April 12, 2015
NAB 2015

DJI's New Ronin M Gimbal Stabilizer Is Half the Weight of the Original

DJI Ronin M Gimbal Stabilizer
Following up on the success of their flagship gimbal stabilizer, DJI has announced the Ronin M, which is half the weight of the original and can carry loads up to 8lbs.

With the halved weight limit, the Ronin M is going to be an excellent gimbal option for many of the smaller cameras out there today, from mirrorless cameras like the GH4 and A7s to Blackmagic's cameras and beyond. It seems that DJI is taking a similar road to Freefly by segmenting their lineup of stabilizers by carrying capacity.

Here's a brief look at the Ronin M from Dan Chung the fine folks over at News Shooter:

And here's the teaser for an upcoming promotional short film shot exclusively with the Ronin M. The film, simply entitled Lifted will be released on Friday the 17th:

Here are the specs that we know so far for the Ronin M:

• Weight: 5 lbs
  • For camera/lens combos up to 8 lbs (3.6 kg)
  • Over 6 hours of battery life
  • Fully Removable handles
  • Two regulated 12V P-taps, one 500mAH full-size USB connector, and a DJI Lightbridge connector
  • Quick release system for the top handle allows users to mount the DJI Ronin-M easily to jibs, cranes, tripods, and many more.
  • Solid, one-piece, magnesium camera-support frame provides extreme structural rigidity.
  • Fully compatible with the optional DJI Ronin Thumb Controller

The DJI Ronin M is expected to come in below the $2000 mark and should be available for pre-order by the end of the month.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

Sold!!!

April 12, 2015 at 11:31PM, Edited April 12, 11:31PM

Jonesy Jones
Storymaker

April 13, 2015 at 12:01AM, Edited April 13, 12:01AM

Love you Dji!! This is great news. Way to shut down Freefly for good.

April 13, 2015 at 1:15AM, Edited April 13, 1:15AM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

I don't think you have ever had to deal with their customer service.. Just wait its a blast...

April 13, 2015 at 11:05AM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

I've had to call them a few times when I first got my Ronin. It wasn't that bad. Short wait time and they were helpful.

April 13, 2015 at 11:25AM

They were super unhelpful to me after i spent 4k. Call time was not terrible... Its their lack of respect and knowledge is what lost lost me.. Just saying. Im sure everyone gets different experiences, I just want to share mine.. DJI thumbs down!

April 13, 2015 at 12:48PM, Edited April 13, 12:48PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

I may very well end up buying this but what I'm really hoping to see is one of the bigger manufacturers creating something like the Nebula 4000.

The footprint on these gimbals is still fairly large. When I'm on a documentary shoot, I like to minimize my presence as much as possible. As compact as the Ronin M is, I'd still stand out quite a bit. Plus, if I'm out in the field for twelve straight hours even something as light as this is going to be an endurance test.

But, again, this looks pretty great.

April 13, 2015 at 8:24AM

Read my lips: you don't want to hold it for 12 hours.
It's like holding a bag of potatoes in front of you as steady as you can for as long as possible.
Gimbals are great, but not from the run & gun doc style. (Although running looks very smooth...)

April 13, 2015 at 11:21AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

Then check out the Exoskeleton at BeyondHD.

April 13, 2015 at 12:01PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories
1932

Interesting to see that DJI's choice of material means that weighing half = also half the maximum payload. As if they shrunk every part by 50% ;-)

April 13, 2015 at 11:24AM, Edited April 13, 11:24AM

WalterBrokx
Director, DOP, Writer, Editor, Producer

way too many companies at NAB right now trying to sell their gimbals, DJI has a strong competition... we will see, most importantly, i hope DJI does fix their customer service first and foremost.

April 13, 2015 at 3:43PM