July 21, 2017
in theaters

BTS with Nolan and 'Dunkirk': How They Shot 70mm and IMAX

Dunkirk
DP Hoyte Van Hoytema had to invent new lenses to make shooting with the massive cameras work.

Christopher Nolan’s 70mm WWII spectacle Dunkirk has already received more attention and critical praise than almost any other film this year, and it’s only hitting theaters today.

We’ve read and written a lot about what unique spin Nolan might bring to a well-trod topic, and of course about the tech behind the film. It's one of the first features in history shot almost entirely with a million dollar IMAX camera. (This crazy Business Insider story reveals how the team rescued footage from one that sank unexpectedly during a water-landing scene.)

But why was it so important for Nolan and his DP Hoyte Van Hoytema (Interstellar, Her) to shoot on the rarely used 70mm format? Was it more than just a gimmick? This behind-the-scenes video reveals some of the team’s decision-making process.

Van Hoytema says that the team considered 70mm from the very beginning. “We straight away started talking about a big format, especially IMAX. It’s a very visceral window to the world...In many ways, it's the best format out there.”

Producer Emma Thomas adds, “If somebody had said to us six years ago, ‘Go off and make a film about the evacuation of Dunkirk using only large format cameras, I think we would have thought that was an insane thing to do.” However, since they had some experience with the format between Interstellar and the Dark Knight movies, “we were equipped to do it and were able to maximize the format and really get everything that we wanted from it.”

That being said, Nolan admits that “a huge challenge is the size and weight of the cameras, so our feeling was, if we could find a way to do it physically, the payoff would be well worth it.”

In the video, Van Hoytema and Thomas detail the lenses and other accessories that they had to develop to make the camera usable in terms of weight and movement. Akin to the Dunkirk soldiers depicted in the film, Van Hoytema recalls, “You always end up thinking about things that are impossible and then try to make them possible.”

Great movie..... Good work guys.... https://www.lgg7s.com/

July 24, 2017 at 4:18AM

Harry Smith
Seo

That being said, Nolan admits that “a huge challenge is the size and weight of the cameras, so our feeling was Admit Card 2017, if we could find a way to do it physically, the payoff would be well worth it.”

July 24, 2017 at 7:05AM

Soniya

Can I ask then - Why do it in both 70mm & Imax? what benefits one over the other.
I'm not a film student - just love movies. And I get the whole Imax experiance etc. so why make a big thing out of the 70mm, what does that bring to the film.

July 24, 2017 at 7:34AM

Because as it stands, no film has ever been made completely in IMAX. This is as close as it gets. The scenes that aren't filmed in IMAX, are usually shot on 35mm or some digital camera. Filming those scenes in 65mm will bring you a lot closer to the fidelity of IMAX. The jump in image quality won't be as large, and the depth of field will be much closer between the formats as well, whereas the difference between 35mm and even 65mm, let alone IMAX, is absolutely massive.

There's also the bragging point of being the most high-res film ever made :). Tons of films have mixed 35mm with IMAX, but none have done it with 65mm.

July 24, 2017 at 2:15PM

Oscar Stegland
DP/Steadicam

The Imax cameras were too loud to use in any scenes with dialogue, I believe.

July 26, 2017 at 11:06AM

Bill

I saw this in 70mm as I'm sure most of you have, and I personally don't think the extra cost required to shoot this way was worth it (except for the publicity and envy it generates amongst one's peers). I just don't think the difference between this and 35mm (or between 35mm and highest-end digital) is worth the cost. Besides, I've never seen a film shot and projected digital have a problem with scratches, but there was a very short section I saw that had scratches.

July 27, 2017 at 7:23PM

I'd agree, although I didn't see it in the full 70mm IMAX. The sound was actually terrible to me. Gunshots didn't sound like gunshots to me. The crack of bullets going by was too loud compared to what I've experienced with actual rounds. They are a sharp crack, but not ear piercing. Also, the color was different in the same scene from different angles. I think the film could have been better, I just don't like the way the story was told. All this being said, I still enjoyed it.

August 2, 2017 at 3:33PM

happy dasara images hd. wish your near and dear ones a joyous Dussehra.

September 6, 2017 at 3:33PM

Sport news, live scores, features, analysis and photos from the world of sport. ... Data crunch shows the AFL team most likely to win the grand final. By the Digital ...

September 11, 2017 at 7:02AM