September 28, 2013

Watch 10 Screenwriting Tips from 'Runner Runner' Scribe Brian Koppelman in 60 Seconds

Brian KoppelmanSince the introduction of Vine, we've seen the 6-second video looping app used for art, inspired memes, and even an attempt at a feature film. Vine begs the question: what can you do in 6 seconds of video? Screenwriter Brian Koppelman realized that 6 seconds is just enough time to offer a clear and concise screenwriting tip. Plus, at only 6 seconds a clip, you can make a bunch of Vines with screenwriting tips in quick succession - Koppelman is up to 26 so far. So, take 60 seconds and check out the first 10 screenwriting tips from Koppelman below.

Just in case you don't recognize the name Brian Koppelman, he and his screenwriting partner David Levien have written the screenplays for such films as Rounders, Ocean's ThirteenThe Girlfriend Experience and the upcoming Runner Runner. He's no screenwriting guru -- he has some choice words for them in the Vines below. You can follow Koppelman on Twitter to get his latest Vines, but here's a quick introduction to his no-nonsense screenwriting tips:

Which 6-second screenwriting tip from Brian Koppelman resonates with you? Do Koppelman's tips inspire you to write your screenplay? Share your thoughts and your own tips in the comments.

Link: Brian Koppelman's Vine Screenwriting Tips -- Twitter

[via Indiewire]

Did a screenwriting guru steal this guy's girlfriend or something?

September 28, 2013 at 2:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ssminnow

I like it.

September 28, 2013 at 3:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

I dont take advice from people that tell me not to take advice from certain people

September 28, 2013 at 3:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

the contradiction

I take advice from anybody as long as I think it's good advice. I collected screenwriting advice from all kind of sources, stuff that wasn't clear to me before and that helped me where I was stuck.

September 28, 2013 at 3:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

>never take advice from gurus

>acts like a guru

Loving it. NFS, you have done it again.

September 29, 2013 at 5:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tyler

For being so anti book, classes, guru so far he hasn't said anything that my my screenwriting teacher and/or the author of the book we used in class didn't say.

September 28, 2013 at 3:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene Locke

that u paid lots of money for. I think u are missing the point of what he is saying. hey but people learn through different ways

September 29, 2013 at 10:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

rob calico

Actually, I took a community college course here in Oklahoma(mostly on grants) that gave me access to equipment, studio space, and knowledge I never would have found floundering around on my own (having done that for years previously). So, what relatively small amount of money I did spend, I consider a good investment

September 30, 2013 at 5:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene Locke

Good, clear and practical advices for anyone thinking about writing!

September 28, 2013 at 4:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I think he needs to add "find yourself a great co-writer fast"... "find yourself a great co-writer fast"...

September 29, 2013 at 10:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

I stopped after lesson 1. Robert Mckee's ''Story' is not bullshit. Story structure matters and is not something most can just pick up by watching Life of Pi. You need a base education first, then watch all you favorites and make an educated decision why they are great.

September 29, 2013 at 1:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

t

I agree!! McKee is excellent along with Lajos Egri's Art of Dramatic writing is really all you need to learn the basics of structure. Plots can be ripped off and character... well character is intuitive, you either get humans or you don't.
I do agree with Brian reading screenplays as often as possible and any other genre novel writing (Elmore Leonard eg.) for specific projects is mandatory.

September 29, 2013 at 1:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dan

Great, smart and spot on. I say this as a writer (quietly) and former teacher and script doctor.... it's all about passion, practise and QUALITY.
the rest (formatting - 10 minutes to learn) (style - write - you'll get your own) (business - no-one knows) cannot be taught.
look forward to more 6 second words of wisdom!

October 3, 2013 at 5:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Find yourself a writing partner who has, fast! and then write Runner Runner. LOL

October 6, 2013 at 9:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Bill

Little late to the party here... But I think a lot of people are hearing things they simply don't want to hear. Brian's trying to say that there's no one way to write. We're all different in how we function AND think creatively, end of story. The only thing he's trying to do for you is to encourage you to push on with your craft... By the way, what's Mckee's latest screenplay? Oh yeah, he's too busy making money 'teaching' you all.

August 10, 2014 at 11:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark

It is interesting that McKee has never written anything worth mentioning, but the same can be said for Stella Adler or Lee Strasberg. Some people are just better at coaching.

Agree on the value of McKee's book.

Also agree that most people don't want to hear that there's no secret, other than consistent hard work.

November 24, 2015 at 11:37AM