April 8, 2014

NAB Video: Zacuto Shows Us Their New Gratical HD 720 OLED EVF and Z18 Tripod

Zacuto are a mainstay of the NAB scene here in Vegas, and this year they've focussed their efforts on a new EVF and, for first the first time, a line of professional tripods. Ryan Koo met up with Steve Weiss at the Zacuto booth to play with the new toys and get all the details. Hit the jump to watch the video.

Let us know your thoughts about the new Zacuto gear in the comments, and don't miss a beat from the Vegas floor with our NAB master post.

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

I'm very interested in how their tripods perform. Do they have specs listed for drag controls? Also, love the AC box on the front. Would love to see these on indie projects because they make life much easier.

April 8, 2014 at 1:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Morgan Simpson

how much were those 12 & 18 tripods?

April 8, 2014 at 1:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve states that the Zacuto 18 tripod with carbon-fiber legs will sell around $3,500 and be able to take a 45lb camera package. The Zacuto 12 ( 35lb camera package ) and Zacuto 8 ( 25lb camera package ) tripods will obviously be less expensive.

April 8, 2014 at 5:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Guy McLoughlin

It doesn't matter if the screen is "the size of your thumbnail" or not, it is magnified therefore its actual physical size is irrelevant. Having said that, 1080 resolution is probably indeed not necessary.

April 8, 2014 at 3:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark Jack

old school...!

April 8, 2014 at 4:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

sean

I was so stoked for that viewfinder... until he said $3000.

April 8, 2014 at 4:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve just looks like a tool

April 8, 2014 at 7:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Clrbars

I was a bit disappointed with this viewfinder. I mean don't get me wrong it's nice and clean but a little on the small side. Also it didn't look drastically better then the red that they had for comparison other then better blacks. And what pissed me off even more was they had an alphatron for comparison but they thought that they would be smart and set the alphatron to a scaled mode so it doesn't look as good when compared to theirs EVF and when I started to switch it they told me don't mess with it. That's wack and misleading to the public. And it's expensive coming in at 3800 I think.

April 8, 2014 at 8:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

it's very like Zacuto. Getting rid of the competition. Very recognizable!

July 17, 2014 at 9:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john

The evf is sorta cool, but if I am setting a LUT on set, I'm going to do it on a quality monitor which will be easier to inspect.
As to the shoulder mount ... It's nice that it is so adjustable, but I don't want the knobs and dials on the side of the cam behind my ear. They aren't accessible when your ear is even with the "gate" and the bulk of the cam is behind you.
Just my .02...

April 9, 2014 at 10:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Chris H

The tripod is yet another Sachtler ripoff. The Russians made those back in the days, and now some chinese (Secced), and apparently American too.

Maybe some of these are good, I think coming up with your own design is better idea..
Getting a used Sachtler is a good deal.

April 9, 2014 at 4:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mikko

Actually looking closer at the tripod, it looks to be just the same as Secced, with a few modifications and a Zacuto logo on the side.
And oh, Sachtler has had a "18" named-head for 20 or more years..

April 9, 2014 at 4:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mikko

They do look awfully close to Secced which if I'm not mistaken go for a lot less than $3500.

April 9, 2014 at 9:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Maybe they had been handled extensively by the time I arrived but the rubber joystick on the new EVF is a horrible design. I tried going through the menu and it took too much effort to get the joystick to work in my opinion.

A pretty image is a pretty image but when you have to do more than just look through the viewfinder it makes a big difference.

April 14, 2014 at 1:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM