May 23, 2018

How You Can Influence the Future of Premiere Pro

Premiere Pro
What features would you like to see in the next Creative Cloud update? Adobe is listening.

The latest updates to Creative Cloud last month introduced some new exciting features in Premiere Pro, After Effects, Adobe Audition and more. If you work in Premiere Pro daily and you’ve missed it, Jason Boone has a great video overview of new features in Adobe’s editing software.

But there is one update that gets less attention despite the potential it has. It is the new place to give feedback to Adobe: UserVoice. It replaces former Bug Report and Wish List forms. There is UserVoice for Premiere Pro, After Effects, and a few more. The best part? You can vote for and support features you would like to see in the future or even start a new thread. It’s like voting on Reddit.

In this video, I discuss that forum and try to predict new features for Premiere Pro 2019 release.

Here are my ideas and predictions for improvements in the next release. What are yours?

1. Luminance/Saturation Curve

As I said in my Lumetri Color tutorial, Luminance/Saturation Curve (like the one you can find in DaVinci Resolve) lets you, for example, desaturate shadows very easily. It would be a great add-on to this effect.

luminance-saturation curve in resolve

2. Match Color Improvements

The new Match Color feature is great but I think it’s still in a beta version. If Adobe is serious (and it is) about its color grading tools, the company needs to implement something like Stills in DaVinci Resolve and better ways to copy grades between shots. That's just the necessary step.

3. Image replace in Motion Graphics

Motion Graphic Templates are great. I fell in love with that feature as soon as it was introduced in CC 2017. But I’m sure we can expect more improvements here. The UX design could still improve and the ability to change graphics in the animation in Premiere Pro would be, IMO, the best possible update to Motion Graphic Templates.

motion graphics templates edit

​​4. Team Projects

Team Projects are still pretty new feature for team and enterprise members and there are plenty of areas for improvement. Probably Adobe can look at video collaboration tools like frame.io and implement some of the features inside the software to make collaboration and remote editing easier and more efficient.

5. Live timeline

The live timeline means that you can edit during the playback. It’s the feature that Avid has recently introduced at NAB and I think that it will speed up the workflow to the point where it’s inevitable that Adobe will make that move as well.

6. Group effects

If we want to apply an effect to a bunch of clips grouped together, Premiere Pro doesn't have an efficient way to do it. I expect some kind of group shared effects to be introduced in the 2019 release. It would certainly be very useful.

7. ProRes RAW support

Support for ProRes RAW has to exist at this point. Actually, this is the one that probably will be implemented in Premiere Pro even before 2019 release. With Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K coming and cameras that will follow, it’s inevitable.

Luminance/Saturation curve
The predictions in this article are based on the knowledge of the industry but, to be honest, I’m probably half wrong. In addition to what I wrote above, I also suspect we’ll see further Premiere Pro - Audition integrations in Creative Cloud 2019 as well as some upgrades to VR editing. I did not base my assumptions on the UserVoice forum, although as you can see above, I’ve started a thread about Luminance/Saturation curve there (and if you agree, chime in!) I also encourage you to go to this forum and vote on the features that are most important to you. Some really great proposition for Adobe out there.

What would you like to see in the next version of Premiere Pro? Are you going to recommend anything in the UserVoice forum? Let us know in the comments.

Before we get any of this Premiere better give us basic features before.
Like color management of your project/timeline. I can't stress how important this is and the fact it doesn't give you any color information at all is annoying. You can't properly color grade without it.
Also there needs to be better audio configuration options for your timeline. You should be able to change configurations after making the timeline. I hate when I drag a clip to make a new sequence that the audio is stubborn and can't be changed. I wish it just always defaulted to a multichannel mono sequence.
One other feature needs to be integrated is multichannel export with an mp4 H264 since they removed H264 encoding with mov wrapper.

I've slowly switched to Resolve because I feel like they listen more. Also Resolve is a better technical program just on color management alone.

May 23, 2018 at 1:30PM, Edited May 23, 1:30PM

Alex Alva

Yes. This. 1000 times this. Premiere needs color management before it needs any other feature.

May 23, 2018 at 7:26PM

John Carl
Director

I do agree about the color management and changing the audio configuration. recently I had to add the clips again to have audio tracks the way I needed. I wish I had thought about this idea myself :) Thanks for the feedback, Andrew!

May 26, 2018 at 9:08AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

What I'd really like to see is a version of Premiere (or After Effects, for that matter) that is stable. Every update introduces new glitches and both applications are full of instabilities that make software crashes at least a daily occurrence on complicated project files.

May 23, 2018 at 1:35PM

Philip Heinrich
Director, Producer

Yeah, it happens definitely too frequently and there're to many bugs. I do think we need to install any new version leaving the old version still on the system.

May 26, 2018 at 9:25AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

Premiere Pro CC used to be able to import .mp4 files. You know, those video files that come out of your camera.

Since a recent update, Premiere will no longer import .mp4 correctly. For me, importing 26 files, the first 8 appear as regular video files, while the remaining 18 files are imported as audio only. These files were captured on the same camera over the course of a single afternoon with no changes in formatting. Resolve can import these files. FCPX can import these files.

This was the last straw. I cancelled my CC subscription. I have endured many bugs and glitches within Premiere for a long time, but when the software fails to import footage, that is the end of the line. I am just trying to start a new project and literally can not import 2/3 of the files I need to edit. That is not functional editing software. I don't know what the fuck it is, but it is definitely not functional editing software.

When there are numerous threads on the Adobe Help Forum about this .mp4 audio importing issue, but all the Adobe Staff can suggest is reporting your machine's specs, it is abundantly clear to me that they are too busy designing glitchy new features and have no interest in solving the most basic problems.

I was a hold out against FCPX for a very long time, but after making the switch last week, I am finding that it is actually very functional, and in many ways more intuitive than Premiere. Not to mention, the COLOR CORRECTION ACTUALLY FUCKING WORKS because, you know, color management exists. Premiere Pro doesn't seem to know anything about that (even though After Effects does? WTF?)

As an editor who grew up learning on FCP 4-7, it seemed like Premiere was trying to emulate FCP7 when FCP turned into "iMovie Pro." But despite the similarities to FCP7, Premiere was always a chore to use, and various glitches annoyed me to no end. I can't tell you how many times in the past 6 months I was joking with my boss to get me an iMac G5 with FCP 7, because I know that setup would be more efficient than using Premiere on my MBP.

Coming back into FCPX feels familiar because the keyboard shortcuts are actually intuitive. Various things that I always wanted a shortcut for in Premiere, have shortcuts in FCPX. But even moreso, the interface actually works very smoothly. And holy fuck, it renders everything in the background! It is completely seamless! I can actually scrub through footage and find what I'm looking for when I want to find it. I have heard people say FCPX makes editing feel fun again, and I have to admit I agree. Even exporting makes Adobe Media Encoder look like a lawn mower.

Sure there are some weird things, the file system is rather unconventional, batch exporting isn't as simple, and some of the tools took a minute to get used to. I was very concerned that FCPX would hold me back because at first glance many features seem to have dumbed down controls. After using it for 2 weeks I am finding that the controls aren't truly dumbed down, they are just streamlined. As far as I can tell, FCPX is actually usable software, while Premiere Pro no longer is.

That's my 2 cents. I am choosing to influence the future of Premiere Pro by admitting it is broken and beyond repair and switching to software that works.

May 23, 2018 at 3:03PM, Edited May 23, 3:03PM

You voted '+1'.
Gustave T.
Videographer

Glad to participate in as much Premiere bashing as possible; it deserves it. But I still LOATHE Final Cut pro, especially its awful color grading (though not as awful as it was a few months ago)--and despise the "maybe we'll render, maybe we won't--we'll decide" background render feature. Much as I'm disappointed in Premiere, I'll go back to 3/4" tape-to-tape editing before I suffer through FCP one more time.

May 24, 2018 at 3:56PM

J Robbins

I've never encountered the mp4 problem but I do understand your frustration. If I had such a problem I'd probably abandon the ship as well.

May 26, 2018 at 9:50AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

Forget adding more stuff, I just wish they could fix the problem with Premiere Pro constantly crashing. It's a time killer.

May 23, 2018 at 3:17PM, Edited May 23, 3:16PM

You voted '-1'.

True, they should focus on the stability... anyway it's always best to leave old version on the system when updating to the new one.

May 26, 2018 at 9:52AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

STOP TO ADD FEATURES, FIX ALL BUGS....
ok sorry for uppercase, but i'm tired to see wow option in premiere where every week i send since 10-15 bug report for premiere and tons for AfterEffects... or they start to pay me like betatester, or i stop to pay annual, and migrate to other softwares after 20 years that i use and teach them...
it's embarassing that add bug that cause problems about timecode, import export project, mask offsetting, proxy creation and more...
please start to work with professional shooting and try to use premiere feature with it... to discover problems in every area...

May 23, 2018 at 4:27PM

Carlo Macchiavello
Director

Wow, I can imagine how it feels if you tech Premiere Pro for 20 years. Must be so frustrating. I hope Adobe knows they need to focus on the stability or else people will abandon the ship. Many good alternatives out there... Thanks for the comment!

May 26, 2018 at 9:54AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

Yeah. Bugfixes. At work, i regularly encounter bugs doing the easiest things.
Once per week i google the problem and find a thread in the adobe support forum, usually five to three years old in which someone discribes the same issue.
Some unmotivated custommer support answers "thanks for filing the bug report" and when i arrive at the last three posts that are from the same year, they just say "i cant believe this isnt resolved yet" and thats what im thinking.

May 23, 2018 at 5:22PM

Daniel
just a filmmaker

Yeah, right, Adobe is absolutely famous for listening. I’ll bite though, let’s start by sorting clips by name as default, the way 99% of professionals shoot, rather than sorting by *undefined*

May 23, 2018 at 8:39PM

Right on

May 24, 2018 at 4:01AM

Just FYI, the new Pocket Cinema Camera 4k does not have ProRes raw, as mentioned in this article. I believe it's only been announced on a DJI drone, and an external recorder or two, unless I missed something.

May 23, 2018 at 10:06PM

Michael Schmucker
Producer, Cinematographer, Animator

Upvote for visibility. NoFilmSchool needs some education on accurate reporting.

May 24, 2018 at 9:54AM

Michael, you're right! Thank you for the info and sorry for the mistake. Though I needed to check how I got the idea. So the thing is that Blackmagic said that though it's not in the specs at the moment they are looking into it. As they always update their firmware pretty regularly, I expect ProRes RAW will be a thing for BMPCC 4K. Anyway - you're 100% right - at the moment it's not there. Thank you once again!

May 27, 2018 at 8:40AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

Can't find the link, but there was a discussion at NAB where Grant seemed uninterested in pursuing it and listed a few reasons it wasn't a priority.

June 1, 2018 at 7:02PM

I spent 9 years cutting on Vegas before switching to Premiere because my work was getting more VFX heavy and I used After Effects at the time. I quickly learned that once Adobe left CS6 and went CC, it was the most unstable editor I had ever used. After a few years of torture, I left everything Adobe behind (excepting Photoshop CS6) and now live happily in Avid land for cutting, Resolve for on-lining, and Nuke for VFX. You couldn't pay me to switch back to Adobe at this point, stability is more important than trendy features.

May 23, 2018 at 10:11PM

Chris Tempel
Director

How was switching to Avid? I imagine it's hard once you're deep in Adobe's system? I plan to learn it myself as well.

May 27, 2018 at 8:43AM

Piotr Toczyński
Editor, YouTube Creator

I can't agree more to all the anti Adobe comments.

Adobe is not listening!
They are taking subscription money and blowing it out of the window for crappy title/graphics window features (who needs them, seriously?!) and all the bullshit stock content (who the hell needs that, we are our own content creators).

Adobe has turned into a worse software company by introducing CC.
It is getting worse and worse, with each update. CC2017 was a disaster, and CC2018 is unusable!!

Adobe do not need to fix the bugs in the basic core features, because I cancelled the CC subscription. Now I use other tools that have better performance and stability.

Adobe is a sinking ship.

Jeff

May 24, 2018 at 2:36AM, Edited May 24, 2:44AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

Uhhhh Premiere HAS A LIVE TIMELINE ALREADY. Way more than what Avid showed. This article is crap.

May 24, 2018 at 7:08AM

Yep. I edit during playback all the time.

May 29, 2018 at 9:46AM

Rob Viscardis
Filmmaker/Editor

Stability would be a nice feature

May 24, 2018 at 9:16AM

I would like a feature where i select part of the audio clip and premiere searches for similar sounds and cuts them out. It would save me a tone of tedious work cutting out Umm's, Ahh's, breathing in,... And i think it could be done very easily, but be a big time saver for me and people cutting talking head videos.

May 24, 2018 at 10:40AM

Tomaz Kovacic
Self taught: Director, VFX artist, Editor,...

It's fascinating that people keep complaining and mucking about with Premier while a vastly superior (and free) product is sitting right under their noses... Davinci Resolve.

May 24, 2018 at 10:59AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

I still never wind up using automatic motion tracking--even though I could use it every day, I just can't depend on it. It always lets me down. I wind up adjusting each mask manually, which adds hours to my work. Premiere doesn't just need to create new toys--it needs to make the toys it already has work.

May 24, 2018 at 3:49PM

J Robbins

FIX. YO. SHIT.

That's all I, and apparently all of us are looking for.

Lumetri clashes with all my 3rd party plugings, and some adobe ones as well. Users are supposed to figure out where the land mines are, and it turns out they can be everyday uses that trigger a crash. Y'all just inviting some competition to lead us away because BROKEN isn't worth shit. GAH!

May 24, 2018 at 10:10PM, Edited May 24, 10:10PM

Gordon Byrd
Owner, Byrd Pictures

This comments section is so cathartic to read through!

19/20 comments so far agree "Premiere is simply dysfunctional."

May 25, 2018 at 1:09PM

You voted '+1'.
Gustave T.
Videographer

First of all, I'm using premiere for a film editing, and I'm very satisfied how fast and responsive it is for me. Usually it's an offline work, and for me it's fine. I agree with the most comments above but first of all I would like them to fix audio workflow, especially AAF. It's a buggy as hell, and if I want to be on the safe side I need to use omf which is centuries old.

May 28, 2018 at 12:05PM