May 31, 2013

New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Footage to Sink Your Teeth Into

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema CameraIf you've been following the site, you probably know his name already, but John Brawley, an Australian DP, has been working with Blackmagic to develop not only the Cinema Camera, but also the Pocket and 4K cameras. Footage has been nonexistent for the 4K camera (even though we're closing in on the release date), but the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera has gotten one bit of test clips so far, with another now being released. Check it out below:

Some info about how it was shot and edited:

This footage was shot at ISO 800 and I did have to bring it up more than a stop (using the  Antler BMCC plugin – see below) so it does look a little noisier than I’d like. I’m sure if I’d shot at ISO 1600 it would be better.  The restaurant was very dimly lit with just few small practical bulbs above us.

So it’s not ideal but even in this tough scenario the pics are still nice and I know you’re all keen to see low light and the SLR magic lenses. And I think it turned in some nicely useable pictures.

This was all posted in FCPX and I didn’t go to Resolve at all.  Instead I used a beta of Nick Shaw’s awesome BMCC LUT plugin for FCPX.  He currently makes one you can buy for FCP7 with the FCPX version soon to come.

The great thing about Nick’s plugin is that you can very easily do a quick conversion of BMD FILM originated material and get a great look with very little effort.  Mainly I pushed the saturation a little more, but otherwise I didn’t really do much grading beyond what Nicks’ plugin does and I did it without leaving FCP.

While many have talked about this camera in the same breath as the new RAW video hack for the Canon cameras, I think they are both completely different animals, and this camera could certainly complement a Mark III or a Mark II shooting close to 1080 in RAW. We'll still have to wait and see if Blackmagic can deliver RAW for this camera when it's released, but we do know right off the bat we will at least be getting 10-bit ProRes, which is exceptional for such a cheap camera.

The sensor is much smaller than many are used to, but at 2.9x compared to full-frame, I think Micro 4/3 lenses make the most sense on this camera, unless you're going to use something like the Speed Booster -- otherwise you're really cropping into the lenses.

I think if you're looking at this camera or one of the Magic Lanterned cameras, the quality of the Pocket camera should exceed at least the lower-end Canons, as they are only capable of low resolutions in RAW at this point. Cameras like the T3i will most likely not get up to 1080 with the hack, and they can currently record the longest only at resolutions below 720 in RAW mode. Even though you're not getting audio with the Canons yet, where things might really get interesting is with the CF cameras, like the 50D, Mark II, and the Mark III. If you're willing to sacrifice certain things, like real playback, the 50D and the Mark II are right around the price of this camera, especially if you're invested in Canon lenses.

Either way, it's always good to have more options.

Link: Shooting from the Hip Pocket -- John Brawley Blog

Disclosure: Blackmagic is a No Film School advertiser.

Hey guys can someone PLEASE clarify this for me. I have a pre-order for this puppy. I understand that its a crop very close to 3x, so my nikkor 50mm will be a 150 on it.BUT!! I am a bit confused with the crop factor while using m43 lenses. I have an Olympus 19mm 2.8 lens. What will be the Field of view compared to full frame with that lens? Its a m43 lens that I use with my GH2. Whats the difference if any of using M43 glass as opposed to glass that was designed for full frame?... THANKS!!

May 31, 2013 at 5:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miguel

If I understood this right there should be no difference between using MFT Glass and Full frame glass regarding the crop factor, so your 19mm should still be a 57 mm equivalent.

Correct me if I´m wrong ^^

May 31, 2013 at 5:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gjdakin

Crop is 2,88 so your 19mm will be 19*2,88=54,7mm

May 31, 2013 at 6:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

mike

Use Abelcine's FOV website. That should clear up how a lens would look on this BMPCC compared to another.

Just google AbelCine FOV.

May 31, 2013 at 6:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Thanks..yeah I used that..but what confused me was that recently i saw an interview they did with BMD at NAB in which they said that the crop with m43 lenses is only like 1.6 .... I guess I want to know is if it makes a difference if the lens is m43 mount... thanks for all the info guys

May 31, 2013 at 6:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miguel

What they mean is for people used to what lenses look like on M43 cameras, it's a 1.6 crop...those same people would see the 5D as a 0.5 crop. It's all relative.

May 31, 2013 at 6:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gabe

Crop factor doesnt change based on the lens. I always use full frame because I have either shot with full frame DOF adapters or super 16, and I shot 35mm stills forever. I know exactly what the field of view will be if you gave it to me in full frame terms. The M4/3 lenses are made for a smaller sensor, but the crop is the same compared to full frame.

May 31, 2013 at 6:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

depends how the word Crop is used, its misleading to say this sensor has 3x crop on m43 lenses to full frame, FOV is 3X when compared to FF, but the usable lens area is only cropped 1.4 with a m43 lens.

May 31, 2013 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

stefano

People get all worked up about it, but it helps tremendously if you can picture it in your head. If you're comparing a lens to how it would look on a full-frame sensor, a 12mm lens on the Pocket Camera would have similar field of view of a 35mm lens. If you know what lenses look like on full-frame in your head, you can immediately apply that to any lens in any format.

Talking lens coverage is a whole different conversation though. That's why I mention above using M4/3 lenses on this camera.

May 31, 2013 at 9:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

So will my 19mm m43 lens still be a 57mm ish on the pocjet??

May 31, 2013 at 8:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miguel

FoV will be like a 55 on an FF sensor

May 31, 2013 at 8:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

stefano

Time to start collecting some serious S16 glass.

June 4, 2013 at 5:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tulio

I thought it was a 1.6x over m4/3, someone correct me if I'm wrong

May 31, 2013 at 5:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I believe that 1.6 is the cropfactor of the canon apsc bodys. And Mft usually should have something about 1.84-2. (the GH2 has a crop factor of about 2X, the BMCC has a crop factor of about 3X.) so after all everything really depends on the sensor size and not the mount itself.

May 31, 2013 at 6:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gjdakin

^^^ that's why Im confused -_- I was assuming that the 3x crop would be the same, but then I saw somewhere that m43 lenses dont crop 3x's??? I am hoping to get clarification on that....Thanks guys

May 31, 2013 at 5:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miguel

Nobody knows the exact crop - that's crazy!
Joe, I think you have to help us right here ;-)

May 31, 2013 at 6:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

its 2.88 so super 16 so a 50mm lens will look like a 147(ish) on a full frame sensor (aka 5d3)

May 31, 2013 at 6:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Derek

Stop freaking out, no matter what is what, once your lens is attached it will be what is! buy Artemis for your iPhone.

June 18, 2013 at 9:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

tom

Really not sold on 10 bit pro res, i get it that at least its better than any dslr on the planet now as far as dynamic range.

I just do not get the holding back on the compressed dng, because technically i understand backorders of physical bodies, that is logical. However what is not logical is BMC stating that compressed raw was available all along and if that was the case it would have been a firmware update for the original 2.5 camera.

This is telling me either 2 things, the first is that they do not have a raw compressed format or 2, that the raw is available but they are waiting to pull out at last minute, which would be stupid, seeing how pre released footage would spike pre sales even more.

May 31, 2013 at 6:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jay clout

I remember hearing that compressed raw *is* coming to the original camera. Apparently the pocket cam basically uses the same firmware so once it's working on the pocket cam, we'll see it arrive on the BMCC.

May 31, 2013 at 6:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gabe

The sensor is smaller than a m43 sensor, so no way around it, crop factor is going to be ~3x no-matter what lens. Only way around this is a speedbooster.

May 31, 2013 at 6:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

nonsense

May 31, 2013 at 6:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marcus

Sense. BMPCC has smaller sensor than full frame or even super35. Crop factor these days is usually meant relative to full frame.

M4/3 crop factor is 2 >> 20mm Panasonic lens would be like 40mm on a full frame
BMPCC crop factor is around 3 >> 20mm Panasonic lens would be like around 60mm on a full frame

Info above are FACTS. There is absolutely no doubt about it (precise crop factor could be a LITTLE bit different, max +/- 0.2). Don't pay attention to BlackMagic NAB videos too much, the rep in the BMPCC videos was a little confused regarding specific facts. If you want to check for your self, BMPCC sensor size is listed on their website. Use it to calculate the crop factor for your self.

M4/3 / BMPCC crop factor can be improved with the new Metabones adapter. You can also use SOME c-mount lenses, they go as wide as 5mm.

June 1, 2013 at 3:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

PeterK

it's nonsense to say the only way around that is with speedbooster, people have been shooting for ages with 16mm, there are an array of lenses available out there to cover most people's need, and if you are used to shoot with s35 which is the case of most people, you won't have too much trouble to emulate the lenses you are used to.

June 1, 2013 at 11:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marcus

I believe what he meant was that there's no way around the 3x crop factor aside from the Speedbooster. Yes, you can get wider lenses, but to get a lens to show a FOV wider than 3x its full-frame equivalent, you'd need a Speedbooster.

June 3, 2013 at 12:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Even if these cameras could be technically comparable (which we can discuss later), there's a MORAL DIFFERENCE between investing in a BlackMagic camera and a Canon one:

Buy one and you're rewarding a company that had an unexpected success with the 5Dm2 and decided that it needed to keep crippling the HDMI output of every DSLR for YEARS [until Nikon forced them to], to slow innovation in their codec, when it now turns out they had enough firepower to give us exactly what we were asking for since the beginning, that's trying to force filmmakers into paying twice the same amount for practically the same camera [google 1DX vs 1DC], that thought the answer to the 5Dm2 filmmakers was the $20K, no $16K, no $13K 8Bit, MPEG-2 recording C300.

Buy the other and you're rewarding a company that is trying to innovate, that's trying to make things easier for the user, for the workflow, for the image quality, to give us what we were asking for, a camera "that gives you everything it's got".

WHO DO YOU WANT TO REWARD?

May 31, 2013 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

RebelPhoton

AMEN!

May 31, 2013 at 6:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gjdakin

If I didn't already own a 5D mark 3, I would totally invest in the 4K BlackMagic option. I absolutely agree with you on that.

May 31, 2013 at 7:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Hubert

With how beautiful this 1080p looks I'm very anxious to see the 4k!!

June 1, 2013 at 12:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

I guess that the biggest thing for me is that people aren't getting that the 16mm sensor is actually a huge advantage. In the digital world its a blessing to be able to use some of that vintage 16mm glass that is lying in the storages of many cinematographers, I mean, why would you use nikkor, canon or even leica glass when you can find actual cinema glass for very similar prices, angenieaux zooms that are unparalleled (Kubrick adapted 16mm angenieaux lenses with an extender to be able to shoot a clockwork orange) there are incredibly inexpensive zeiss glasses, fuji cinema glass and even tylor hobsons. So in effect, we have been accustomed to using 35mm stills glass because of the market price of cinema glass, and we figured all sorts of ways to adapt them, but if we have the advantage of shooting 16mm! That is just TERRIFIC! and, curiously enough, the downscale of the sensor size is precisely why this camera is so innovative!

June 1, 2013 at 2:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

manuel

You speak great wisdom. When the detractors see what this little cam can do with that glass on it??? I can't wait.

June 1, 2013 at 3:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

I'm sure it will be beautiful. But top c-mount glass was quite expensive even before BMPCC announcement. Now the prices will only keep rising. But I guess the prices will be acceptable for the professional filmmakers..

June 1, 2013 at 4:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

PeterK

Perfectly said. I'd rather reward Blackmagic but think they should get away from M43 completely. Obviously there are more Canon people (and lenses out there). This crop factor talk is always annoying to me; why could they just have a lens format that's equivalent to what everyone likes?

June 1, 2013 at 8:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Yes, and the cameras should be free!!! And you should work for free!!! No one should make a profit!!!

June 2, 2013 at 1:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James

Hope Mr.JOE can CLARIFY this issue :-) .. I definitely am considering going the speedbooster route with this camera

May 31, 2013 at 6:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miguel

Basically this is a s16 sensor camera, crop factors are confusing since you need a reference point, some people mention crop factors based on a full sensor, others from a s35 perspective, etc. This camera works for me, 12mm is the widest I usually get on this type of sensor. You guys should relax and do some simple math to understand which lens you need to buy to emulate what you are used to shoot.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marcus

Marcus you are right! This is a S16 camera for people who want to shoot S16. If you are still talking about crop factor compared to a 5D than you shouldn't be wasting your time. This is not the camera for you. If your an experience shooter or were exposed to it in film school just a few years ago than you are salivating and ready. On the other hand if a canon dslr is your intro into cinema cameras than this is most likely not your camera and please stop crowding up the forums with crop factor posts and use google for s16.

June 1, 2013 at 10:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

JEF

Get out of here! That footage looks brilliant! So exciting.

May 31, 2013 at 6:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

+1!

June 1, 2013 at 12:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

nahh nothing special. so sorry.

June 1, 2013 at 11:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Samuele

Looks like cheap video. terrible plastic skin tones...

June 2, 2013 at 5:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jerome

jerome,

do you use the 5D3?

June 3, 2013 at 12:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

@ RebelPhoton Right on! Every buck you spent is a decision you make. Conscious bro! Thanks for sharing.

May 31, 2013 at 6:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bah, I wanted to like this footage but it is just not exciting me. Why pick locations that still clip your highlights when you are trying to show off the dynamic range? Why are the interior shots so warm and why have the magenta cast to the skin? I know it fits in a pocket but please put it on a tripod so I can see what the image actually looks like! Come on!

I want to love this little camera but the footage looks like amateur dslr tests from a few years ago. The 5d raw footage looked so much better than this video... come on black magic, give the camera to someone who can make it sing like an angel! Stack the deck in your favor! Maybe the guy who won the zakuto shootout with the gh2...

May 31, 2013 at 6:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

To be fair these are just his personal tests playing around. He is plenty capable but hes also a working DP, so a lot of this stuff is in between shoots. Check out the previous video. There is plenty of dynamic range.

May 31, 2013 at 7:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I think this footage is of poor quality and should not have been released. It makes the camera system and the DP look bad. ALWAYS present the best quality.

June 2, 2013 at 1:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James

I'd much rather see this kind of torture test than perfect conditions on a tripod. From this I can see what the movement and rolling shutter qualities are as well as latitude and colour rendition. It tells me more than pretty pictures do.

May 31, 2013 at 8:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Stu Mannion

Fair enough. I just wasn't getting much info watching him rack focus on his friends faces to make a decision on the rolling shutter. I'd prefer to have it on a tripod and have a specific rolling shutter test with vertical man made lines the scene (preferably brick and fences to test the moire), showing how it handles a deep depth of field with its widest lens. It also looks a little soft compared to the footage I have been looking at recently. Is that a result of him shooting at the wrong ISO or is this the best I can hope from for this cute little thing?

I'd like them to at least TRY to have their DP market this thing to me. I mean look what Luke Neumann and Andrew Reid have done for the mk3 raw videos! Their footage looks great! Sure they were just doing tests with unstable firmware but you wouldn't catch them releasing shots as weak as this. EVER. I am so excited about the canon raw videos I make all my friends watch them. Even my mom could spot the difference and was blown away!

That's why I am saying they should stack the deck in their favor and make this thing look as amazing as possible. I want them to blow canon out of the water and shake up the digital world but if this is their marketing strategy then I am worried because not all of us can spot DR and rolling shutter on organic subjects and blown out windows. Lets just say I'm not calling my mom to have her look at this footage.

May 31, 2013 at 9:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

This is just some informal scenes with a variety of different lenses. Not sure what you were expecting but BM doesn't need to impress people by doing fancy polished videos. This camera is going to literally fly off the shelves.

May 31, 2013 at 11:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Markus

I sure hope so!

June 1, 2013 at 12:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

When its out, rent one and do every test you like. However, the people I've sent this video to all instantly recognized the power of the camera, especially with those SLR Magic lenses on it. Like a previous commentator this footage showed me far more than a plain test would do.

June 1, 2013 at 3:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

Agreed. I'm not terribly impressed with the footage. I know John is a talented DP and very busy. But this video solidified my decision. I'm canceling my BMPCC and continuing to shoot on my 5D MK3. I know it's a great camera and will mature into a better camera. I just can't justify the cost with how pleased I am shooting 5D raw. I don't feel the BMCC is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of the ML 5D at this point and if the the final result is awful I'll still know it was the artist and not the hardware. :)

cheers

June 1, 2013 at 3:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Garrett

I definitely see your point. The main thing I am really looking forward to in the BMCC is the global shutter (even if it costs some DR). It will be nice to finally kill that whip pan jello roll and the post stabilization sheering. I don't even know why I am so interested in this DSLR BM raw race as I have been working with RED cameras for all my last projects. I think it is just the idea of having a camera in your pocket that is as powerful as the big boys that calls to me. I've seen videos of the 5dmk3 giving the scarlet a serious run for its money.

And if 1080p raw (or higher) does appear on the lower end canon cameras things will get really crazy. Best to not underestimate those magic lantern wizards. This little camera isn't even out yet and another month for the ML guys might open some even more amazing sorceries.

June 1, 2013 at 5:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

What's the hold-up on the 4K footage?

May 31, 2013 at 7:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

matthewx

i didn't like the interior footage... it looks like a t2i with increased sharpness; the skin tones scream DSLR and there's no visible gain in dynamic range; then again we have no idea what the location looked like... john tells us that it was very dim lit... if that is the case then the dynamic range seems quite impressive! in the exteriors this little camera really excels... great dynamic range, sharpness, good color rendition, absolutely impressive for a camera this size and in this price range (it would still be impressive if it was 3x the size and the price!).

thank you blackmagic, john brawley and all you guys at NFS that take time to keep us posted on these goodies!

May 31, 2013 at 7:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Raw just isn't important to me... but a pocket-sized Prores shooter? Absolutely! Can't wait to get my hands on one of these! Couldn't be more tired of DSLR codec footage.

I'd love to see a really solid 35mm adapter for this for those times you really need it. I'll take the light loss to be able to fully use my lenses. We used to shoot with the redrockmicro cinema adapter, and I'd LOVE to see an adapter that just clicks natively into a micro 4/3 camera.

May 31, 2013 at 8:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

David S.

Im so glad this company is making their own mark in this industry. I like the look of their cams and what we can do with them. Im so sick of Canon 8 bit color scheme. Throw a metabones adapter on this thing to open it up plus Pro-Res is surely the way to go. Why are so many using the crop factor compared to a Canon Full frame.?Wouldnt Super35 be more proper?

May 31, 2013 at 9:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

joe

Remember guys- crop factor is a marketing tool and has no place in cinema- the proliferation of DSLR's started that form of thought. A lens is a lens is a lens. An 85 is an 85, no matter what image plane it is in front of. You get the same angle of view. You're just cropped in more- but the perspective stays the same. When people say things like "oh, it's a 3x crop, that means your 50mm is a 150mm" please rudely correct them and make them feel bad, because that's not true.

May 31, 2013 at 9:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

john jeffries

Field of view completely changes. Why act like putting the same lens on different size sensors does nothing? How does this actually help you when you're on set? Crop factor was created by still photographers and still photography companies, but it can apply to video just as well. Again, you give me crop factor compared to full-frame for any number of lenses, and I know exactly what they look like in a given space without any fancy tools or director's viewfinders. Wouldn't you say that's helpful?

May 31, 2013 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

You do realize that "same field of view" but "cropped more" is EXACTLY the same thing as "smaller field of view," right? To the extent that (under certain ideal conditions) an image with a 70 degree FOV cropped to a 50 degree FOV is exactly indistinguishable from an uncropped image with a 50 degree FOV.

You need to know both the focal length and the "sensor size" to determine what the field of view is; neither number can answer this question on its own.

You're right though: "crop factor" confuses this issue more than it helps. It's just that you seem to have fallen victim to this confusion yourself.

May 31, 2013 at 11:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

cows

LOL

June 1, 2013 at 8:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James

I think the point that John was trying to make was that the characteristics of the lens remains the same, no matter what size sensor it's in front of. Yes, your FOV will be smaller, but an 85mm lens is still going to make background images appear closer, etc. So if you like using that 50mm lens on your 5d for your medium shots, you're still going to like it on your BMCC for the same shot. You're just going to need to put the camera a little farther away.

June 2, 2013 at 12:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gavin

An 85mm is NOT going to compress the background the same on a crop and a full frame. Distance compression depends on field of view and distance from subject ONLY.

A 50mm on a 1.6 crop will look identical to an 80mm on full frame (perspective, field of view, distance compression), at the same distance from the subject. The ONLY difference is depth of field.

This is why crop factor is useful - the only optical factor which depends entirely on focal length (and of course aperture and focal point) is DoF. In every other way, (crop factor) * (focal length) is a totally correct way to think about lenses.

June 3, 2013 at 7:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Luke

I totally agree with all points and it makes me sad that so many people still get this wrong, as it is pretty much EXACTLY THE WRONG CONCLUSION to draw.

That said, the thing I don't like about "crop factor" is that it actually provides no information at all unless a person actually includes what format it's a factor OF. For instance, from your post it's easy to infer that the 1.6 number is relative to a full frame sensor, but people often leave that information out. Even if we assume that crop factor is always relative to a full frame sensor by default, it's still kind of stupid:

If I want to figure out the field of view of a given lens and sensor size, I can either solve for it directly, or I can use the "crop factor," which actually means I'm solving the same equation, just multiplying by the field of view of a full frame sensor for no reason, and then dividing by it immediately thereafter. Unless I have some reason to be worrying about full frame sensors, this really makes no sense: in fact I think it leads to precisely the sort of misconception that gavin and john are making, as it suggests that you NEED more information.

If you assume perfect focus, field of view tells you literally everything.

June 3, 2013 at 11:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

cows

Seems as though no matter how short the lens may be it still shoots like a long one is on. The footage kind of reminds me of some GH2 hacks that make the camera seem extra jittery. Wondering if thats caused by pushing the sensor to the limit or the because of the crop factor? What are some short zooms with image stabilization that could work on this camera? For doc work stabilization is needed more so than dynamic range. (though I'm not complaining) in that department this little camera shines for sure. Thanks

May 31, 2013 at 9:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Marino

its jittery because the 25 0.95 is long on the camera and its very small and light, being handheld.. sensor is fine.. its a low-light test - johns other footage uses the pana 12-35 with IS.. its smooth

May 31, 2013 at 10:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

stefano

Nice. Glad to hear IS works works on some lenses. Thanks...This camera is extremely interesting to me for the fact it's low key and delivers such an amazing image. Good things to come for us all thanks to the BM folks. Can't imagine what the 2nd and 3rd generation cameras will be like. If I was any of the "big guys" I'd have a close eye on this company. BM can do some serious damage in the market, It's gotta be shaking some things up.

May 31, 2013 at 11:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anthony Marino

Is there much barrel distortion with those wide-angled m4/3 lenses?

May 31, 2013 at 10:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

von

Probably there's a post out there but could you recommend me good lenses for this camera?

May 31, 2013 at 11:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Premini

Is it certain 5D3 video is better than this? This is friggin beautiful. I want side by side, in the same screen, comparisons!

June 1, 2013 at 12:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

5D raw is cool is an awesome option.
But it has a specific cartoony color look that would stand out in a line-up.

June 1, 2013 at 2:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

VinceGortho

You mean the pastel look that Canon DSLR's have?

June 1, 2013 at 1:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

The 5d Mark II, III and the 50D all have the Canon colors. I'm not saying it's better or worse but the Black magic cameras and the Canons have really different colors. There's more yellow tint in the BMCC for exemple. I have a 50D and some good lenses, so for me it's a no-brainer. I will just keep my 50D for raw work and use other Canon cameras for other work. But if you don't have a camera it's a much tougher choice which one to buy.

June 1, 2013 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Martin

Ok, so will there be a BMPCC, and BM4k, hack?

It's odd to me to see the beauty of the water in the background of the shot of the 2.5k camera, and see how great it looks, then read that people are saying it doesn't look so great.

June 2, 2013 at 12:48AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

@Gene: Why would there be a hack for the blackmagic cameras? What is it you want them to do that they don't?

June 3, 2013 at 7:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Luke

There is question about RAW---at least I thought there was.

June 3, 2013 at 7:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

just finished reading all the comments! its nice to see other people excited about this camera :)

Its gonna replace my t3i for sure

June 1, 2013 at 3:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This baby is no-brainer. It's S16, so what?

June 1, 2013 at 4:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Natt

Joe said: "We’ll still have to wait and see if Blackmagic can deliver RAW for this camera when it’s released" Just to be clear, you're talking and uncompressed raw, and not cinemaDMG, correct? This camera will have Cinema DMG if I understand right. What I'm not sure of is if it would be possible with even the fastest SD cards to support raw 1920x1080. I guess it depends on how many bits right? Fastest card I have is the Sandisk 95mb/s and that won't be fast enough. If the card could actually sustain 95mb/s, at 24fps, that means 3.96mb per frame... which is why I think this camera will be stuck with cinemaDMG. Unless a faster SD card comes out.

June 1, 2013 at 5:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

And when I say 'stuck', I mean... holy crap, this camera is awesome and CinemaDMG is great! I'll probably mostly use ProRes, but I can't wait to experiment with CinemaDMG either. I just wanted to be sure we're talking about the same thing and talk about the actual limitations of this camera - one being that the fastest SD cards are currently slower than the fastest Compact Flash.

June 1, 2013 at 5:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

They didn't have RAW working yet at NAB and they weren't positive whether the camera will ship with it or whether it will come later. CinemaDNG is basically a wrapper of sorts, but RAW is RAW (unless it's not). The spec currently listed for this camera is lossless CinemaDNG, which is a maximum compression of 2.5:1. Blackmagic either has to do what is already in the spec presented by Adobe, or they have to do something new and hope Adobe is fine with it. Otherwise they can't use CinemaDNG, because Adobe controls what happens to it, even though it's an "open" standard.

June 1, 2013 at 6:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

It's said to be lossless compressed RAW, similar to the gopro 3 or Red cameras. The file sizes will be smaller hence the data transfer rate will be also. Enough for the fastest SD cards to do the job. You're confusing uncompressed with RAW and they are not the same thing. This for me is a big selling point, RAW video in manageable file sizes.

June 1, 2013 at 8:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Neill Jones

Not really correct. Red and GoPro use a LOSSY compression, whereas the BMD implementation of compression on the pocket cinema camera will be be LOSSLESS. There is a difference.

jb

June 3, 2013 at 5:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John Brawley

This means that BMPCC doesnt film RAW?

June 1, 2013 at 2:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miha

Not yet.

June 1, 2013 at 9:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

But it will film RAW 100%?

June 2, 2013 at 4:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miha

Yes, as far as I know.

June 2, 2013 at 5:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

Just one more thing. If you buy MFT lens like 50 mm olympus will that lens be on BMPCC stil 50 mm?

June 2, 2013 at 5:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miha

A lens is a lens. 50mm is always 50mm, it's just how wide or close the lens looks on a given sensor. 50mm will be very long on the Pocket camera. Check out the Abelcine FOV calculator, and choose Super 16mm to stand in for the Pocket camera.

June 2, 2013 at 5:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

I like this camera for so many reasons. It's tiny and shoots cinematic images! Remember the Flip Cam? This is the death knell to crappy small HD cameras! I was lucky enough to be at NAB and hold this camera.I wanted it the first time I held it. I already have some nice MFT lenses. The Lumix 12-35 and 35-100. Both 2.8 with O.I.S plus the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95. Knowing the camera has an active mount makes my lenses I already own for my GH3 even more versatile. O.I.S with this camera is going to be awesome! Heck I probably wont shoot video anymore with the GH3. The applications for this camera is endless and the price makes it a no brainier. I think it's more revolutionary than the Cinema Camera. Remember when RED wanted to make the Scarlet a camera for soccer moms? I got a good laugh out of that one, but this camera is kind of what that idea was. Cinematic images. Small and light weight and for what is does cheap. Native lenses that keep the weight down and give you advanced features. The list of positives is huge. Bring it! I cant wait.

June 1, 2013 at 3:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

i want that camera but didnt like that video ive seen hacked gh2 or even gh3 footage look and feel way better than that dint see good dynamic range either ...

June 1, 2013 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sebastian roland

After looking at the BMPCC footages...I can't help but to think ML 5D RAW hack.....really piss on the BMPCC fire.....DR is cool and the cost of the camera is nice....but a crop sensor can never replace a full frame camera.....by the way the video did the camera no justice.

June 1, 2013 at 10:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Al

You make me laugh.

June 2, 2013 at 4:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Hi guys,

Nice shots, BUT why no live sound ?

I am not interested in a pocket camera without microphone. That's no life.
Michel

June 6, 2013 at 3:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michel

It has a microphone. Sound was not enabled when I was shooting with this firmware.

jb

June 9, 2013 at 7:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John Brawley

No micro - what's that. Why always these compromises?

June 6, 2013 at 5:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sadly, the BMCC camera footage shake reminds me of videos shot with Iphones...

June 6, 2013 at 8:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Russel

Brilliant colour depth though. he challenge all BM cameras will have is that you cant just buy them and start shooting, I did a cost analysis and you need so much more than just the camera compared to DSLRs. Having said that, if I had the money, it would easily be my choice for feature work.

June 7, 2013 at 1:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

in your opinion what are the additional pieces that you would need to be up to speed?

June 9, 2013 at 8:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You could get up and running with a BMPCC for, like, $2,000. That would cover extra batteries, SD cards, and a set of old prime lenses with an adapter. That's not bad considering what this camera can do.

June 20, 2013 at 1:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob G

i still think 13 stops is a stretch, the blacks appear crushed, zero detail to my eyes? i could be vimeo's the culprit.... i hope.

June 11, 2013 at 8:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

tom

Why don't they have someone do something serious with this camera. It looks like this camera has a lot of potential, but everything shot with it so far has the production value of an off-the-cuff iPhone shoot. They'd probably have a lot more preorders if they got Philip Bloom or Vincent Laforet on board. (Unless they aren't wanting tons of preorders due to limited supply.)

June 14, 2013 at 10:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Unimpressed with the skin-tones and noise level in mid-town/shadows.

July 7, 2013 at 12:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sorry but i just don't see it... really just looks like good video to me... where's the "filmic" look i've heard so much of?

July 21, 2013 at 2:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

tom

Looks great - obvious some of, most of the comments above are from hobbyist at best. This sample footage just gives an example of what the camera can do. I am sure there was no serious color correction done in the footage. Its a tool people, not a save all. You still have to work you know.

Thanks for the footage. Great video!

August 7, 2013 at 2:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM