June 11, 2014

30 Hilarious GIFs That Show What What Life is Like on Set for a Filmmaker

EnhanceWorking in film is no picnic, regardless of what your job is on set, and sometimes it's (extremely) necessary to let your hair down, relax your gut, and laugh at how absurd it can all be. Evan Luzi gives you a perfect opportunity to do just that in his recent post on The Black and Blue that illustrates with 30 hilarious GIFs what life is like working as a camera assistant -- or as we call it in independent film, hat #2001 -- or whatever -- #6 billion.

Everybody needs a good sprinkling of funny GIFs in their life -- I like to get mine daily -- and it's great that there are compilations out there that highlight the very unique experience of working on a film set. We've shared a similar collection of reaction GIFs that revealed the madness of being a DP, so Luzi's is a welcomed addition, for sure.

So, take a gander at the selection from Luzi's post below. I think you'll find that not only are they right on point with how life on-set really is (not only for ACs, but one-man-show indie filmmakers), but they're hilarious and will definitely eat up a big chunk of the time you probably should be spending being productive and -- you know -- working.

200mm. F1.8. Camera on dolly:

cam on dolly

When the mag is about to roll out during a take:

empty mag

Bumping up the resolution on a RED Epic:

enhance

When a director actually moves on after one take, I look at the DP like:

one take

A big thanks to Evan Luzi for putting these GIFs together! Be sure to go to The Black and Blue to check the rest of them out, and just in case you can't get enough (you won't be able to), here's a collection Luzi put together of general filmmaking reaction GIF memes.

Link: The Life of a Camera Assistant as Told Through GIFs -- The Black and Blue

Hi, just wanted to let you know
The original posts come from http://dopgifs.tumblr.com/
I think these are just reposts from there.
The tumblr page is also constantly updated, not just 30!

June 11, 2014 at 3:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Henry

Hey there, this is guy who who wrote the post NFS is writing about. I love DOP Gifs! But these aren't reposts from there. In fact, I did another GIF post way back in 2012 about a year and a half before DOP Gifs was even a thing and Internet meme post even before that!

June 11, 2014 at 4:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Evan its awesome! Made my day.. ROFL

June 11, 2014 at 4:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Archie

This is just the best: http://dopgifs.tumblr.com/post/83426534923.

I do that allll the time!

August 24, 2014 at 8:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Yeah the originals are from DOPgifs.tumblr.com

June 11, 2014 at 3:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Frisly

While I love DOP Gifs, I can promise you that I didn't rip them off their site. I spent several hours pouring through gif archives on my own and coming up with titles. I respect Ed (who runs DOP gifs) way too much to just rip him off. It's possible we use the same GIFs, but that's true for any GIF-based blog or post.

June 11, 2014 at 4:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ed's a woman, iirc. Love all the gifs and looking forward to stealing them :)

June 11, 2014 at 9:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

That's a man, baby!

June 12, 2014 at 8:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Ach I'm getting confused with http://1stassistantdirectors.tumblr.com/

June 15, 2014 at 1:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

The guy's a hack anyway, feel free to rip him.

June 12, 2014 at 8:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Well that was worthwhile

June 11, 2014 at 4:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Fresno Bob

"Hilarious?" Meh.

June 11, 2014 at 7:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ronn

Don't bother. Ever.

June 14, 2014 at 8:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Steve

Steve bringing the HEAT!

August 6, 2014 at 7:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

In order to cope in a fast-paced market, new applications are essential.
Each auction may be conducted which has a different set
of terms including bid increments, number of auction rounds and expense reimbursement to the stalking horse.
" Employees at Nike are encouraged to be curious and offered to new ideas, whatever their source.

July 3, 2014 at 2:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

And in the course of which analysis, it emerges that many dollar spent
inside the pursuit of an online degree is prone to
increase one's lifetime earnings several times
fold. Investors are there to aid the entrepreneur and to get a
benefit from their investment from the entrepreneurs company.
I have observed my share of scams, and have
actually done a great job avoiding being taken to get a sucker and I'm here to share
with you, Ameriplan isn't a scam.

July 14, 2014 at 5:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM