September 26, 2013

DaVinci Resolve 10 'Magically' Fixes Fringing in Magic Lantern RAW Video

Not too long ago, I posted about my post process for Magic Lantern RAW video, which relies heavily on Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve. This is in contrast to some Ginger HDR processes that allow you to stay completely in the Adobe realm, no proxies needed. Many would still like to employ Resolve in their color correction, however, since it's a very powerful industry standard tool. One significant problem with the Magic Lantern/Resolve proposition was a type of 'pink fringing' artifacting that occurred in areas of high contrast. Now Magic Lantern-shooting Resolve users may rejoice: from the looks of things, the newly released(-ish) Davinci Resolve 10 fixes these fringing problems outright.

I've read a few explanations and speculations about what causes pink fringing -- which, it should be emphasized, hardly appears (if at all) when using Adobe Camera RAW workflows instead of Resolve. Dave Thomas, who created one of the videos cited in my own walkthrough, had this to say on YouTube:

The pink casts around the edges is a known issue caused by the black level setting on recorded files and has been changing between ML builds - last I checked it was no completely fixed yet in firmware and raw2cdng. The 5dmkII (but not mk3) moire and aliasing I agree is a problem that Adobe RAW handles somewhat better, though the Resolve Full ($1000) when used with a GPU supposedly has a sharpen mask that improves.

The color correction visible in my video (and on its own here) used a workaround explained very quickly by YouTube user Tekazurik, posted on that same Dave Thomas video:

There are tutorials online on how to remove the pink fringing, but the short version is to create a serial node and then a layer node. Set the top node's saturation down to 0 and the bottom node's Y gain to 0.01. Now you've separated the color data out. Make sure the layer mixer node's composite mode is set to add so the image looks normal. Then go to the bottom node with just the color data and set the sharpen radius up until the fringing goes away.

Some users, however, felt this workaround was too much of a compromise to be considered a viable alternative to an Adobe Camera RAW workflow. (Even though appending nodes in Resolve makes applying 'de-fringing' corrections to many clips very fast, it isn't really ideal). More recently I'd downloaded Resolve 10 Lite, mostly to play around with its new NLE features a bit. It didn't even dawn on me to try looking at some of my previously shot ML RAW material until this post in the Magic Lantern forums by user ted ramasola:

I have seen the other threads announcing the availability of resolve 10 , I decided to carefully word the title of mine to indicate it solve the pink fringing as it is a major issue that made others avoid resolve and use acr instead. Also, some users have no idea about the pink fringing at all and what caused it. Hopefully this will catch their attention.

To prove it to myself, I re-exported some clips out of Resolve 10, being careful to match the settings I employed with Resolve 9 to create my original proxy files. That means that these are grabs of the same frames of the same shots, both encoded in ProRes Proxy, with the same white balance, etc. No color correction has been applied to any of these -- only white balance (5600) and decoding color space (Rec. 709) had to be set.

Be sure to 'open in new tabs' for better comparison:

The first thing spelled out by stacking these 'before/afters' and toggling between them: the fringing was a lot more pervasive than I'd originally realized. It definitely made its presence known previously, but it only really stuck out to an offensive extent when manifesting in tiny dots and spots. Now it's striking to see how inherent the problem was to the imagery, without corrective steps taken.

I think this development is a very exciting one for Magic Lantern shooters -- as far as I can tell, things just keep getting better and better. The ability to use a powerhouse like Resolve without having to worry about fringing workarounds is just another step forward. Thanks, as always, to all the magicians at Magic Lantern (and Blackmagic Design).

How will this upgrade change the way you work with your ML RAW? If you were previously on the fence about using Resolve due to such fringing issues -- does this seal the deal for you? How have you fared with your own fringing workarounds?

Link: Download DaVinci Resolve 10 Beta -- Blackmagic Support Page

[via Magic Lantern Forums]

I can't tell the difference between the photos.

September 26, 2013 at 8:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Neil

blackmagic-lantern is a company I'd buy a camera from, these guys need to join forces!

September 26, 2013 at 8:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

dave

Can't see a difference either. One is slightly darker?

September 26, 2013 at 11:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

billy c

Hey guys, try right clicking and opening the links in new tabs (each still image links to its full-res version)

September 26, 2013 at 11:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

On the third picture, look at the black bag on the floor and compare. It's purple fringe is very visible there. I agree things are getting better and better for raw workflow :) Next we'll see how Premiere will handle CinemaDNG natively on Premiere.

September 27, 2013 at 2:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jean-Philippe Angers

In the next update, in two weeks, PremierePro gets support for:

- CinemaDNG
- Proxy linking !!! _ it was about time after 10 years
- direct link to Speedgrade

I'm afraid that many users will be pushed to Speedgrade as the workflow will be rly damn easy.

Also in the Lite version of Resolve noise reduction is disabled, so many shots where you want to raise shadows/exposure are not workable.

September 27, 2013 at 4:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kuky

there have been a lot of workarounds to solve/minimize the fringing-thing in Resolve9, but rarely someone named the real point - the debayer-algorithm in resolve9 (lite) is poor - comparing with f.i. adobe.

September 27, 2013 at 4:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I couldn't see the difference either on the post, but opening the two shots in separate tabs and flicking back and forward between them shows it VERY clearly. A big difference, almost looks like the 'pink' versions had some sort of weak peaking burned into the shots!

September 27, 2013 at 5:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Can you not fix that with any color correction tool?

September 27, 2013 at 11:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pat

The fringing doesn't seem to be as much of an issue (or an issue at all) with other color correction software. This news is specifically geared for those ML shooters who want to work in Resolve

September 27, 2013 at 11:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

Oh ok, thanks. I'm a Nikon shooter, so I'm not utilizing ML, but I was just curious.

September 27, 2013 at 11:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pat

No problem! (Since you're a Nikon shooter, I can tell you a dirty little secret of the Canon/ML stuff I've done so far: it's all shot with Nikon glass :)

September 27, 2013 at 1:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

I do the same thing!!! Lovin the old MF lenses

September 29, 2013 at 2:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hjfilmspeed

We recently did a test at my production shop using a MKII and the BMCC EF and this pink fringing was killing me! I thought it was a moire issue. I upgraded to Resolve 10 and everything seemed to look better but I could not put my finger on WHY. Thanks so much for this awesome post!

September 27, 2013 at 11:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Trevr Merchant

Sure thing! You were getting fringing issues like this on the BMCC?

September 27, 2013 at 1:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

Nope, just on the 5DMkII.

September 27, 2013 at 6:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Trevr Merchant

Gotcha. Yeah from the looks of things BMD's treatment of ML CDNG has finally matched that of their own BMCCs :)

September 28, 2013 at 12:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

Has anyone tried comparing 9 with the node correction vs 10 with out? I wondering which one produces the best detail.

September 29, 2013 at 2:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hjfilmspeed

I was wonderin the same thing and did a few tests. 9 & 10 produces the same exact same quality (detail) Resolve 10 just solves the fringing.

October 4, 2013 at 9:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Andre Meyer

Hi!
When you start to balance a shot in Da Vinci, which settings are better: REC 709 or BMD Films? The difference it's huge and the results are vey different. I need and advice with this, please. Thanks everybody!

October 29, 2013 at 1:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM