July 14, 2014

RØDE's Studio-Quality 24-Bit/96K Apple IOS Recorder iXY Mic Now for iPhone 5

Over a year ago, RØDE introduced the iXY Microphone for the iPhone 4, the first device for iOS capable of 24-bit/96k audio recordings, which meant studio quality audio could be collected with a device that could fit inside your pocket. However, iPhone 5 users were pretty much out of luck until today. RØDE announced the highly anticipated update that allows you to use the award-winning mic with your iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s. Now fitted with a Lighting connector, the iXY microphone will provide the same quality audio found in the previous version, but on the latest Apple smart phone devices.

Here's a bit from RØDE's press release:

Equipped with the same broadcast audio performance as the original 30-pin microphone, the iXY with Lightning connector features a matched pair of ½ inch condenser capsules arranged in a stacked X-Y configuration, with on-board high-fidelity analogue to digital conversion. This ensures accurate, immersive and true to life stereo recordings.

The iXY microphone is probably most appealing to those who don't want to lug around a bunch of gear; documentarians who are conducting a bunch of interviews or recording in places where being unobtrusive is key, or any filmmaker who is recording in a location where transporting gear is a challenge. Really, given the quality of the audio and the ability to monitor and level the audio with the RØDE Rec app, the iXY is a great option for the price. Obviously, you're not going to get the same audio quality with this mic that you would if you were using a $3000 one with a pro mixer, but the sound you will get is surprisingly clear and robust. You can listen to a bunch of audio samples on the iXY website.

IXY MIC 2

RØDE also updated their field recording app to increase compatibility and stability on the iOS 7 platform. You can purchase it for $5.99 in the App Store. If you're unfamiliar with the app, check out this intro:

RØDE is now shipping the iXY microphone at $199. (By the way, if you're using an iPhone 4 or iPad, you might be happy to know that the original 30-pin iXY version is now available for $150.)

Link: iXY Stereo Microphone for iPad & iPhone -- RØDE

Disclosure: RØDE is a No Film School advertiser.

Cool. It's a good idea.

On the first video, :16-:25 seemed incredibly quiet for the conference table dialogue. Hopefully the noise isn't terrible when it gets raised in post?

My main concern with devices like these is that a lot of people, me included, keep a case on my iOS device 24/7. Removing it is sort of a no-go. Some sort of adjustable clamp-on mechanism would make me happy.

July 14, 2014 at 10:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This device makes you take the device off I got one on their beta and it fits tightly to your phone

July 14, 2014 at 11:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

some guy

It is possible to use the iXY with an iOS device with a case by removing the rubber mount. The clamping and shock mounting features will be missing but it is still quite secure with the Lightning connector.

July 15, 2014 at 7:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I have an iPhone 5s, and this is just stupid. Invest in good gear. Don't waist money on mediocre quality.

July 14, 2014 at 11:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

gay

nothing mediocre about Rode gear gay, they make some great kit, now run along and fck yourself.

July 17, 2014 at 7:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Magfile

Not compatible with new iPads? And not for the iPod Touch with Lightning Connector?
The 30-pin model is compatible with previous iPod Touch and iPad 2, mmm...

July 14, 2014 at 11:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex

Capture sound with my phone, makes this in useless to communicate.

July 14, 2014 at 11:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Alex

The iXY will connect to an iPad mini or iPad Air, however there is no interchangeable rubber mount for these devices at this point, so the clamping and shock mounting features will be missing. As a recording device though it is 100% compatible with lightning iPads.

July 15, 2014 at 7:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Why not buy an Zoom H1 for half the money? The mics are identical to the H4 - fantastic for recording live rock 'n roll...

July 15, 2014 at 2:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Russell Boyd

My thought as well. Why not just grab a used H1 if you need a pocket sized audio recorder?

July 15, 2014 at 6:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This mic with the Rode app's Izotope assistance is definitely what makes this interesting. It seems Rode has now taken the handheld recorder leaps and bounds now, in my opinion.

July 15, 2014 at 9:09AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ben1

I had the older version and although the sound quality is good (apart from the hiss) It was so awkward for recording on the go. It also crashed a lot!. I am getting a sony PCM recorder to replace it.

July 15, 2014 at 9:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rob

Too bad they are just sticking to apple devices.

July 15, 2014 at 9:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

edgar

As attractive as this mic adapter appears, my experience with add-on devices is sketchy at best.

I bought an infrared emitter that plugs into either an iPad or iPhone that allowed me to turn the devices into TV remote controls. Turns out I don't want my iPad or iPhone to be a remote control. For one thing, the devices went to sleep between uses and it took forever to get them awake enough to change the channel or adjust volume, not to mention I had to assemble the device to begin to use it every time. Not good for something as often-used as a remote control.

This recorder would not be used that much, I would think. But if you got a text or phone call during a critical recording passage, what happens?

I use my iPhone as a teleprompter using the excellent Teleprompt+ app. Works well. However, the phone has rung during a take.

July 15, 2014 at 10:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dan

i had the 30 pin version, it came out a couple of weeks before the lightning iPhones so I gave it away when I went to an iphone5, does this thing have a rubberised clamp on it (looks like it from the photos) kind of like the end of the gopro jaws flex so it'll be compatible with future iPhones - the iPhone 6 which is going to be very thin is out in a month or two and would be a bummer if this wasn't future proofed again.

The only problem i have is the Rode REC APPis buggy and I've lost recordings because of it.

I think the best sounding portable recorders are not X/Y mic configs but Omni like the sony PCM-M10 that thing sounds amazing, I'm not normally a fan of omni mics but Sony nailed it with that portable handheld recorder.

July 17, 2014 at 7:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM