July 30, 2013

BulletProof, Red Giant's Powerful Media Management App, Now Available

bulletproofMedia management can be one of the more irritating facets of filmmaking, especially in the digital age. While various DIT tools exist for the purpose of transcoding, creation of proxies, LUT application, on-set grading, etc, many of the more effective solutions are way beyond our budgets. For the past several months, Red Giant's BulletProof, a comprehensive suite of media management tools, has been in a public beta in order to work out the kinks in the software. Today, BulletProof 1.0 has finally been released into the filmmaking world. Check it out:

Here's Red Giant's launch video for BulletProof:

And here's the awesome quickstart guide, which highlights just how versatile BulletProof can be:

And here's are several in-depth guides to getting started with BulletProof:

Step #1: Import

Step #2: Organize

Step #3: Review

Step #4: Refine

Step #5: Export

One thing to keep in mind is that BulletProof is currently limited in its compatibility, both with codec support and operating systems. At this point, the program is only available for the Mac OS, although a Windows version is purportedly in the works.

Additionally, if you're looking to use BulletProof right away with anything other than DSLRs and GoPro cameras, you might be out of luck, as it currently only supports the import and export of h.264 and ProRes. With that said, there is an update roadmap in place that will offer free upgrades to the program giving full support for the most requested codecs. So, if you want BulletProof to work with your workflow, let Red Giant know and chances are that they can make it happen.

All in all, BulletProof looks to be a fantastic solution for folks who need a practical and cost-effective solution to the issues of digital media management. BulletProof is $199 for the full version, and $99 for the academic version. If you're interested, head on over to Red Giant's site and check it out.

What do you guys think? Is Bulletproof the future of low-budget media management? What codecs would you most like to see incorporated into the software in a future update? Let us know in the comments!

Link: Red Giant BulletProof 1.0 - Red Giant

I'd like to see a reporting feature with thumbnail, shooting duration, codec, camera...
I'd also like to see AVCHD and XDCAM support as well as Alexa and RED support.

Silverstack is really nice, but miss support for a lot of codec too.

July 30, 2013 at 3:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

nforest

Agreed, I had the chance to talk to the developers while here in Portland and they seemed a bit uncertain about RED and Arri Raw, due to licensing costs. Which unfortunately makes bulletproof useless for those of us shooting on higher end than DSLR cameras.

July 30, 2013 at 6:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Thom

What other tools are you guys using for ingesting? I'd like to find something that can backup to multiple places during the video import.

July 30, 2013 at 4:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ben Prater

Thats the first stage of Bulletproof's import process.

July 31, 2013 at 5:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Since singing up to Adobe Creative Cloud I've been using Prelude to do a lot of my ingesting, It can handle the simple act of taking almost any Camera format and copying to numerous destinations, with the option to transcode to a plethora of editing formats and verify the copy. Worth a look if your already subscribed to CC.

July 31, 2013 at 8:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Luke Ogden

Shotput Pro by Imagine Products handles nearly all formats and backs up to multiple drives. Doesn't do more than help download the data off the card and confirm a good download.

July 30, 2013 at 7:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bob Willis

I'm still trying to figure out the difference between this and prelude, i am not a smart man.

July 30, 2013 at 9:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

From my experience:

BP offers a friendly cataloging UI (akin to Adobe Lightroom), automatically handles file structure for media organization and offers color correction tools, like a 3-way color corrector and LUT support.

Prelude offers thorough XMP metadata logging, solid controls for transcribing, commenting and subclipping and rough cut sequence assembly. Oh, and Adobe Anywhere, if you're into that. In general, it plays nicer with Premiere Pro (for obvious reasons).

They both offer tools for ingesting media to multiple locations, reencoding, file renaming and basic metadata tagging.

August 1, 2013 at 10:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

CinemaDNG for all those Blackmagic and MagicLantern users.

July 31, 2013 at 6:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

I signed up for the Beta as soon as I could after seeing it at NAB (and getting a sweet t-shirt from RG), used it, and was active in the forums. But with that said, I've left it, and have no plans to purchase it.

Prelude CC does bit-by-bit comparison when ingesting to multiple sources, with batch renaming and metadata presets. And you get greater control over the file structure. That's exactly what I wanted out of an ingestion tool. The one thing that BP does that Prelude doesn't that I care about is color treatment - but the color is baked in or a LUT. I'd like to see the color embedded as metadata and read natively by the Primary window in Colorista once the footage was inside Premiere/FCP/etc.

Until then, there's nothing in BP that really makes me want to use it over all the things that Prelude does better, namely functionality for comments and transcribing and XMP metadata support. That XMP metadata is huge for me when editing in Premiere, so for now, BP is the tool for me.

Red Giant is without a doubt my favorite plug-in company. BulletProof just isn't the tool for me—Prelude certainly is.

August 1, 2013 at 10:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM