August 28, 2013

Experimental Meets High-Speed: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Phantom Miro-Shot SALIENCE

Filmmaker Paul Trillo (full disclosure: a fellow Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective member, and also my former roommate) used chromakey suits to novel effect in his music video Lonely, and now he's back with a new experimental short that finds clever uses for chromakey suits -- as well as a high-speed Phantom Miro camera. Check out SALIENCE, an experimental short:

Here's a brief look at the making-of, courtesy of our brand new No Film School YouTube channel. Our nifty intro animation is also, fittingly enough, courtesy Paul:

We are soft-launching our original video channel, where we'll be releasing new interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes videos, so please head on over and subscribe on YouTube to get early access to new video content! And pardon the dust as we build -- again, it's a "soft launch."

The Phantom Miro Paul had didn't come with CineMags -- which nullifies much of the advantage of shooting with an untethered small camera -- but the idea is that the Miro allows for much more operator-friendly high-speed shooting at lower rental rates and with less of a support crew. There are some more details on the shoot courtesy our friends at AbelCine.

Links:

That was beautifully weird

August 28, 2013 at 8:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

James

Typo: "had didn't"

Very interesting use of the chromakey suits.

August 28, 2013 at 9:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The one Paul had did not come with cinemags. It's correct. :)

August 28, 2013 at 11:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

AMAZING :) Cool to se NFS getting creative too :)

August 28, 2013 at 10:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

And now an NFS own YouTube Channel. Just remember who brought it up.

August 28, 2013 at 11:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

We've been planning a YouTube channel since well before I started at NFS in early 2012. :)

August 28, 2013 at 12:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

No, no. I invented the concept. And the YouTube. (I share the Internet glory with Al Gore. So there)
Seriously, this is long overdue.

August 28, 2013 at 4:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

I really enjoyed this! The behind the scenes was nice too.

August 28, 2013 at 11:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

"Get to da CHOPPA!"

August 28, 2013 at 3:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sam Biel

This is unrelated - but is the comment section of the "new digital cinema camera" thread working for everyone?

August 28, 2013 at 5:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

it's closed because someone found out what camera it is and posted a link. If I'd repost it here, they'd delete it. They got caught, that's the way they're dealing with it...

August 28, 2013 at 5:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

Just trying to keep it a surprise. But feel free to post.

August 28, 2013 at 6:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You voted '+1'.
Joe Marine
Camera Department

the guy obviously wasn't free to post ;)

August 28, 2013 at 6:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

Oh, I thought it was the case Koo sabotaging Marine due to some sort of internal NFS squabble.

August 28, 2013 at 10:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Hi there, I'm planning to do a music video for a friends band and I wanted to use a similar concept but I have zero experience in chroma suits/key. Is there a good tutorial on this subject out there? Pardon my ignorance but my main doubt is how do you key the subject out and still get the background the subject is covering up? Do you have to shoot two images, one with the subject and one without, to get the background information? Thanks

August 29, 2013 at 6:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Martim Ferreira

Yes, as with doing pretty much any vfx shot, you'll have to take what is called a background plate with no subjects.If you watch the behind the scenes it might give better insight into the process. It's also important that you chose a suit that is different than any colors in your background. Blue ended up being the best color suit for this video since we weren't dealing with any blue skies. Good luck!

August 29, 2013 at 9:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

PaulT

Hi there, I located your blog by means of Google at exactly the same time as searching for a related matter, your internet site got here up, it seems to be excellent. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

September 28, 2013 at 3:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM