While the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K got a histogram, time remaining, and audio levels last month, many were wondering when the other Blackmagic cameras -- the Cinema Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera -- were going to get these important features as well. That day is today, as the company has announced firmware 1.9.3, which will finally allow you to know exactly how much footage you've got left to shoot on both the BMCC and the BMPCC, and let you see what kind of levels you're recording for audio.
If you missed the video from the Blackmagic 4K update, the Cinema Camera will look identical to this, with the Pocket just slightly different:
Here's what's in the new 1.9.3 update [Update] After putting the update on my Pocket, as others have mentioned, there are additional white balance and shutter angles for both cameras:
- White Balance: 2500K, 2800K, 3000K, 3200K, 3400K, 3600K, 4000K, 4500K, 4800K, 5000K, 5200K, 5400K, 5600K, 6000K, 6500K, 7000K, 7500K, 8000K
- Shutter Angles (in degrees): 11.5, 15, 22.5, 30, 37.5, 45, 60, 72, 75, 90, 108, 120, 144, 150, 172.8, 180, 216, 270, 324, 360
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
- Add histogram, time remaining and audio level indicators. Use Up and Down to reveal and hide the meters while Left and Right will adjust the aperture of your active MFT lens.
- Fixed bug where in-camera playback may sometimes drop frames.
- Add histogram, time remaining and audio level indicators.
Trying to record audio into these cameras before this update was a completely blind experience, but now with actual levels you can see what's going on, even if you're just trying to record reference audio for later. Like I've said before, the very last update these cameras desperately need is the ability to format in-camera, which I'm sure is coming sooner rather than later considering how quickly the company has been releasing these firmware updates.
All of their cameras now use the same download file regardless of the update, so there is just one file that works for both the Pocket and Cinema Cameras. You can find links over on their support page or in the section below.