March 1, 2016
PODCAST

Introducing Our New Podcast for Busy Filmmakers: 'Indie Film Weekly'

Swamped on set, engrossed in an edit, or vanished into a production vortex, but still want to stay on top of indie film news? We got you.

Welcome to the premiere episode of Indie Film Weekly! Hosted by No Film School Founding Editor Ryan Koo and me, Editor-in-Chief Liz Nord, we keep you updated on what’s happening in the world of indie film, as reported by and for filmmakers. From headlines, to new gear, to important deadlines, we make sure you're caught up.

This week, we share indie analysis of both the Film Independent Spirit Awards and the Oscars (plus #JusticeForFlint); announce some exciting changes on—literally—our own doorstep; update you on this year's Berlinale, Europe’s second largest film festival and market; and give you a rundown of the latest filmmaking tools, upcoming deadlines and indie releases. And here's the interview we mention in the show with Tangerine co-Director of Photography Radium Cheung, HKSC.

Show Links & Mentions:

Filmmaking Tools

Upcoming Deadlines: Opportunities

Upcoming Deadlines: Grants

Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals

Indie Releases

VOD

Theatrical

We’re a new show, so please let us know what you would like to hear more (or less) of in the comments below. What indie film news is important for you to stay on top of each week?

Meanwhile, please subscribe and rate us in iTunesSoundcloud, or the podcasting app of your choice. Find us on Twitter: @lizfilm, @ryanbkoo, and of course @nofilmschool.

While content is appreciated, a podcast seems like a step backward to me. Either give me text that I can scan quickly to get content, or show me whats new in a short video. Podcasts are neither this nor that. Cheap and quick to produce, sure. Useful? Not so much.

March 2, 2016 at 2:54AM

It's a matter of taste, of course, but I think a lot of people prefer podcasts as they're something you can have on in the background whilst driving/jogging/whatever. I think the longevity of podcasts like Scriptnotes or Nerdist would suggest there's life in the format yet...

March 2, 2016 at 3:17AM

Jon Mills
Filmmaker

Its being offered for free and still people whine. Thanks NFS for your efforts...

March 2, 2016 at 8:38AM

Ben McAllister
Compositor

Hi Jim,

If you want to read about the subjects Ryan and Liz discussed in this podcast, we've provided links to many of the stories within this article. One of the goals of the podcast is to provide people with topics that might serve as a launching pad for further reading.

March 2, 2016 at 10:33AM

Jon Fusco
Producer/Editor
Actor/Writer/Director

For me, podcasts are great when I can't consume written or video content. So when I'm driving, exercising, cooking and whatnot is when podcasts are super useful. Also, you shouldn't sell podcasts short in terms of quality. Some of them are phenomenally well-produced and full of interesting and relevant content.

March 2, 2016 at 11:21AM

Robert Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker's Process

Just recently getting into podcasts. Never used to think I'd like them. Turns out I was wrong. I think this has a lot of scope and look forward to listening to them in future :D

March 2, 2016 at 10:38AM, Edited March 2, 10:38AM

Will Poole
Director/Producer/Writer

I'd like it if you could explain what actually happened before you talk about it. A short explanation about each of your discussions will help understand what you're actually talking about.

I found myself lost while listening to things I had no previous information about.

Looking forward to see this grow.

March 3, 2016 at 10:00AM, Edited March 3, 10:00AM

Daniel Falcon
Director, VFX artist

Thanks for the feedback Daniel! Was realizing that myself, listening to it...

March 8, 2016 at 12:37AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Good stuff. Awesome of you to make it downloadable!

March 4, 2016 at 9:09PM, Edited March 4, 9:09PM