April 17, 2014

Get to Know the AMIRA with ARRI's New Virtual AMIRA Camera Simulator

Chances are, if you've operated or assisted on a production using an ARRI ALEXA, you've also used ARRI's fantastic ALEXA camera simulator, which digitally mimics all of the menu functions and exterior buttons of the camera. Resources such as camera simulators are excellent training tools for both up and coming cam-ops and assistants, as well as experienced guys who need a refresher on how a particular system works. With the new AMIRA camera making its way out into the world, ARRI has released the first version of the AMIRA camera simulator, and it's definitely worth checking out you intend to use this camera any time in the near future.

Just in case you're not already familiar with the features of the AMIRA, here's a quick recap:

Now that you're up to speed with the features, you're ready to get to know the AMIRA a bit more intimately. I suggest opening a bottle of wine, putting on some Barry Manilow, lighting a few candles, and then clicking this link to take you to the AMIRA camera simulator. Or you can click the image below.

After several minutes of using the simulator, it's clear that the AMIRA is a very different beast from the ALEXA, at least in terms of the ethos of its exterior button and menu design. The hardware switches on the side of the camera allow for common settings such as frame rate, ISO, and white balance to be switched between user-defined settings at the quick flick of a knob. This means that a single operator can control crucial functions of the camera without ever having to look at a menu of any kind. For this reason, the AMIRA is a dream camera for documentary and run and gun shooters who are constantly changing settings on the fly.

What do you guys think of the AMIRA Camera Simulator? What similarities or differences do you notice between the AMIRA's external button/menu configuration and that of the ALEXA? Let us know down in the comments!

Link: The ARRI AMIRA Camera Simulator; SUP 1.0 -- Arri

Great camera!

April 17, 2014 at 3:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Very useful app... for Roger Deakins :)

April 17, 2014 at 5:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jeff G

I messed with it for a minute then thought, "Wow, I feel sorry for whoever has to use this camera after me. I just screwed everything up." Then I remember I'm staring at a web browser.

April 17, 2014 at 5:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Josh

Am I the only one who's finding it not intuitive and very frustrating to use?

April 17, 2014 at 7:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ebrahim Saadawi

Then that makes the simulator an even more brilliant idea!

All cameras have a learning curve and anything that let's you get your bumbling and confusion out of the way BEFORE the shoot, is great to me.

You can be completely out of your depth in the comfort of your own home and still show up on set well versed in the usage of what many consider, an industry standard camera.

I've never touched an ARRI camera in my life, but when I do I'll have used this app FIRST.

April 17, 2014 at 10:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Is there no way to dial in an exact kelvin WB?

April 18, 2014 at 1:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oliver

Seems like you can by going to the bottom right and selecting wb. From there you can can add a new wb setting, which you can set to whichever temperature you want.

April 18, 2014 at 8:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thanks, it seems the feature is disabled or not implemented on the simulator right now. In any case, having to add a new setting each time you want to modify the WB (and not even being able to edit an existing setting) seems clunky. Having quick profiles to select is nice, but I much prefer to not use one of those "auto" settings and dial in the appropriate kelvin in each situation I find myself in. This is all the more applicable to fast "run and gun" productions that the Amira is marketing towards. Am I missing something here?

April 18, 2014 at 6:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Oliver

The simulator doesn't make any justice to the real thing. It is by far the easiest and fastest-to-set pro cam on the market. Everything is kinda orthopedic on this simulator, half of the settings are not available and the wheel is not useful at all.

Whenever you add new settings you do so from existing ones, really fast. Plus you get to add any CC data from any filters you're using. Believe me. I do beta test for living. This beast is a bliss to work with.

June 11, 2014 at 10:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

BLOG | The focus puller workout - Camaleon Rental
irst of all, I would like to say that is a camera system, like all the Arri models both digital and 35mm, with which the assistant cameraman feels very comfortable, since is easy to use, solid and reliable even in the most extreme shooting situation (here I have to be honest and tell that I din't work with it in very extreme conditions, but I know people that did and they got no trouble at all)

As I was saying, it is often considered the "Scarlet" of Arri, or his solution for low budget productions. And even if I'm not going to say that the Amira is as good as the Alexa (and their price point is a clear proof of that), I do believe that in many aspects the Amira is very close and at some point even better.

February 8, 2017 at 3:15AM