August 3, 2016

HP Makes a Strong Case for Mac Pro Users to Switch

HP z240
With the new third generation Z240 and upcoming Mac Graphics integration, HP is helping build a case for PCs in high end graphics workflows.

Considering the limited expandability of the current Mac Pro and the long years of slow updating on the old Mac Pro, it's surprising that Apple still has such a strong hold on the pro market. But, despite the frequent protestations of "man, if apple doesn't do something soon I'm going to PC," we still see a large number of post-houses running Mac, especially those with a client-facing component. HP is working hard to move into that segment. Their new third generation Z240 with Remote Graphics Software for Mac should be considered by anyone setting up a post suite, whether it's a single tower home studio or a fleet upgrade.

HP RGS to Mac
HP RGS to MacCredit: HP

The RGS, which is reportedly shipping within the month,  promises to make the transition easier for Mac-based professionals who want to harness the hardware power of a PC. The system is a custom-built screensharing platform that is specifically designed for the bandwidth needs of video and graphics work, using proprietary software to transmit only the essential video (similar to a long-GOP codec) to partner machines. If you've ever tried to do graphics or video work while "remoting in" with something like GoToMeeting or Apple Remote Desktop, you know it's way too laggy to effectively work for any creative task requiring flow. RGS is designed to allow multiple users on Mac, PC, or Linux systems to remote in to the Z station and take advantage of its power in a realtime fashion.

Pricing for the Z240 starts at $879 (as opposed to the $3K range for a Mac Pro), which is a great base price point for such a potential powerhouse, especially one with PCIe slots to enable you to upgrade the graphics card. The platform is highly configurable, but here's a sense of the range of specs available:

• M.2 Storage for SSD connection
  • 64gb DDR4 max ram
  • 4.2GHz max processor clock speed
  • Z Turbo PCIe SSD
  • Native RGS integration
  • Tool-free chassis for simple configuration in the field
  • Limited 3 year warranty

What do you think? Do these specs tempt you to make the switch?

mac 4 life!!

August 3, 2016 at 3:14PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

You're totally free to pay for overpriced outdated hardware.

August 5, 2016 at 4:17PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

You don't know what you're talking about. Apple only upgrades if a chip(processor/graphics) or something else is better than what they have. Intels latest releases are no better than what's in the current macs, that includes the Mac Pro. Once Intel releases a chip Apple feels is more powerful without sacrificing battery life or usability, they will upgrade. This hasn't happened yet, you are very misinformed. Have fun fixing/tinkering with your PC. I know you PC guys love having issues to fix. I personally love working, not fixing my computer.

August 6, 2016 at 1:00PM

Then why do they upgrade the iMac processors once or twice per year with the newer Intel chips? (i7's included...) Also, battery life has no relevance to a Mac Pro obviously.

Maybe somehow I'm wrong, but your comment doesn't make much sense to me. Unless I'm missing something and the Xeon procs haven't improved performance-wise since 2013??

No need for the hostility. I've had PC's and macs. Honestly had more reliability issues with macs. PC's have been super solid for me. I'm ready to upgrade again, but can't justify a Mac Pro right now. Too outdated imo.

August 9, 2016 at 2:42PM, Edited August 9, 3:03PM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

Xeon have no really improved performance wise/stability wise. Your the first person who has ever told me they had issues with a Mac out of thousands, do you work for Microsoft?

August 10, 2016 at 8:23AM

Yes. They pay me to respond to Apple enthusiasts on production blogs.

My MacBook Pro needed the logic board replaced. My friends MacBook Pro needed the logic board replaced. My producing partners Mac Pro (2013) screeched to a halt on our last Premiere Project... Still not sure the issue. My PCs just chug along.

Also... My iPad is getting slow and my apple headphones broke. My new iphone is great though.

Seriously... I would buy a new Mac workstation if it was justifiable. I prefer the OS. But.. It's old.

August 10, 2016 at 9:26AM, Edited August 10, 9:26AM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

You obviously are either lying, or extremely biased. Or you work for Microsoft, many companies pay to have bogus comments on blogs like this. I have owned macs and never had any fry like that, and everyone I know has macs and never had that happen. Why didn't you take it to Apple? Even if you are out of apple care they can always help you. I still have my black MacBook from 2007 and it still works perfectly. I think you are doing something wrong with macs, probably physically. Maybe bending them too much while move them, they are much more delicate physically than a PC. I would assume you throw your gear around, and having that cheap and thick PC plastic helps you.

August 16, 2016 at 9:26AM, Edited August 16, 9:28AM

So... troll much? Bad love life? Angry at the government? Society? Parents? Sheesh.

Yeah, I did take it to an Apple authorized repair place Paid around $350 to replace it. I was literally out of Apple care by 1 month at the time.

Try google bro... "2008 macbook pro logic board failure." Quite a common problem.

Peace out.

August 18, 2016 at 11:35AM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

I feel like new purchases should definitely be PC, but I put a 980 TI in an old Mac 5,1 tower and it runs amazingly well, and it will accept the newer Nvidia card models also. So there's merit to retrofitting the older Mac's. Post houses are selling them for cheap all the time (how I got mine).

August 3, 2016 at 3:16PM

Steven Bailey
Writer/Director/Composer

I made the switch from mac to windows and haven't looked back. My workstation is a beast for 1/2 the price of the mac pro. I feel like Apple is really giving the cold shoulder to the professionals. It's sad really because the professionals are what kept Apple a float for so long. I still use my ipad though. They do make the best tablet, hands down.

August 3, 2016 at 3:37PM, Edited August 3, 3:36PM

Travis Orozco
Director/Cinematographer/Editor

But does it run MacOS?

August 3, 2016 at 3:45PM

Chris Tucker
amateur filmmaker

I really hope Apple stops neglecting the Pro users who have long been their strongest advocates.
I understand that there have been delays in Intel, NVidia, and AMD's pipelines. However, that is no excuse for not updating a computer aimed at high-end users for 3 years – nor providing them with any guidance so as to inform their purchasing strategy. (There is a limit to how long even the most ardent of fans can hold their breath.)
I sincerely hope that the long wait leads to a redesign taking the best from both Mac Pros: put the all-flash architecture & thunderbolt connectivity of the Cylinder Mac Pro into the upgradable Tower Mac Pro case with industry-standard PCIe slots. So, that while Apple is taking their time working on their once-every-3-year release, the rest of us can keep pace with the rest of the Pascal-powered world.
I just hope Apple remembers that it is a computer company not a car company...

August 3, 2016 at 3:56PM, Edited August 3, 3:56PM

William

People have been making this argument about Apple since the 1990s. I remember when they switched from OS 9 to OSX and the uproar about how Apple had abandoned the pro market then. Then the IPod, then the IPhone, etc etc. It's safe to say it is a bit of a cliche at this point to say Apple has left the pro market and yet almost 90% of the editing houses here in L.A. are still Mac based, begging the question, "If they're so unprofessional, why do all of these pros use them?".

At the company I work for, we have mac towers and IMacs that are 7 years old now that we still use often on jobs for major clients so they are very well built machines that are quite reliable for the most part. Yes Macs are expensive and they have almost always been a closed system (the older Mac Pros were the exception not the rule). That being said, they are not actually expensive for what you get. A 5k IMac is kind of a great deal as a 5k monitor costs nearly 2 grand and that's what those computers start around. Also, a lot of software is written for the very limited hardware that is inside of macs which makes it a lot easier for software engineers to optimize for macs as opposed to PCs which could have any number of different components.

August 3, 2016 at 7:26PM

Brad Jones
Director/Producer/Writer/Editor

When they remove the ability to format memory cards in their disk utility forcing you to take to google for hours only to find out you have to do it from the disk utility in the latest version of OSX, I'd say it's pretty fair to say they're unprofessional. I found that out the hard way working as a DIT on set. For every new release of OSX my Macbook Pro has gotten consistently worse and most of all more difficult to work with professionally. My current motto is "when Apple has an update, just don't ever"

August 3, 2016 at 9:56PM

Oscar Stegland
DP/Steadicam

You need to get some training in Post Production, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. If you are fine living in 2005 go for it, I personally want to always look forward like Apple.

August 16, 2016 at 9:31AM

This sort of comes down to FCPX vs um, quite a *few* other choices.
"Under the hood" its AMD gpu acceleration vs nVidia. Or OpenCL vs CUDA. (not going to get into which is 'better', another conversation, another day ;-)
If the nMP had nVidia (CUDA) cards as an option it'd be a MUCH easier sell.
Going deeper "under the hood"...
On the "HEDT" price/performance thingy, here's a handy comparison chart:
See the trend.
Take any of the CPU model numbers, "4930k"etc go to "geekbench" and compare the multicore scores vs the $$.
Ideally you want BOTH fast single core speed, AND good multicore speed -
single core for all your wireframing/print apps, multicore for AE etc (one of the few prosumer apps that scales well).
Put another way, you can buy three workstations with faster e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g for one 12 core nMP.
Don't hate me. I'm on Apple's side, (have been for 25 years) I just want to see them compete better. Or just have broader relevance. Like:

August 4, 2016 at 3:18AM, Edited August 4, 3:22AM

Nicholas Croft
IT consultant

Our main editing system is a Mac Pro. We also use a circa 2009 iMac 27" and two custom gaming PCs that are more than powerful enough to do 1080p and even 4K editing. I have considered moving over to the HP systems because of their balance of affordability and power. Still, at the current rate, the only system that isn't chugging along the way it used to is the iMac.

August 3, 2016 at 4:30PM

Charles Duoto
Instructor & TV Production Crew

At this point, people stick with Mac because of the OS. There are plenty of monitors and computers out there that are just as refined as an Apple computer and are much, much more powerful. The fact that customers will stick to expensive, old Mac machines is a testimony to just how much people haaaaaate the Windows OS (myself included).

My suggestion to Microsoft would be to abandon the Windows platform completely and start over with a new, UNIX based system similar to what Apple did when they switched from OS 9 to X. Brand it as something completely different and start from the ground up. I've owned numerous Windows machines and although the Windows OS definitely got better from 7 on, it still doesn't come close to the user experience on OS X in my opinion. And I think that's why you still see post houses with Macs. It's unfortunate, because Apple really doesn't deserve the pro market at all anymore. They've really left us in the dust on their quest to make a paper thin telephone.

August 3, 2016 at 5:17PM, Edited August 3, 5:18PM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

"...a testimony to just how much people haaaaaate the Windows OS (myself included)."

Interesting point. I suspect there's at least *some* truth in it. But of course MS isn't going to change so much as a font in their Windows OS to please the professional market. What might be possible, though, is that HP or Adobe or someone else with skin in this game makes some sort of overlay or operating environment that can run on top of Windows, providing a very different user experience without requiring the user to switch to a different platform altogether. Then, when you've taken your creative professional hat off for the day, you exit out of the overlay/environment and presto, you're right back to Facebook and Pinterest.

August 5, 2016 at 8:58AM

Clay Smith
Wannabe screenwriter, film editor, director

I just don't know what computer company is doing better than Apple for pros like me. I would aurgue Apple released the most sophisticated editing software, a little two early. Now today it's great and far ahead of all other editing software, but because of the release people still won't use it. I personally ditched premieres bugs and crappy updates six months ago and could not be happier.

What PC is made as well as a Mac, none.

August 16, 2016 at 9:35AM

I don't totally understand the full utility of the Remote Graphics Software for Mac. Do they mean that you can remote access your HP desktop from your Mac laptop (or w/e) and edit remotely in a non-laggy way? While using the GPU and CPU power of the HP desktop?

August 3, 2016 at 5:36PM

Brian Charles Lehrer
DoP + Director

Its unfortunate Apple continues to do everything it can to convince me to not buy their products.

Iphone7 - no headphone jack
Mac Pro - no updates in 3 years (still same price, or more in some regions)
Thunderbolt display - no update in 5 years, then discontinued (same price for all those years)

I prefer working on a UNIX platform and appreciate the clean OSX experience,
but what the heck am I suppose to run it on if Apple refuses to update its PCs?!

August 3, 2016 at 6:03PM, Edited August 3, 6:05PM

Daniel Reed
Hat Collector

I'll agree with you regarding the Mac Pro and displays, though I imagine they have something coming up soon as its been too long without any major updates. As for the headphone jack... Using the lightening connector is suppose to allow higher quality output versus the headphone jack. Plus they will be supplying an adapter for this, so I don't see the big deal surrounding the removal of the jack.

August 3, 2016 at 8:16PM, Edited August 3, 8:16PM

Really? The iPhone (regardless which version) has the worst headphones on the market. You know how you can always tell who has an iPhone on a train... whose ever music you can hear sitting 3 meters away.

It's a little thing as the jack that will keep me away from iPhone, because I really hate how everything has to be apple this and apple that. I want to retain the option to use a good pair of Sennheisers if I want to.

For business I work with Apple every day and will probably continue to do so, but I'm not impressed anymore. Apple has really taken a turn for the worse ever since Cook took over the wheel.

Too much bullshit for profit thinking than consumer thinking. Apple could rule the world if they wanted to, there's a reason they are not, and it's not because of things they aren't doing but because of things they are doing.

August 7, 2016 at 12:37AM, Edited August 7, 12:37AM

Torben Greve
Cinematographer

Calm down dude, relax a bit with your apple hate. You will obviously be able to use any headphones you want with the new iPhone, they will have an adapter like they always have.

August 7, 2016 at 11:52AM

I will be moving to a Window rig as my workhorse. Apple has been letting us pros down more and more lately. They used to listen to us, but now, they're consumerizing everything, including their "pro" gear. I have an iPad "Pro", but I'm struggling to see what's so "pro" about it. I think it's interesting that Asus is coming out with a tablet computer (Transformer 3 Pro) that you can hook up to a graphics amplifier. That sounds more "pro" to me! Anyway, I'm on the hunt for my desktop and mobile devices now. Whether it's a new Razer Blade with an amplifier or an HP ZBook/Station, it'll happen soon. The only question now, is wait for the new processors to hit the streets or just go ahead and get the current tech?

August 3, 2016 at 6:10PM

Courtney Jones
Producer/Director

Yes it's interesting Apple has a 'Displays and Mounts' section without any displays. I bet they're coming out soon with a 4k or 5k update. Otherwise why not dispose of the entire category...

I'm no longer a Mac zealot, but plastic just ain't gonna work for me. It's about the OS and I have never seen anything good come out of Microsoft.

August 3, 2016 at 6:37PM

There is a better model than shown here, the HP z820 which can handle 15Tb storage and up to 512GB of RAM, with room for 2 graphic cards, two processors up to 24 cores.. That for better prices.. its really looking at Mac in the rearview mirror..

August 3, 2016 at 6:58PM

Mauricio Fernandez
General Manager TVTK

24 cores is great - if you can afford it. I built a fantasy computer on the HP website for $80.000

August 4, 2016 at 10:20AM

Jan Becker
DP, Director, Producer

One thing you forgot... It runs windows and I don't do windows. Another point, the Apple eco-system is far better than the MS eco-system. I will never trust MS again.

August 3, 2016 at 8:11PM

Yeah apple is neglecting pro users yet they came out with the most advanced editing software. But everyone bitched, now everyone is switching back to Final Cut because Adobe is way too buggy/slow/old fashioned.

The reason most post houses use macs is because most post software/plugins/codecs work or is made for macs. Macs are 100% more reliable and not subject to viruses. Macs have much more robust hardware, made to render constantly. I bought the best HP money could pay for, it was about $2,500. After a month of constant rendering I fried it. Got a replacement through Best Buy, and I fried that. My iMac and MacBook Pro have been constantly rendering and never had an issue. I still use a 2011 iMac and it runs perfectly, I don't have a need to upgrade. Macs last at least 5-8 years of pro use, good luck getting 3 from a PC. Apple care and Apple stores is also a big reason, if I ever have a issue they will fix it and give me a loaner if they need to send it out. Can you get that service from any PC? Nope!

Prores on PC? Oh that's right prores sucks right? Even though it's the industry standard.

Apple looks towards the future. Having thunderbolt matters, but it's usually buggy on a PC because PC drivers are a shit show. Oh USB 3 is just as fast right, try transferring a 512gb red mag with USB 3. USB 3 will take 2-3 hours while thunderbolt will take 20 minutes.

I will continue to use macs, I cannot trust a cheap PC for my work.

August 3, 2016 at 8:42PM, Edited August 3, 8:45PM

Exactly. And as stated before; The software is optimized for the specific hardware in the macs and this enables them to be workhorses with less specs. I've never had an issue with any mac. I've owned an iMac when I first got into Mac and never looked back despite hating Apple for years. Then got a macbook Pro. Then we got a Mac Pro and threw an Nvidia Quadro in it and some fast drives. It was great for a studio setup. Did small edits with my Macbook Pro and then updated to a new one I still use to this day from late 13. No issues at all. Then the new Mac Pro came out. We we were intrigued and saved up and got the 8 core with almost maxed out specs/graphics, etc with a 8TB OTC Raid and we have NO issues throwing anything at it. 4k RAW, 6k RED, pro res, etc. We do sometimes have issues with Premiere which is the program itself. But the Pro was worth the money IMO to not have any issues, crashes, viruses, etc. We can work with native codecs, aidrop and use specific software. And we also have thunderbolt, which like you said PC and usb just don't contend with. For every little hardware spec you think you have on a Mac with a PC, people forget about the mac specific hardware and software that PC doesn't have. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. These aren't cheaply built and have proven to be extremely reliable where as PC's just aren't.

August 4, 2016 at 5:36AM

Brad Watts
Filmmaker/Creative Director - Redd Pen Media

You will get the same warranty and service as Apple Care when you go with a Windows Workstation manufacturer. HP 3-year (3-3-3) limited warranty and service offering includes 3 years of parts, labor and on-site repair. The best thing is that it's already included in the price.

PS: Mac Pro power user and former Windows Workstation owner.

August 4, 2016 at 4:40PM, Edited August 4, 4:40PM

I've had HP's their warranty is a joke compared to Apple care. I had a computer fry, they wouldn't help me. Had to spill water all over it for them to help, then took 3 months to get a replacement. Bought a Mac while I waited and sold the HP

August 4, 2016 at 7:45PM

A PC will only run as badly as you build it.

August 5, 2016 at 9:48AM

Thats cool man, but don't talk like you're objectively right.

Besides, final cut isn't the most advanced editing software out there, not by a long shot.

I use final cut, I enjoy it, but it doesn't match up to Adobe Edit suite.

I've edited 8 features, graded, coloured, sound designed & mixed all in Final Cut X over the last 2 years, it's a great program but it isn't the best.

August 16, 2016 at 3:06PM

Gonna stick to my hackintosh for now.

August 3, 2016 at 9:29PM

Ruslan Ranjabar
Director/DP

HP is making some awesome hardware these days .....BUT you have to run Windows .... ya....no thanks, I'll stick with my Mac's

August 3, 2016 at 9:33PM, Edited August 3, 9:33PM

Turn on computer. Load Adobe Premiere. Edit. What does it matter what OS is running Creative Cloud? I have no dog in this fight, but I do use Windows 10 now because I refuse to overpay for a computer I can't even upgrade. W10 has been bulletproof for me. It's easily the equal of OSX when it comes to stability.

August 3, 2016 at 10:56PM

But what happens when your PC breaks(motherboard, graphics, anything)? Do you just go buy a new one? Every PC I have owned has had so many issues, but every Mac o have has had zero issues. Have you ever owned a Mac?

August 3, 2016 at 11:35PM

This old, tired argument again? Dude, if you're buying a cheapo laptop/desktop it isn't Windows fault if it breaks. If every PC you've ever owned has had issues, it sounds like operator error. How do you account for the fact that I've had the opposite experience? And, conversely, the Mac Pro, I use on a weekly basis frustrates me to no end.

I have a very nice Dell desktop with a great warranty. It is my third system and I've never had an issue with it. No BSODs, nothing. While it is nice system, it is still an order of magnitude cheaper than a comparable Mac. I'll also be upgrading the GPU to the latest NVIDIA in a couple months.

August 4, 2016 at 12:03PM

Maybe you are not pushing your machines as hard. I have edited three features this last year, I am constantly working or rendering. My computer usually runs 24/7. Even the best PC can not handle this, I wish I could save the money I really do. The fact is macs are much more robust, PCs are all made cheaper. There is not a single PC brand that even comes close to Mac quality.

I run a business, saving money in the short term is not always smart for the long term. In the long term, macs are much cheaper to run and maintain. This cost is a mix of time and money. If you are fine wasting half the day tinkering with a PC more power to you. I would rather use that time to work, does that make sense?

August 4, 2016 at 9:53PM

My best analogy is think of a PC like a manual car and a MAC as an automatic car. Sure, both will get you to where you need to go but;

Manual car (PC) can pull more weight, can be modified more easily and overall is more versatile. The downside is they can break down more easily but are easily repairable, you just have to be knowledgeable enough.

Auto Cars (MAC) are easier to drive, and more welcoming to newcomers but typically it's limited to current setup. When an Automatic car breaks down, they normally have to be taken a specialized mechanic and can cost more in the long run.

But at the end of the day, the right tool for the right job. If you don't need all the fancy stuff and just want a ready-to-go system well a MAC is probably for you. Control freak? Performance junkie? PC is for you.

(Yes I am a PC guy)

August 4, 2016 at 12:37AM

What fancy stuff am I missing doing post on a Mac? PC's are much more limited software wise, I do agree they can be modified. These modifications, and the drivers needed to get them to work is the root of PC buginess. A PC will never be as stable as a Mac, stability is super important.

And if you have a Mac, repairs are free for the first year. With apple care they are free for 3 years, this makes your aurgument mute. In reality a PC will have much more downtime, you have to wait for parts at the very least. I just have to drive to an Apple Store ten minutes away and they have everything I need. If they don't, they give me a loaner. I can't risk my business on a PC

August 4, 2016 at 12:50AM

I've been building custom gaming rigs since 2005, and drivers have rarely been an issue. Having the ability to select every single component gives you amazing flexibility to customize your experience. I am the OEM. These machines are an extension of myself. I would rather do every single repair myself. For some reason I care deeply about the DIY/indie work ethic. In the same sense you can drive to the Apple store, I can drive to a Fry's and purchase any replacement I need, and they price match Newegg these days.

I agree that having free repairs is definitely a plus, and apple care is a fantastic service. Yes, I have an iMac that the university provides me as an instructor, and also have consistent access to a Mac Pro that my production partner purchased for our studio. I'll say that without a doubt, the Mac Pro has been the overall best experience we've ever had, except when it comes to our wallet.

At the end of the day, we run both types of systems and haven't had very many issues. Adobe CC is cross-platform so we have no issues moving from system to system.

August 4, 2016 at 2:04AM, Edited August 4, 2:06AM

Charles Duoto
Instructor & TV Production Crew

August 4, 2016 at 3:26AM, Edited August 4, 3:33AM

Nicholas Croft
IT consultant

Hackintoshes are way too buggy in my opinion, had a buddy with one and he spent his life trying to fix all the issues it had. Things from graphic card issues to kernel panics. I'll stick to my "over priced" Mac that has paid for itself 100x over.

August 4, 2016 at 9:14AM

With a data set of one, sure. The "no true Scotsman" argument ;-). Its not for everyone.
It helps to already have a PC/builder 'enthusiasts' mindset. Basically the antithesis of the Mac buyer who just want Apple to determine the "good, better, best" model for them. Nothing wrong with that.
The trick is to *carefully* select the right components up front. Bluetooth and Wifi in particular. Then you have to be just a bit *geeky* to set up the "DSDT/SSDT" (Power Management).
There are build guides. They must be studied prior.
Armed with that, a HackT will work as stable as a store bought one, with all the finesse of icloud/sleep/imessage etc.
But. As you're on FCPX, this does not apply.
Intel "Quick Path" and AMD gpu's work just fine for FCPX, and its a great product, no argument here.
Its *other* workflows: people on Red Rocket, Da Vinci Resolve, Blackmagic, Octane, ArhiVis, Adobe CC etc and who also want to stay on the Mac OS that this applies to.
Geekbench of 51,000 is nothing to sneeze at, especially at a third the price of the 8 core nMP.

August 4, 2016 at 10:50AM, Edited August 4, 10:51AM

Nicholas Croft
IT consultant

I'd have to disagree. I have no more issues than someone with a custom built PC. I download all my updates directly from the App store and have had no issues at all. Ever since Clover came out it has been a real game-changer.

August 11, 2016 at 9:39AM

Travis Collins
Freelance Videographer

Just look at this ugly plastic monster. Welcome to the 90s.
But seriously, I appreciate the slow upgrade cycle by Apple. You don't feel left behind only a year after your big investment. My old MacPro is over 8 years old and is still working for everything HD.
The trashcan is so small you can take it on set or onto a plane for travel.
I can't wait for the new one - I'm buying it.
And Windows? NEVER.

August 4, 2016 at 10:16AM

Jan Becker
DP, Director, Producer

Yup

August 4, 2016 at 12:02PM, Edited August 4, 12:02PM

Honestly for me it's always been about OSX. I hate the new waste basket mac pros. I think Jon Ivey is killing Apple by favoring form over function. Windows 10 seems better, but I'm still not sold. If Adobe would just support Ubuntu Linux I'd switch systems in a heart beat.

August 4, 2016 at 11:24AM

Charles Stewart Jr
Video Producer, U.S. Government

Yes, no Linux love from the big guys. It's always either Win or Mac.

August 5, 2016 at 4:25PM, Edited August 5, 4:25PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

The problem with Mac as always been upgradeability. Why the hell would you want to buy a TrashCan, and then need an addon box to change/upgrade the video card? At least the old Mac Pros (Im still using one) was able to be upgraded!

August 4, 2016 at 1:40PM

doman nelson
Director, Editor

You can upgrade Mac pros through thunderbolt. Much more flexible and portable for on set use. This allows you to have a portable box with a raid, dual graphics cards and more. Upgradability is not an issue like everyone is stating. Yes it costs more money, because you are buying into a more robust and professional system. You always get what you pay for in like, whether it's with your time or with the money.

August 4, 2016 at 9:56PM

For I.O (transferring files) Thunderbolt is utterly amazing and simple.
For "eGPU", which Apple DONT support, - adding a 'turbo' boost to your rendering with a beefy gpu... Mmm, technically it is achievable - I've done it, with the hellacious Titan Z (think 2 x gtx 780ti on one card = 5750 CUDA cores!)
But YIKES, the Thunderbolt enclosure(s) add considerable cost and complexity, an ADDITIONAL $1000 USD *per* gpu. As in, we haven't even bought the gpu yet - kext modification (tunneling), variables depending on what class of onboard gpu your macbook/imac/pro has, and which OS you're running - Yosemite, El Cap, nVidia web drivers, quality of cables, the boot sequence. Messy. Maybe the Razor core will work, but I don't know if the TB3 to TB2 adapters are working "OOB" yet?
Add a second eGPU, and in thunderbolt enclosures alone, you've exceed the cost of a decent 8 core cpu and motherboard.
Again, if its FCXP, none of this applies. Apple have your back. Any Apple hardware post 2012 will do a decent job.
If your workflow requires CUDA, or even a beefier AMD/OpenCL card like a Fury Nano or the new 480 you're options are limited. Hence the frustration with the closed nMP. We love the Mac OS, just wish Apple would share the love back.

August 5, 2016 at 1:22AM, Edited August 5, 1:27AM

Nicholas Croft
IT consultant

If it ran OSX I'd be there. It's not pretty but neither is an iMac that has a laggy buggy graphics card I can't upgrade or replace

August 5, 2016 at 12:03AM, Edited August 5, 12:03AM

Matt Drummond
Writer/Director/Producer

It's only laggy/buggy running premiere. Try out Apple software and it will fly

August 5, 2016 at 8:54AM

We were a PC house for years before making a move to Apple. We are essentially an all digital agency with strong web, photo and a growing video component to our business. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to rebuild PC machines over the past 15 years in business. Blown power supplies, motherboards and hard drives. To say nothing of the number of times I've had to reformat and install Windows XP then Windows 2000 then Windows 7. Every six months a reformat to keep the stupid things running optimally. 12 months max. Hours and hours of maintenance to keep the things running. Then, about those browser hijackers! Sure, it's possible for Apple or Linux to get browser hijacked . . . but how come it happened so often with PC. Every bloody month I'd have to spend more hours searching online to find some or other removal tool for the latest stubborn crap software. Oh, and how did they get there? From legitimate downloads of "free" software like Filezilla! From one of those sites that say the download is clean and that there is an option to ignore additional installations of bloatware. Ja, right. And who can tell from a list of PC specs whether the dumb thing will actually do what you want to do with video? In the end I came to the conclusion that an "old" but still available out the box as new 2012 13inch MacBook Pro with Final Cut X would actually do what I wanted it to do. So I did just that. A year later and not a single glitch. No computer rebuilds. As I write this I have two major tasks running in Lightroom that would have ground my PCs to a halt. No browsers hijacked. No wasted time. It's just doing it's job. That allows me to do my job too - not become the company systems admin / IT tech / security specialist. I was so impressed that we replaced our two other staff with little Mac Minis. And guess what . . . same story there. They just do their jobs. Any task you throw at them and they get it done. And the whole process cost less by buying second hand off eBay than it would us buying PC components and building alternative machines ourselves! In other words, we have gone fully Apple for less than what it would cost to replace our office with PCs that could acceptably produce the same work. I have no experience with major horsepower PCs and those cylindrical Macs on the high end to which the article was evidently pitched. But what I have found out over all the years of pain and suffering with PCs that the spec sheet means nothing at all. It's the complete package that matters. And I see PCs now like hotrods. They are big and ugly and make a lot of noise. They boast huge horsepower and spew out heat and flames and go bloody fast in a straight line. But they can't go around corners. When you want to go on an road trip and get from one place to another you can ride a hot rod. But it's going to bumpy as hell and the stupid thing will likely break down on the way. A Mac on the other hand will just drive you there nice and safely and when you are done with the trip you would be happy to turn around and drive back the same way you came. Unless something drastic happens, I'll never look at another PC again. I wouldn't put one in my office if it was given to me.

August 6, 2016 at 7:01AM

Alistair Cotton
Photographer - Videographer & Web Specialist

My experience too, thanks a lot for sharing. Hope some PC guys actually read this, think and realize there is a better way if your okay having a piece of fruit on your computer.

August 7, 2016 at 11:15AM

Thats a hard sell for our post house if it can't run FCP X (8 editors, split 5 using FCP X and 3 using Premiere). Price is definitely right though!

August 7, 2016 at 11:12PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

We have had Macs (Mac Pro's and iMacs) since the beginning at the studio i work for and all was going well. Until we decided to build a powerful grading & VFX PC workstation among all our macs. The list of problems it brought with it is incredibly long. So I am very cautious of switching my personal workstation to a PC even tho the price is tempting an my own Mac pro is growing old. Also, I hate Windows.

August 8, 2016 at 4:00AM

Jesse Ekholm
Director of Photography / Cinematographer

Yup, thanks for sharing your experience using both platforms. I find most PC guys have never owned a Mac, they just hate that fruit logo so much they are willing to go through the headache of owning a PC. I owned PC's for 20 years, THEY SUCK! Not much has gotten better since I left. I used to make my living fixing PC's, so many break so often but people still swear by them. Hey people are voting for Trump and Hillary, so to each their own. This is a problem with the spec wars of online blogs like this one, when you actually use the product everyone raves about it sucks. Just like the A7s everyone raves about online, I have used it 5 times on set and IT SUCKS. Terrible camera, but everyone uses it because of the low light SPECS. Same with PC's, specs will never make you a better artist. A macs reliability helps, and lends to more creative thought without having to constantly fix OS and Hardware issues.

August 8, 2016 at 10:44AM

I bought a HP. And very happy with it, I just wish it could run OS X.

August 9, 2016 at 2:53PM

Chris

You probably can, go to http://www.tonymacx86.com and search around.

August 11, 2016 at 9:28AM

Travis Collins
Freelance Videographer

Hackintosh! This is actually where I learned to build my first one.

August 11, 2016 at 9:27AM

Travis Collins
Freelance Videographer

I have been working with PC's since the beginning, I started with x86 computers, which probably most of you didn`t even know they existed, then to x286, x386, x486 and finally to pentium, the huge revolution, and so on until today, I have spent tons of hours building and fixing these PC`s, and the issue with PC's is the worst VIRUS ever created that contaminated all of them, it is called "Windows", when I finally had the money to move to OSX it was a whole new world, everything running like it should do it, can you believe it?!!!!!!!!, an OS just doing what it is supposed to do without the need to reset the computer every day, just amazing!!!!!!
PC is a nightmare, never going back there, doesn't matter what this article or anyone else said (usually young kids without the money to buy a MAC), OSX is the only way, specially for editing, color grading, etc., and guess what?, no viruses anymore…….never again loosing my value data because of the last troyan virus released.
I have to admit, I do love MAC, thanks for making my life easier!!!!

August 16, 2016 at 9:02PM

To everyone commenting on the look of this machine;

If you're insulting this for how it looks (I am a Mac user by the way) you're here for the wrong reasons, TOTALLY. THE WRONG. REASONS.

It doesn't matter how it looks, it matters whats inside.

PC's are just as functional and good as macs.

It's literally like comparing dicks.

One will work for one thing whilst the other will work for another.

It's like saying Canon is better than Nikon or vice versa - Again - totally relative.

Get off your damn high horses.
You're not respected more because you use a brand. If you are respected more for using a brand (and you like that) There is something fundamentally wrong with you and the person who respects you.

Make films, stop f***ing arguing over aesthetics or how you get your work done and make films & respect eachother.

August 17, 2016 at 5:41AM