Here's a Quick Way to Make Your Edits More Visually Exciting

Animated Matte Tutorial in Premiere Pro
In an age when anybody is capable of creating an edit, how do you go about differentiating your work from that of everybody else?

If you're editing commercial or corporate projects, you're very likely to encounter the following question from your clients: can you make this edit more visually exciting so that we can portray our company in the most positive light? Although there are many ways to accomplish this feat including quicker cuts, some dynamic graphics, or a color grade that really pops, one extremely quick way is through overlaying animated mattes on top of your footage.

Here's Sean Mullen from Rampant Design Tools to show you just how quick and simple it is.

Although Sean is using some proprietary animated mattes from his company for the purpose of demonstrating this technique (and there are a few free ones available here), there shouldn't be any need to purchase them if you've got a little bit of extra time and access to After Effects. Although I can't say exactly how the Rampant Design mattes were created, you should be able to simply create and animate basic shapes in After Effects (and make the compositions any resolution you want), then export the composition as a QuickTime file with the alpha channel enabled. This way, you can create mattes that are fully customized to your needs without having to spend additional money. However, if you're in a bind and need some drag and drop mattes that will instantaneously give your videos more visual flare, the Rampant Design Tools mattes might just be a lifesaver.

Have you guys ever used animated mattes to spruce up your edits? Have you ever created mattes like these from scratch? If so, share your experiences and processes down in the comments!

Sweet and thanks for the idea. Now I can make my own in seconds instead of spending minimum $99...

January 6, 2015 at 7:15AM, Edited January 6, 7:15AM

I always enjoy the things Rampant makes. It is just too pricey for something I might use only a few times.

January 6, 2015 at 8:18AM, Edited January 6, 8:18AM

Matt Marrs
Director / Camera Operator

That's pretty cool... to be used once in a video. When you use that much you just go from "WHAAAT?" to the "why did you cut my head of?". But it is something to put maybe on the beginning of a "chapter" of the video. But it is quite expensive when you are not going to use all of it. If you had like just one template for about 5 or 10 bucks, maybe.

January 6, 2015 at 9:15AM

Lucas Zanella
Director / DP / Editor

I suppose you could do the same with some green shapes and alpha channels in Gimp, then do some creative fading, tracking, layering, and keying in your NLE software.

It would be easier to but this software and drag and drop, but what fun would that be?

January 6, 2015 at 9:47AM

*buy

January 6, 2015 at 9:50AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Rampant also has a budget friendly store. Check out budgetvfx.com for awesome $29 deals. Same quality products, at a lower price point.

January 6, 2015 at 10:06AM

Stefanie Mullen
CFO Rampant Design, Inc.

Thanks for the heads up. These mattes are really cool BTW.

January 7, 2015 at 8:17AM

Oh, cool. I could just recreate that in what, 20 minutes, in AE or Blender and throw it in Premiere. Though when you're shooting around the clock with little time to experiment in your edit, these babies start getting really handy.

I believe it's more something you'd get as a company instead of yourself as a freelancer, though. You see companies buying 3ds max suites for all their employees (programmers included), so they can afford a pack of these :D

January 7, 2015 at 5:22AM, Edited January 7, 5:22AM

Auke-Jan Weening
Dissapointment

Always have been happy with the products from Rampant.

Not only that, but Sean is a really cool dude who is always willing to help if you have any questions.

January 7, 2015 at 6:25PM

Anthony Vescio
Director/Editor

Funny sound bite at 7:09.

January 10, 2015 at 1:01PM

did something similar to this about 3 years ago just using masks in AE: https://vimeo.com/41808946

February 10, 2015 at 12:09PM

joe

Really? REALLY?! Isn't this supposed to be us flunking film school and aspiring to do great things? GREAT THINGS! This matte crap is low-rate TV shit that should be a last straw for all of us who fail in their endeavour to be the next Kubrick, no? I mean, come on! Is there really anybody who, given time and freedom, would ever use such stuff?! Yeah, I do this stuff for money as well and yeah, these mattes are really useful to please my anti-visual, regresso-creative producers and agency and to make some money for my next short. But then please, PLEASE, at least here where we're all so rebellious and outspoken about nobody needs film school and whatnot, at least here, can we be honest about it and write a headline "Here's some really tacky stuff to make your tacky, whack edit for that ballache-client in a heartbeat and then take the money and run."? I mean, come on... Just look at those things... Exciting?! For whom? My grandma?!

I hope the DOP whose composition you're absolutely raping doesn't know where your car is.

February 10, 2015 at 1:39PM, Edited February 10, 1:39PM

Simon Reichel
Director & Editor

And I hope your clients aren't reading this.

February 11, 2015 at 1:36AM

Touché.

February 17, 2015 at 4:53AM

Simon Reichel
Director & Editor

Hah I enjoyed reading this

April 11, 2015 at 5:50PM, Edited April 11, 5:50PM

They do have a sale today of 50% off. RDTBIRTHDAY is the code in case anyone is on the fence....

March 20, 2015 at 10:40AM