September 12, 2014

RØDE's New Stereo VideoMic X On-Camera Microphone Promises Great Audio Quality in a Tiny Package

RODE Stereo VideoMic X

It wasn't just video gear introduced at IBC today. RØDE Microphones introduced the Stereo VideoMic X, an on-camera microphone made for professional use, with a more professional price tag to go along with it.

You can hear the mic in action in these clips:

And also in this video:

Here's RØDE on the features:

The mic features a matched pair of ½” true-condenser capsules, configured in a stacked X-Y configuration, providing a highly-immersive soundscape. Each capsule is supported by the Rycote® Lyre® shock-mounting system, providing isolation from vibration as well as knocks and bumps.

Digital switching on the rear of the SVMX allows the user to control the level adjustment (-10dB or +20dB), high-pass filter (0/75/150Hz) and an innovative high-frequency boost (+6dB @ XHz) designed to boost the intelligibility of dialogue.

In a first for the VideoMic range, professional-grade balanced outputs are available on the side of the body, in addition to the RF shielded 3.5mm stereo output cable.

Check out this video overview for more:

The Stereo VideoMic X is going to run $800, and should be available by the end of November.

Some good nat sound can turn a handful of good shots into really great shots.

September 12, 2014 at 6:06PM, Edited September 12, 6:06PM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

Not sure if this can replace a good shotgun and boom pole setup.

September 12, 2014 at 6:07PM

treykaiza@gmail.com
Cat Herder

It's not quite supposed to unless you're using a boom pool for the wrong application. This is a really neat tool but it's different than something you'd use for an interview anything like that.

A shot of a jungle with this thing on top of your camera would make the viewer feel like their in the jungle. Pretty Slick...

September 12, 2014 at 6:14PM

Josh Paul
Most often DP, Direct or Gaff

Stereo Mics are designed to replicate the sound you would hear with your own ears if you were in that environment. Shotgun Mics are designed to zone in on a particular sound source. Studies have shown that humans can zone in on sound by directly looking at the source so our ears our the best of both worlds but stereo mics are close second.

Now not sure why he is getting thumbs down, he didn't say anything negative. We are here to learn.

September 13, 2014 at 12:33PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

It most certainly cannot.

September 17, 2014 at 1:51PM

Brad Taylor
Writer/Director

Lot of features. I liked a lot about the mini XLRS, for instance. For ambiance and windy environments, seems good.

But then I heard the samples and watched the video with the samples before know about the price. For the audio quality alone, I don't know with I'd be compelled to pay 800 bucks for this.

Even if I missed a little "punch" in the Ferrari sample, it does show pristine quality for sure. But I would test with a Zoom and Tascam recorders before, just to compare. Then again, it does sounds good for ambiance and windy environments.

September 12, 2014 at 6:32PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a great product, but while the audio quality sounds really good, it doesn’t seem any better than my H4n, which I picked up for 1/5th the price.

Then again, it’s really tricky and clunky to mount my H4n on the top of my DSLR (even with the kit I bought to do that) and it doesn’t have any shock mount, so this definitely has the advantage of being more portable and lightweight without picking up the handling noise of your camera. If you don’t have the advantage of an extra person that can record sound for you, and you’re looking for something that you can always have on your camera, this would probably be a great product. (I find I rarely pull out my H4n for b-roll footage and the like.) Still hard to justify that price though.

September 13, 2014 at 3:54AM, Edited September 13, 3:54AM

Ryan Toyota
Graphic Designer / Typographer / Video Editor

Ooh, I like that it has the mini XLR output. I really like all the features it's packing, but even for all of that $800 seems a bit much compared to some other options. I guess you're paying for the compactness just as much as the general features, though.

September 13, 2014 at 12:22AM

For 400$ a lot of people would get one (me included), 800$ is too much! I think the price will drop soon...

September 13, 2014 at 3:26PM, Edited September 13, 3:26PM

I wonder if a production use video would be more effective. Would be interesting to see how effective the handling noise dampening is.

September 14, 2014 at 5:27AM

Anna Lorentzon
Producer, Director

$800?!?! Nope. $200-400? Yes.

September 15, 2014 at 8:50AM, Edited September 15, 8:50AM

Definitely going to add this to my run and gun setup. It won't replace a boom pole and dedicated audio tech, but for grabbing quick shots/sound it will be a nice addition.

September 15, 2014 at 2:33PM

Philip Bradley
DP | Editor

I'm really curious to see how this thing ends up sounding. May have to rent it to determine that though. I've found that not only can you NOT tell what a mic truly sounds like from web videos, there's little methodical way to determine what settings were used, what ambient conditions, and what post-pro output. After buying and using both the Rode VM and VMPro, I sold both of them, thoroughly unimpressed with the quality of sound capture. A Zoom H4n mounted to my hotshoe with a muff on it delivered better quality.
But, the Rode form factors are really cool, and I WANT them to be good, so hoping they knock it out of the park with this one.

September 17, 2014 at 1:56PM

Brad Taylor
Writer/Director

They had some other nice new products at IBC this year

September 20, 2014 at 10:21AM

s c

Looks and sounds great, but for $800.... Get outta here lol. I could see $250 max but no way $800. Is this really worth $650 more than a Zoom H4N?? Hail no!

September 21, 2014 at 5:11AM