a mediocre film as the best representation of some of the most under represented classes of our society.

The industry can and should and needs to do better.

January 24, 2017 at 2:42PM, Edited January 24, 2:42PM

BD

Are you sure some of those out of focus shots weren't artistic choices?

The adult Chiron is only a stereotype on a surface level. He's trying to emulate a black male stereotype in order to fit in, but that's not who he actually is. I think Chiron's silence is more effective than anything he could have said. There's no point in using dialogue if visuals can convey emotions. I also take it you aren't a fan of Nicolas Winding Refn.

On this point I agree with you. Juan's departure could have been handled better.

I wouldn't call that lazy editing at all. Barry Jenkins is establishing a tone, and those empty frames convey an alienation effect that reflects the mindset of Chiron.

If Moonlight had stuck to a conventional narrative it would have been just another "issues" based film beating you over the head with its subject matter. But its unique approach to the portrayal of time, memory, and identity elevates the story beyond a simple political statement.

January 24, 2017 at 5:48PM, Edited January 24, 6:30PM

Warren Bros.
Filmmaker | Cinephile

Fair enough, I appreciate your perspective and rebuttal!

I still disagree on the soft focus shots ;) but the rest I'm willing to be more open minded about. Thanks for the reply.

January 24, 2017 at 7:52PM

BD

Glad to see Suicide Squad there. Shame Batman V. Superman didn't get Best Picture.

January 24, 2017 at 7:16PM