January 21, 2018
Sundance 2018

Infographic: Cameras and Lenses Used to Shoot Sundance 2018 Movies

We broke down the numbers.

The Sundance Institute and Canon USA, an official sponsor of the Sundance Film Festival, have provided No Film School with comprehensive data on the cameras and lenses used by filmmakers screening at the 2018 festival. Of the 247 movies that provided data, only three shot on film.

And there are other surprises. "I'm shocked at just how insanely dominant ARRI is over even RED," says No Film School's tech writer Charles Haine. 15 films reported shooting with a RED camera, as opposed to the 90 which shot with an ARRI.

"The single solitary Panasonic listing is a surprise," continued Haine. "I would've thought Varicam would be more present, but I bet we'll see that change next year with EVA1. Also, in VR, only one project on Ozo? Crazy."

This year’s festival edition includes films from 47 first-time directors, representing 29 countries.

For more, see our ongoing list of coverage of the 2018 Sundance Film Festival.

Sundance
No Film School's podcast and editorial coverage of the 2018 Sundance Film Festival is sponsored by RODE Microphones and Blackmagic Design.

That's interesting. I expected Sony to have beat Canon by now. Also the relative low amount of shorts shot on DSLR is shocking. And last but not least: only 3 films shot on film!

January 21, 2018 at 7:59AM

Auke-Jan Weening
Dissapointment

I guess I'm not surprised by the low DSLR numbers. It's cheap enough to buy a C100 or something in that range vs a DSLR.

January 21, 2018 at 8:30PM, Edited January 21, 8:30PM

Sundance is mostly for studio type films to get the hype machine going. not students with a dslr.

January 26, 2018 at 3:09PM

Hunter Senftner
Director/DP/Editor

Can i presume that listing absence for Red cameras is that the representation is lower than Sony usage? I assumed that the brand being named with "insanely" lower usage than Arri, that we would at least get some numbers.

January 21, 2018 at 4:54PM

Nathan T
DP

The top three most popular camera brands were used on 155 films out of 244 films total (that reported their data). That leaves approximately 89 films or well over 1/3 of films that were shot on something else. To not mention the mix what nearly 1/3 of what the other films were shot with, seems like a big omission to me. Over 1/3 is a significant chunk. The Arri Alexa is undeniably a beautifully performing camera, but its price, even at rental, puts it well out of the range for many independent filmmakers with minimal funding, which is the group I actually thought was the target audience of No Film School. And to just list the brands of Canon and Sony as the second and third most popular CAMERAS is also a big omission. Knowing which exact cameras used from those brands would have been very useful or at least interesting information. Otherwise, it's a fine looking infographic.

January 21, 2018 at 9:41PM, Edited January 21, 9:51PM

Benton Collins
Camera aimer

What Benton said....

January 21, 2018 at 11:28PM

Scot Yount
Director/Editor/Photographer/Motion Graphic Artist

I agree Benton.
No film school still has some really great articles, but it does seem to lean more and more toward the "indie" film crowd. That sort of uppity edgy arthouse festival crowd of films that have budgets most of us could only dream of and even A list actors sometimes.
Personally I'm more interested in the Joe or Jane building a spaceship in their backyard out of PVC pipe and shooting a feature for $5,000-$15,000 with their buddies on a GH4. Things that are actually within the realm of something I'm capable of doing myself.
If I see that an indie film is shot on an Alexa I zone out, because I know the budget for the rental alone is well beyond what I would have as a budget for an entire feature.
So glossing over the other cameras is a sort of subtle nose up in the air to all the other indie filmmakers who aren't part of the cool kids club at Sundance.

January 22, 2018 at 2:48PM, Edited January 22, 2:50PM

Mike Tesh
Pro Video / Indie Filmmaker

This.

January 27, 2018 at 6:11PM

Mark Deere
Writer/Director

yes this is all just Click bate to get use to this page to click on ads.. If it was shot on a DSLR then they would not want to tell anyone. The hype of it was shot on an iphone is over.

January 26, 2018 at 3:12PM

Hunter Senftner
Director/DP/Editor

BAIT

January 28, 2018 at 5:35PM

David Gurney
DP

This infographic is missing so much information it's totally useless. Why mention RED in the into of you don't include them, and then mention VR and have no section for that either. What a waste of time.

January 22, 2018 at 4:16AM

Daniel

Making good infographics is an artform that is often underestimated by the creators.
A cheaf EF-S lens depicting EF-lenses is also a sloppy detail.

January 22, 2018 at 8:21AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Hey, so the canon 18-55mm kit lens was among the popular ones film makers said they used? I'd imagine they'd use cine ones or serious primes...

January 26, 2018 at 2:48PM

John Ng
Aspiring film maker

Yes, I'm curious about RED too- where's it fall?

January 22, 2018 at 10:01AM

Patrick Ortman
I tell stories. Sometimes for money. Sometimes, not.

This is one of the worst and least informative info graphics I've seen in recent memory. I am no more informed after seeing this then I was before I clicked on this page...stupid.

January 22, 2018 at 12:02PM

Chris Kas
Jack of all trades

I agree. I am confused by the #1 Lens. The $56 Canon EF-S 18-55 was the most popular lens used at Sundance??? Huh?

January 22, 2018 at 11:54PM, Edited January 22, 11:54PM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

This is the EXACT same infographic that was used from the 2017 article from a year ago.........

January 26, 2018 at 2:22PM

Pryde Pierce
Writer/Director/Actor

Wow, sad.

January 28, 2018 at 5:37PM

David Gurney
DP

This infographic is almost completely useless. It is missing way too much information. This article is pretty bad overall. We have all been looking forward to learning what equipment was used and if this article is all we get, it's pretty disappointing.

January 26, 2018 at 2:25PM, Edited January 26, 2:24PM

I think the article was OK, but yeah, that's NOT the Canon lens being used on any Arri ever made guys! I mean, seriously?
If you wanted to throw in a Canon zoom lens in your graphic, let it be something like the Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 Cinema Zoom, which goes for over $5000 retail. I have a fair amount of ef mount lenses, but I got rid of anything like the one in the chart a long time ago!
Otherwise, I also agree it'd be nice to drill down a little deeper with what really was being used and by who.

January 26, 2018 at 2:29PM