November 13, 2013

10 Awesome New Features in Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve 10

Last week, Blackmagic Design released version 10 of its world-renowned grading application, DaVinci Resolve. Beyond some of the more obvious enhancements that will benefit independent filmmakers, most notably the fact that the free version of Resolve now supports 4K content, the folks at Blackmagic have introduced some really astounding and innovative new features that are sure to make a difference in your color grading workflow. SpliceNPost, a New York post production house, has put together a comprehensive video overview of the best new features in Resolve 10. Check it out:

Here are ten new features in DaVinci Resolve that you can't afford to miss:

One of the most surprising features in version 10 of Resolve is the fully featured "Edit" section that now sits between the "Media" and "Color" windows at the bottom of the application. Resolve is now absolutely capable of being an efficient online editing system, complete with most of the basic editing and audio features that you would find in just about any NLE. Of course, most people will still want to use their NLE of choice for offline editing and just use Resolve to transcode, color, and conform, but it's nice to know that those tools are available directly in Resolve, just in case editorial changes need to be made after the coloration process.

Another new feature in Resolve 10 -- one that is deceptively simple, yet paramount for effective color work -- is the ability to split screen selected clips. Features like this make the process of matching shots easier than ever before. Blackmagic has also added the ability to create multiple versions of a grade and then view all of the versions in a split screen viewer. This feature will undoubtedly make the creative process of previewing multiple variations of a grade simpler than ever.

It's clear at this point that Blackmagic is not only set on making Resolve as powerful, pragmatic, and user-friendly as it can possibly be, but that they're really pushing to innovate and make Resolve one of the foremost tools in digital post production. If you haven't already picked up the lite version of Resolve 10, head on over to Blackmagic's site and download it.

What do you guys think of the new features in Resolve 10? What features would you like to see in future iterations of the software? Let us know in the comments!

Link: Top 10 New Features in Davinci Resolve 10 from SpliceNPost -- YouTube

i've been a magic bullet guy but i'm going to try this out for my next project

November 13, 2013 at 8:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

chopnshoot

Its blows my mind. I was actually looking for a suitable program to use for teaching basic editing to students. Main thing was it needed to be free so they could use it at home without any additional cost. I had narrowed it down to GoPro Studio 2 but now Im thinking Resolve 10 would make much more sense. I love adobe but hell that $50 a month is looking less and less justifiable when see what else is out there for so much less.

November 13, 2013 at 10:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

well please make sure your students have a computer fast enough to run it though, and a full HD monitor at the minimum :)

November 14, 2013 at 12:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Anh Dang

Even though I think students should definitely be learning Resolve, it's also important for them to be comfortable with the major editing platforms as well. Far too often, editing jobs are dependent on knowledge of a certain program, and if these kids only know how to edit in Resolve, they might be shit out of luck when it comes time to monetize their editing skills.

Also, with educational pricing, you can get Adobe for $20/month for the first year, and $30/month from there on out. You might even be able to snag some sweet institutional pricing too. Plus CC comes with a veritable plethora of other tools like After Effects and Audition, both of which are extremely valuable to know.

November 14, 2013 at 12:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rob Hardy
Founder of Filmmaker Freedom

All true but don't underestimate the kids of today, they are native digitals and learn and adapt to a new user interface or grogram lightning fast. And don't forget they'll probably have all the apps installed for free on their computer 2 days later anyway ;)

November 14, 2013 at 8:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hansd

In this day and age, an editor needs to be proficient on at least two separate platforms otherwise he is only limiting himself. I'm always surprise at how narrow-minded editors I meet are... they deserve what they get.

Let's face it, NLEs are nowhere near as deep as compositing or color correction programs. The fact that DaVinci can just toss in all the major features of the average NLE only proves how easy it really is.

What's next? A full featured offline editor in DaVinci... give it a year or two at most. This will only bring more customers to their client base to purchase more BMD hardware.

November 14, 2013 at 9:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jordicus

I need to take a class on this program. It's essential to proper coloring. Especially with a much more advanced and proper way to handle raw footage from my 5d.

November 14, 2013 at 12:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Caleb

It's truly fantastic, even just the free version. The edit system needs a touch more work, but if this is the path forward (grading tool that also edits) I'm in.
Runs faster on my home system, seems to render out faster as well.

November 14, 2013 at 12:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

marklondon

Now people probably going to get offended, but - Has anyone tried it on a macbook air (no GPU, but OpenCL with Mavericks)?
Resolve used to be my fav grading tool, but now, doing most things on my macbook air I have no option when out on the field. You might wonder why the h#ll Im doing any video-editing work on a macbook air, but with a SSD and external disk it works fairly well (only canon markII h264 footage). (eg. I did all editing/vfx/sound for this on a macbook air https://vimeo.com/77954672) In the past, I have used both NUKE X (trial) and Adobe AE/PREM on my mac without any problems. I would really prefer a working but slow daVinciResolve any day before speed grade or color finesse (I have to do my power masks with mocha).

November 14, 2013 at 3:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

poromaa

OpenCL completely relies on the GPU, and Resolve is extremely GPU reliant. If you are saying you have no dedicated GPU besides the Intel on-board, I doublt Resolve will work. That's likely why other packages are working okay but Resolve wont work, as other applications usually jump down to basic software rendering when GPU\OpenCL isnt working

November 14, 2013 at 4:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I have been using resolve 10 lite on my 13"mbp with intergrated intel 4000 graphics.

It does work, but not perfectly. It struggles with additional nodes and has some strange results sometimes, for example I added a blur effect to a mask on a shot for something in the foreground and it came out yellow. But this is an improvement over resolve 9 on ML which wouldn't load at all for me. For a free program it's still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

November 14, 2013 at 5:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rb

Thanks! Have tried to install 8-9 without luck, but with Mavericks and v10 it works! On my Macbook air it gets a bit slow, but not too bad.
Just love this program.

November 15, 2013 at 11:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

poromaa

Does anyone have crashes when loadiing a bunch of DNGs? You drag the files and the program just dissapears.
it happens to me from time to time,

November 14, 2013 at 9:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Premini

It needs AVCHD support.

November 14, 2013 at 2:20PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Rip

It wouldn't install on my windows 7 64 bit machine claiming I did not have an OpenCL video card. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 which works fine with Resolve 9 and has OpenCL and the latest driver. I think that it be more application than my computer can handle or there may be a few bugs in the hardware detection part of the app. I was so excited to try it out too.

November 14, 2013 at 5:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

anton

No doubt it's an awesome application and I'm just finishing my 4th 1-hour show (was using beta version for first 3) but...

I'd really like to see some basic functions added:

- ability to navigate between markers (markers are useless to me as-is, because I can't find them)

- ability to manually enter timecodes (without having to purchase the Davinci control panel to do it)

- ability to manage projects and back them up manually and/or move them if needed (they're hidden from the user)

- more GUI customization would be nice

- mappable keyboard would be amazing

Just a few things on my mind since I've been using it.

November 14, 2013 at 5:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ron I

Hey Ron,

markers are shown in the keyframes panel...

November 17, 2013 at 10:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm loving it. Just want it to be even better.

November 14, 2013 at 5:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ron I

I drop a leave a response when I especially enjoy a post on a site or if I have something to contribute to the conversation.
It's caused by the sincerness communicated in the post I read.
And after this article 10 Awesome New Features in Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve 10

May 7, 2014 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

My relatives always say that I am wasting my time here at
web, but I know I am getting familiarity every day
by reading thes nice articles.

May 7, 2014 at 10:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

It's going to be end of mine day, but before end I am reading this fantastic piece
of writing to increase my experience.

July 24, 2014 at 10:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM