Meet Hive's Biggest LED Yet, the Super Hornet 575-C
After showing off its ultra tiny 25-C at NAB, Hive Lighting has lifted the embargo on its largest LED, the new Super Hornet 575-C.
Los Angeles-based Hive Lighting got its start with Plasma lighting, which offers high output for low power, but has spent the last few years also developing incredibly versatile LED lighting units. Starting with the 100-C, which has now expanded to a full line of 25, 50, and 200-watt units, Hive has created lights that offer a huge amount of flexibility and color accuracy in a small package.
The company is not only expanding on that with the new Super Hornet 575-C, a 30,000 lumen light source that will pack a pretty big wallop, but it has also managed to stuff its popular Wasp 100-C into a smaller housing for those working on cramped sets.
Super Hornet 575-C
Let's start off with the 575-C. We got to see it back at NAB, but Hive Lighting had asked us to hold off on releasing this video until the "official" release.
Now that the embargo has been lifted...feast your eyes on this beaut.
What we saw back then at NAB was very impressive. The key to remember is that with LED you generally have one of two choices: you either have all the fun and flexibility of an RGB unit or you get the real power output you need in a unit that is only bi-color or single color.
The 575-C is going to bring both of those together into a single unit. Large enough to be exceptionally useful on larger sets and for more complicated lighting set-ups, the new 575-C will still have the light quality users appreciated with the smaller LED units for the last several years.
Tech Specs: Super Hornet 575-C
- 30,000 lumens (2.5X the Hornet 200-C)
- 4" x 11" and 5.5 lbs. Head
- 10" x 9" x 4" and 9 lbs. Power Supply
- 550 Watts
- 90 - 264 VAC
- Profoto Mount Compatible
- Hive C-Series Accessories Compatible
- 100% flicker free (0-100% dimming)
- Full Hive "SHOT" controls
- Wired and Wireless DMX (Lumen Radio/CRMX)
- Bluetooth App for iPhone and Android (increased range)
- Preset Effects, Sources and Profile library along with new "Corrective Gels"
- Price: $4000-$5000
- Availability: September 2019
On top of all that, Hive has also revised its 100-C, the original Wasp LED, into a slightly smaller body.
Since the unit has only been out for a few years, it's great to see the company take some of the lessons learned from the smaller 50 and 25 units and roll the innovation up into the larger unit. It's only 0.5" shorter than the original, but every little bit counts on a cramped set.
Tech Specs: Wasp 100-C
- Omni-Color LED
- 75W draw
- 400-750W Incandescent Equivalent
- Up to 98 CRI / 97 TLCI
- 360° Hue Control
- 0 – 100% Dimming Control
- 0 – 100% Saturation Control
- 1,650K – 8,000K Color Temperature
- Manual, Wired and Wireless DMX, and Smartphone control
- 100 – 240 V AC input via Universal Wall/Battery
- 12 – 20 V DC input via XLR
- 7” / 177mm Length
- 4” / 100mm Diameter
- 2.3 lbs. / 1.1 kg. Weight
- Price: about $1300
Hive will be showing off the 575-C and the new 100-C at Cine Gear this week, so be sure to head on over and check it out.
Until May 31st, Hive Lighting is also offering a 10% discount on pre-orders.