August 14, 2014

This One-Minute Short Starring Robin Williams Pretty Much Says It All

It's hard to sum up the value of a single person who has contributed so much happiness to the collective consciousness that their own unhappiness is eclipsed by it. As you all probably know, the great actor, voice actor, comedian, and all-around-human-being Robin Williams died very recently. There isn't much to say about it that others haven't said already or won't say in the days and weeks to come, for better or for worse -- but in respect to the greatness all of us have just lost, we'll let that greatness speak for itself.

Thank you, Robin Williams, for all the joy you've brought so many moviegoers, humor-loving folk, and any other all-around-human-beings you've reached in your work.

You will be missed.

[via The Dissolve]

I would like everyone to take the time to read this & share it and get this message out. If YOU were effected by the death of Robin Williams, or you know someone in your life going through depression, or has a mental illness, this is a MUST READ. It may save your loved ones very life!

August 14, 2014 at 4:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Michele Wagoner

Not to speak ill of the dead but Howard Stern, to take another guy with a mic, had not had the nicest things to say about Williams. Of course, Howard will often invent feuds where none has to exist but this had gone on for years.

August 14, 2014 at 11:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Howard just said the other day he was bummed out about Williams, even blaming himself on their fallout.

August 14, 2014 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

riz

Loved that guy.

August 14, 2014 at 2:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Natt

Ok, ok. But all his movies such. No doubt about it.

August 14, 2014 at 4:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robes Baum

*suck.

August 14, 2014 at 4:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robes Baum

Awakenings? Good Will Hunting? The Fisher King? YOU suck. Go troll somewhere else.

August 14, 2014 at 4:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ed Hecht

Fisher king yes. Awakenings are you serious? That film sucked the last drop of shit particle from an ass...

August 17, 2014 at 7:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Keith

"Moscow on the Hudson" and "Good Morning, Vietnam" are certainly top tier films, among others. Robin was better when the director could contain his shtick a bit.
Also, his work with his idol, Jonathan Winters, on "Mork and Mindy" was a very interesting, heavy improvised, almost "live" sitcom. Just to bring up some differences - when Shelley Long wanted to improvise lines on "Cheers", she was told to STFU. When Williams and Winters improvised, the producers basically were only concerned with having enough film in magazines (they often ran out) and keeping Pam Dawber off camera because she kept breaking up.
BTW, "M&M" was essentially ruined by the ABC management's constant meddling. It was dominant with its late-70's-early-80's sitcoms like "Three's Company", "Laverne and Shirley", "Happy Days", "Taxi", "M&M", "Welcome back, Kotter" and others. Some of them aged poorly, some jumped the shark (ah, get it?) but soldiered on nonetheless, others were canceled. By 1984, the comedy baton passed onto NBC, who had "Cheers", "Cosby", "Family Ties", "Night Court", etc., and ABC was left scrambling for ratings.

August 14, 2014 at 7:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DLD

Having to pay $20 million in his divorce settlement from 2009 forced him to take on extra work. He started drinking then. He hadn't drank in 20 years, the same period of time he had been in that marriage. He must have loved her. She must have made a big difference in his life. Losing her in a divorce and having to pay out $20 million to her on top of that appears to have put him over the edge. I wish there was something I could have done. It was so odd to read about what happened. All I could think was I wish I had a chance to do something if I could have.

A scene from one of his movies that stands out to me was from Patch Adams when he was on the mountain side yelling at God. What happened in that scene really was profound. I look forward to seeing him again in heaven where I know he is now happy.

August 14, 2014 at 8:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

geno

My younger brother came to pay a visit to his older brother, the actor, in Hollywood in 1980. One night I took him to the Comedy Store on Sunset Boulevard. I can't remember who was playing that night, but it wasn't Robin William. Nevertheless, the main floor was packed, so we we standing in a line in the rear of the place waiting for a the off-chance that a table might open up. We stood behind at least 20 others waiting for the same chance.

Suddenly, from behind, a man shoved himself deliberately into my backside. I heard the man loudly exclaim, "OH! EXCUSE ME!" As I turned around, wondering who the rudenik was I might be having words with, I was stunned to be staring face to face with Robin Williams. I had seen him at the bar at the Improv several times over the years, but we did not know each other.

When I saw him, I laughed at the joke. For no reason whatsoever, he asked me who we were waiting to see. I told him I was an actor hoping to get in the club with my younger brother to give him something to talk about when he returned to St. Louis.

Robin said, "I wasn't scheduled here tonight, but I'm going on anyway. Come with me."

My younger brother, quiet in nature, followed us into the club. Robin walked up to someone on staff there and requested a table be set up right at the very front edge of the stage. When that was done, he told us he hoped we enjoyed the show, and he disappeared somewhere.

Not much longer afterward, the EmCee made the surprise announcement that Robin Williams was in the house, and get ready, here he is!

For the next 45-minutes my younger brother and I were just a few feet away from this hurricane of comedy, laughing ourselves into a fit. I rarely laugh much at stand-up, but neither of us could stop while watching the miracle of mirth tirelessly entertain the room.

To this day, I don't know why he picked the two brothers in the line to "bump into". If I had to make the most educated guess, I would just say: "Luck".

August 15, 2014 at 9:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

That's a great story, if you're a visitor from out of town.
But if you were among those 3-4 comedians that were bumped that night because of him, you'd be less than thrilled. And, by that, I mean you'd hate his guts.

August 15, 2014 at 2:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM