February 22, 2014

Video: A Conversation with Siri About Why Spike Jonze's 'Her' Deserves to Win Best Picture

We've covered Spike Jonze's romantic drama Her quite a bit since its release. In fact, this unconventional film has been studied, explored, and examined quite a bit -- filmmakers, journalists, and critics alike delve into the narrative to find answers to the many questions the film poses -- like, who really represents humanity in the film, Samantha or Theo? Kevin B. Lee shares yet another excellent video with Keyframe, this time not only discussing why Her deserves the Oscar for Best Picture, but goes further in suggesting that the film is about "more than just a tragic love story between human and machine," but is also about "how much of being human is like being a machine."

Any film that gets an audience to think about their existence as a human being on Earth accomplishes a great feat. Many times, films zero in on more focused themes, like love, loneliness, and moving on -- though these themes show up in Her as well, there is an overarching idea that gently forces us to look at our humanity and ask ourselves honestly if Theo is really all that different from Samantha, his operating system -- if we are all that different from her.

The video plays out in a discussion between Lee and Siri, in which they discuss who should win the Oscar for Best Picture. That's a pretty standard way to start a conversation about a movie like this, but it soon turns into a journey into what Her does to earn such a dear place in the hearts of its fans, suggesting that it makes its audience question the nature of their existence and what it means to be human.

Not only that, but the video brings some excellent points about what makes the film worthy of the Best Picture Oscar, including its "built to please" aesthetic that not only mirrors the purpose behind Samantha's design, but also calls the emotions in the film into question. Take a look at the video below to explore Spike Jonze's film further. You can read the transcript of Lee's and Siri's conversation here.

What point brought up in Lee's video stuck out to you? What do you think Her has to say about love, relationships, and the nature of humanity? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Link: Ask Siri: Why HER Deserves Oscar’s Best Picture -- Keyframe

I hated Gravity (of course not about the technical tools, the technical team were amazing but because of the direction choices), I also watched Captain Phillips which is just another "american hero" movie. The Wolf of Wall Street is classical cinema in it's best shape, amazing movie but HER... HER... is so AMAZING, for the first time I saw a future with no lasers and spaceships (finally) an human future, with human problems and high technology. I can't say it's the best picture because I didn't see them all, but HER is awesome. Of course it's just my opinion, I would love to talk about it if someone want to. =)

February 22, 2014 at 10:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

I felt the same way about Gravity. It was amazing from a technical standpoint but overall was too typically 'Hollywoodish" if you know what I mean. The big name actors didn't make me feel like they were astronauts. I haven't seen HER yet but I will be soon.

February 23, 2014 at 7:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Gravity had some bad sides, but overall film is really good, directing was quite good too, except few scenes. Captain Phillips "hero movie"?? This film is just opic because of that it is soo not-hero-ish! It is true life story with no lies in the dialogs! And Wold of Wall Street.... Scorsese showed we for the first time the best director could make film soo idiotic, and crappy, that I would have gagging.

February 24, 2014 at 2:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

TheJungle

Please stop posting this irrelevant bs I usually keep quiet but enough is enough , this entire post is absurd

February 23, 2014 at 2:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

jaye

uhm, you do not have to read it, but I for one, actually found this fascinating. It is merely an opinion, not a fact. It is not BS. It was an opinionated post. Appreciate it as such or get out of the Art industry, because you will get a lot more of that.

I do not agree with it, and obviously it won't get the Oscar (in my opinion it shouldn't), but it made some valid points and it was thought provoking, and I like thinking. So kudos to the people who made it.

February 23, 2014 at 3:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

SAfilmstudent

February 23, 2014 at 7:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Why so anal? What makes this different from any other article on here? Gotta chill out man.

February 24, 2014 at 1:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Kaleb

Freed from desire. Mind and senses purified...
Nanananananana nanana nanana

February 23, 2014 at 5:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Natt

This is the year of the overrated films. I can't believe+ how low the standards are if Her is supposed to be philosophical.

February 23, 2014 at 9:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

maghoxfr

Here's the trailer with Siri doing the voice of Samantha:

February 23, 2014 at 3:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

brett

I love this film, and I found it this year's most moving experience. It is also beautifully conceived, and shot, and edited, with music and sound which complement the care with which it was visually designed. For me, it is about a man, too self involved and immature to succeed in a marriage, who, through his relationship( which deepens into Friendship) with his OS, becomes self aware enough to understand his failings as a man and husband, and accept responsibility for his blindness,and selfishness. It is bittersweet, and ultimately not depressing, because he is now better prepared to truly partner another. A quiet, but complex performance by Phoenix, and a wonderful, moving and warm one by Johansson who should have been nominated, precisely because it was so natural, effective and convincing using her voice only. I was left with the hope that Phoenix and Adams' characters' friendship would blossom into what now both were ready for: True, Deep and Lasting Love. For me the most original,aching/ sweet and complex, Film of the Year......

February 23, 2014 at 5:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Andre Guttfreund

+1000!

February 25, 2014 at 3:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Nick

Totally agree!

February 25, 2014 at 5:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:45AM

Carmen

I didn't expect anything new and your film essay opened me to something I had never thought about.

Thanks, and well done.