August 21, 2014

Blackmagic Pocket & Cinema Cameras Get Histogram, Time Remaining, & Audio Levels

Blackmagic-Histogram-Audio-Meter-Time-RemainingWhile the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K got a histogram, time remaining, and audio levels last month, many were wondering when the other Blackmagic cameras -- the Cinema Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera -- were going to get these important features as well. That day is today, as the company has announced firmware 1.9.3, which will finally allow you to know exactly how much footage you've got left to shoot on both the BMCC and the BMPCC, and let you see what kind of levels you're recording for audio.

If you missed the video from the Blackmagic 4K update, the Cinema Camera will look identical to this, with the Pocket just slightly different:

Here's what's in the new 1.9.3 update [Update] After putting the update on my Pocket, as others have mentioned, there are additional white balance and shutter angles for both cameras:

• White Balance: 2500K, 2800K, 3000K, 3200K, 3400K, 3600K, 4000K, 4500K, 4800K, 5000K, 5200K, 5400K, 5600K, 6000K, 6500K, 7000K, 7500K, 8000K
  • Shutter Angles (in degrees): 11.5, 15, 22.5, 30, 37.5, 45, 60, 72, 75, 90, 108, 120, 144, 150, 172.8, 180, 216, 270, 324, 360

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

• Add histogram, time remaining and audio level indicators. Use Up and Down to reveal and hide the meters while Left and Right will adjust the aperture of your active MFT lens.
  • Fixed bug where in-camera playback may sometimes drop frames.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera

• Add histogram, time remaining and audio level indicators.

Blackmagic-Histogram-Audio-Meter-Time-Remaining

Trying to record audio into these cameras before this update was a completely blind experience, but now with actual levels you can see what's going on, even if you're just trying to record reference audio for later. Like I've said before, the very last update these cameras desperately need is the ability to format in-camera, which I'm sure is coming sooner rather than later considering how quickly the company has been releasing these firmware updates.

All of their cameras now use the same download file regardless of the update, so there is just one file that works for both the Pocket and Cinema Cameras. You can find links over on their support page or in the section below.

Links:

Installed it this morning on my Pocket Cam... and i am Impressed :-)

August 21, 2014 at 2:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Z-Axis

hi,
would like to see some of your Blackmagic pocket cinema camera footages, graded & ungraded. Any links Mate...?

Thanks
Abhi

August 29, 2014 at 11:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Abhi

By supporting their previous products like this, they are giving confidence to those who might be looking to purchase an Ursa.

August 21, 2014 at 2:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Josh

I messaged a fried a mine and said the same thing to him ;-)

August 21, 2014 at 3:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Z-Axis

Awesome! I agree the last major update would be formatting in camera. Although I would like to see some other changes such as improved focus peaking and the ability to adjust iso and shutter without going into the menus.

either way, im super happy with my pocket camera and all the new features we have been getting :D

August 21, 2014 at 2:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kevin

Agreed on the improved focus peaking.

August 21, 2014 at 3:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

whats wrong with the focus peaking. haven't got mine yet.

August 22, 2014 at 12:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

focus peaking works well if you have very shallow DOF. but for wider shots with a larger DOF the camera has a hard time picking up whats in focus and what is slightly out of focus. It ends up showing that a lot of stuff is in focus that isnt

August 22, 2014 at 1:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kevin

Burst slow-mo? No? Aah, let a man dream! :)

August 21, 2014 at 4:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hell id even pay for that, especially if it was above 60fps...

August 21, 2014 at 5:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kevin

Right. Adjusting ISO and WB it's the priority

August 26, 2014 at 8:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Felice

Can't wait to get home and update!

August 21, 2014 at 2:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

August 21, 2014 at 3:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Charlie

I use an BMCC myself so im very happy with the update, but i do find it hilarious that he's explaining why its nice to have time remaining... yeah.. we know dude... we've been telling you we've been wanting it all along

August 21, 2014 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ruben

Lol... Love how people are so grateful for this "update" adding features that should have been there from the start and also how have they not managed to add other simple things too... Ugh BMC are so irritating

August 21, 2014 at 3:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick Dale

Nick - this is still progress for the update - and considering how much BlackMagic listen to their consumers and make updates which many of their consumers ask for, they're up there for one of the best customer service providers out there - Why don't you think a little first.

August 21, 2014 at 4:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

Because we bought the cameras knowing what it implied. The good and the bad. We knew the camera didn't have histogram/audio levels/time remaining, and we still chose to buy it with all it's flaws because it's so good. And now, they're even fixing the things that made us think twice before buying it. The fact that they keep improving on their products shows these guys care. If they keep adding/fixing stuff, these cameras will be perfect.

August 21, 2014 at 4:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Diego

August 22, 2014 at 5:46PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marc B

Yeah nick, remember shooting on film? How horrible
That was because we had no histogram and audio meters? Oh wait we had no audio.. But we did have light meters! Lol. I bought the pocket knowing the drawbacks but wanting the look. Very happy about this update.

August 21, 2014 at 6:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nilly

Nilly, I was thinking the same thing. Remember calculating the iso of early broadcast video cameras so that you could accurately use a meter on set? These cameras are amazing! I'm still happy with my 7D for personal projects.

August 29, 2014 at 2:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dietrich

Ugh BMD are SO irritating...do you have one? This might as well be a Kim Kardashian blog in your case.

August 22, 2014 at 12:41AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Zachariel Shanahan

I don't know any other company that releases multiple firmware updates throughout the year (and ones that actually add features). Certainly not any DSLR maker.

August 22, 2014 at 2:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark C

I do, Pentax, up to the 5th update this year for the K-3. Not all bug fixes either, some improvments in operation and nice features have been added too.
My BMPCC has yet to arrive, I managed to get an order in for the half price deal, looking forward to it.

August 29, 2014 at 12:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John

They need to continue their firmware updates. That will encourage customers to invest in their company.

August 21, 2014 at 4:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

MovieFan

Jeszcze tylko przypisać WB klawiszom oraz ASA i….będzie prawie idealnie!

August 21, 2014 at 5:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

eugen

Zgadzam się

August 21, 2014 at 6:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kent

And Audio levels keys.

August 21, 2014 at 6:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kent

I love my BMPCC and I love the company even more!

August 21, 2014 at 6:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Is it possible now to delete files on the camera? (BMPCC)

August 21, 2014 at 6:15PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Carlos Salas

No. The answer is still the same on that. And they talked about it in the article. And there probably won't ever be. As has been answered by BM. Formatting maybe.

August 21, 2014 at 6:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kent

It kind of infuriated me in the beginning that you cant delete clips but I kind of like it now. It forces the operator to have certain discipline.. I have not complaints on that front.

August 21, 2014 at 11:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

gult

Installing right now. Hell yeah.

August 21, 2014 at 7:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

They wont be adding a single clip delete feature because it may corrupt the footage around it according to BM. Formatting however, will probably be coming soon.

August 22, 2014 at 2:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Justin

hopefully they slap new sensors in the traditional bodies for more cash for those of use who don't want the Ursa

August 22, 2014 at 4:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

VinceGortho

I also heard* that white balance increments are now tighter, which is great

*still waiting for my BMPCC

August 22, 2014 at 4:58AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stanly.ok

That update rocks.
It also moves the original info line to the top of the screen which works for me.

August 22, 2014 at 5:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michael

They need to add histogram, time remaining, and audio levels to the external monitor out. I look at everything on my SmallHD monitor, why can't I see these new overlays?

August 22, 2014 at 10:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Eric

How do you turn the histogram/audio levels feature off?

Surprised no one has mentioned the fact that it obscures vision of the bottom section of what you are going to be recording. Personally if I can't get that visibility back I will be reverting to an old firmware.

August 22, 2014 at 10:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Justin

finger swipe down

August 22, 2014 at 4:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nynex

Ah, forget what I said, obviously you can swipe it away! Happy with the additions.

August 22, 2014 at 10:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Justin

They forgot about to mention to update that they did do to the camera also. There are more white balance options and there is better performance in ISO 1600 it is now actually usable. My hats of to Black Magic for staying on these updates. They know what we need and I'm pretty sure it will come in the next couple weeks. Knowing that is a unified update between all the camera they will need to add it if they add it to the Ursa or any of the others.

August 22, 2014 at 1:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I guess we have nothing left to complain about

August 22, 2014 at 2:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

john jeffries

Too expensive? xD

August 22, 2014 at 6:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Hampus

Just in time for my incoming BMPCC. Thanks Grant Petty.

August 22, 2014 at 5:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Marc B

I'm really digging the direction this company is headed. I've been watching them since they started and they seem to really be committed to their customers. If I loved my BMPCC before, these updates just took it to another level. Bravo Blackmagic!

August 23, 2014 at 2:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Anthony

Best teal and orange look plus many more

August 23, 2014 at 2:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

John

Interesting, but terrible tutorial videos.

August 24, 2014 at 11:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jangee Slardoon...

Seconds would have still been welcome on the pocket camera because it always comes down to the second for me, lol.

August 23, 2014 at 1:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I think that another improvements MUST be:
1. Formatting SD in camera
2. Adjusting ISO and WB without going to menu and then again on screen. This is frustating in my opinion

August 26, 2014 at 8:25AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Felice

Is it me or does any one else thing it's funny that this video, which was probably shot with a BMCC, isn't lit or properly white balanced? Kinda looks sloppy. The update though is great!

August 28, 2014 at 6:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rosco

Do they still do the remaining power by 25% ? A better countdown would help too. Other than that I am loving everything that I see here! I love my BMCC. I have made my money back a dozen times over.

September 1, 2014 at 10:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tortch

Could it be possible to not talk as much about updates and, rather, just talk about the camera. It sort of comes across like the camera had "problems" to begin with and I sort of come away a little bummed-- not at all what I wanted to feel.

June 8, 2018 at 1:52PM