April 12, 2018
NAB 2018

The Future of Viewfinders is Here, and Its Name is Artemis Prime

Artemis releases its newest product, the Artemis Prime.

The future of viewfinders is here and its called Artemis Prime. Artemis is an app that has been on the market for the past 10 years. It is a director viewfinder software application that allows you to reproduce any camera and lens combination on the market. They made an update recently to the Artemis in the form of a new app called the Artemis Pro, which has a whole bunch of added functions including VR and AR tools.

Now take the Artemis Pro and put that software into a working hardware and you have the Artemis Prime. The Artemis Prime allows you to take whatever lens you have in your hand and view it through any camera on the market. This product can handle any sensor size up to and including the Alexa LF. The Artemis Prime is pixel accurate and has a bunch of features using the Artemis Pro software that help in the creative process. You can add frame lines, virtual stand-in, LUTS, change exposure, and then take a still and send it to the production team. The Artemis Pro is $30 and the Artemis prime (Tablet, adaptor, stand, and software) is $8,000.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2018 is brought to you by AdoramaMy RØDE Reel, and Blackmagic Design.

NAB 2018 footer

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

is the $8,000 a typo? seems a bit of a price jump :)

April 12, 2018 at 9:53PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

I think it is. In the video he mentions 8500$ ;-) completely ridiculous.

April 13, 2018 at 1:12AM

Gerard M.

8500 is on par with top-tier director viewfinders and this offers a whole lot more.

April 14, 2018 at 2:19PM

Emil
Content

I bought Artemis long time ago, and I don't feel like the app was in development since then, in fact, it was losing features. I remember getting on top of the bus to show the frame wirelessly to my director, only to find out that the feature which was sending live view to his iPad was removed during one of the updates.

Artemis occupies the biggest amount of space in my iPhone, as all the shots in the app are kept in some poor format which is 10-20 times heavier than standard jpeg. 600 images are taking almost 2 gigs of space.

And then you can't use a standard sharing dialog from within the app, you first need to save a shot to your photo library, then switch to your photos and send it from there.

There are other things which can be improved (for example that slow 'running man' which appears between photo snaps is just killing me, steals too much time).

I really wish the company will tweak it to comply with modern standards. It was the first viewfinder which appeared on the market, but there are far better options now. It's easy to say that your application is used by cool guys, but were they happy with it? I personally used it on many award-winning films, including "Paradise" which won Venice Silver Lion and later was shortlisted for Oscar, but was I happy with it? Nope.

I paid around 25$ dollars back when I bought it (maybe more, maybe less, it was a long time ago), am I supposed to pay another 30$ now for something that will be abandoned next year? Doubt it.

April 14, 2018 at 10:42AM

It is basically a iPad with a app in it. I don't think I would buy stock in that company.

April 14, 2018 at 10:23PM, Edited April 14, 10:55PM

hmm, can't reply to Nic's comment, nor can I view his profile to "reach out" so I guess I'll just post an open ended question here.

Will Artemis Pro be available on Android as well? If so, will it receive the same level of support as the iOS version?

April 16, 2018 at 12:13PM

seanmclennan
Story Teller

I got this really cool app and it was actually free! It came with my birth. It's called "Fingrs" or "Fingers" (I forget the spelling) and what you do is you make two "L" shapes with your index and thumbs and then connect them together. Then, you "look through" the "Fingrs" and wah-lah, your frame. Works with any set of eyeballs.

I wish I could email it to my director or producer though... waiting for Fingrs 2.0 for that.

April 17, 2018 at 4:25PM, Edited April 17, 4:25PM