GoPro HERO4 Black Gets 60fps at 2.7K & 240fps at 720p

GoPro HERO4 Black Thumbnail
Announced a bit over a year ago, the HERO4 Black was the first true 4K camera from GoPro.

Today they've just announced some firmware updates that make the camera that much more versatile, including 60fps at 2.7K (whereas previously it was only capable of 48fps in NTSC). The HERO4 Silver, which uses the sensor from the HERO3 Black, also got some updates. Here's what's new:

HERO4 Black v02.00.00

New Modes + Features

• Adds Time Lapse Video mode
  • Adds 720p240 video mode (Narrow FOV only)
  • Adds 2.7K60 video mode

• Delivers the ability to add HiLight Tags during playback
  • Adds new gesture to display the last photo or video captured
  • Automatically locks the display after the camera goes to sleep
  • Adds Reset option for camera Wi-Fi settings
  • Displays Night Lapse shutter time on the camera status screen

General Improvements + Bug Fixes: Night Lapse stability improvements

While the 240fps at 720p is limited to the Narrow FOV only, it's now in line with the Sony FDR-X1000V 4K Action Cam, which is also capable of 240fps at 720p. The mode that still separates GoPro from the others is their 2.7K mode, which is a nice balance if you're just going back to 1080p but you want the stabilization options and the slow motion frame rates. The Time Lapse video mode option is a welcome addition, and it means you'll get ready-made time lapse videos right out of the camera instead of having to do it in post.

Check out the HERO4 page for more on how to update your camera.

You Might Also Like

Nice Update!

February 4, 2015 at 4:14PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

I would like to see 720p240 and 1080p120 on the GoPro Hero 4 Silver.
Maybe in some future firmware update? What do you think?

February 5, 2015 at 4:51AM

Roy Fochtman
2BadMen | Filmmaker | Photographer

Maybe in a Hero5. Right now, those modes (and real 4k rather than 15fps) are what they are using to get you to spend the extra $100 on the Black model

February 5, 2015 at 5:58AM, Edited February 5, 5:58AM

I also think the next GoPro Hero 4 Black+ will have an integrated display... I bought the 4 Silver, because of the integrated display, I really "need" it when I am filming, I have to see what I compose. Otherwise it would be like recording audio without hearing it...
But I am not going to buy any Hero5, just because of double fps... Let's see what comes next ;)

February 5, 2015 at 6:54AM

Roy Fochtman
2BadMen | Filmmaker | Photographer

Roy, do you have a smart phone, ipod or ipad? The app, via wifi, lets you see what you're filming...

February 5, 2015 at 7:05AM

Brandon Shafto
Cinematographer

Yes yes, I also have an smartphone, and the app works very good. But, for example, it`s quite hard to take the smartphone underwater :P I am very happy with the display of the GPH4 Silver:)

February 5, 2015 at 7:57AM

Roy Fochtman
2BadMen | Filmmaker | Photographer

I think: spend $100 more to get exactly what you want.

February 5, 2015 at 7:04AM

Brandon Shafto
Cinematographer

I've used the GoPro Hero 4 Black extensively with my aerial rig as soon as it was released. So I have first hand experience to see that higher frame rates only reduce the quality of the image. I will occasionally use the 2.7K/48FPS option if slow motion is really going to add to the action, but the 1080/120FPS looks like garbage. So I have no interest in even going up to 2.7K/60.

Noam Kroll explains why in his post about the GH4 and avoiding 96FPS

February 5, 2015 at 1:23PM

Daniel Jarvis
Editor

This evening I had the opportunity to shoot some footage at 240/720 indoors with medium bright lighting. I attached the Hero 4 Black to the leg of a tripod that was supporting a Sony FS700 that was also shooting at 240 fps. Regardless of the camera settings I tested on the GoPro (iso limit, color, low light, sharpness) I was unable to get footage that looks clean enough to cut with properly exposed 1080 footage. I will give it another shot under full daylight, but so far I am not as happy with the update as I initially thought I would be - that said, the 4K looks great when I shoot outside and I I hope I will find other settings that will let me create moderate if not super slo-motion. I driving to the mountains to try out the 2.7/60 setting early tomorrow morning. I am pretty new to GoPros, however, I have been shooting a lot with various larger cameras for about 5 years now. When I first looked online for more info about the various settings I found this site: http://abekislevitz.com/ and read some good info and clear explanations about the various shooting settings for the camera. Does anyone know of any other good resources that I can check out to learn how to get the best possible footage from these tiny cameras? RE: the update - despite using a recommended card (sandisk extreme 64) and a fully charged battery, I found that at 240/720 my recordings would randomly end anywhere from 3 to 8 seconds after I hit the record button on my phone - however, I had no indication that the camera had stopped recording on the camera or the Android app. Is anyone else experiencing short record/random stopping issues with the new setting?

February 5, 2015 at 8:53PM

Myke Scaffidi
Editor/DP

I haven't used the gopro 4 yet, but they generally suck at low light...part of it is because the sensors are really small...that's one reason why larger-than-super-35 cameras like the 5D and A7S shoot so well at night...but this is ignoring that you're shooting 240fps indoors! I'd request HMI's with electronic ballasts at the least before attempting 240fps indoors. That's over three stops more light. That GoPro was probably already starved for light at 24fps.

February 12, 2015 at 3:52PM

Daniel Mimura
DP, cam op, steadicam op